Why become a member? ×

So I am in the process of totally rearranging my pedal board and I am in the need of a high gain distortion pedal.

My Boss MT-2 Metal Zone stacked into a Joyo Orange Juice (set to a low gain overdrive), really tightens up the Metal Zone, and mixed with parallel dry signal, via a Boss LS-2, at an about 35% dry signal/65% distorted signal ratio, gets me really close to the kind of high gain distortion sound I want.

However, judging from various demos and sound clips, it seems like either the EHX Nano Metal Muff or Ibanez Super Metal Mini could get me even closer, and without the need for the Joyo Orange Juice, since they are already much tighter sounding than the Metal Zone.

The EHX Nano Metal Muff or Ibanez Super Metal Mini seems quite close in terms of character, but I am having a hard time judging which would likely give me the best result, so can someone who has first hand experience with either or both please guide me?

I like to point out I am definitely not looking for the popular Darkglass fizzy distortion top end on top of clean bass sound, and I am actually satisfied with whatever low end the high gain distortion naturally cuts mixed with the full frequency dry signal and don't mind loosing a bit of low end when using my high gain distortion.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Seriously I do something very similar with my drive units and I've found the DOD 250 to be really great at thickening stuff up. It's a really common design and very similar to the MXR distortion plus (as well as many others), so there's bound to be cheaper clones of it around.

• Like 1