Why become a member? ×

Tone Challenges

BassAdder60

Well after trying three compressors and not liking the results at all I’ve changed back to using the MXR m81 pre amp and added some pedals after for various volume boosts and further EQ options 

Ampeg Opto Comp - did a decent job but added a warm high end cut off 

Keeley Bass Limiter - superb but I didn’t feel it was doing much

MXR M87 compressor- also nice but just couldn’t dial in a sound that didn’t kill my dynamics 

I now have a board as below giving me  

Clean Preamp ( MXR is superb )

Spark Booster ( adds a lift and hits my CTM100 input a little harder 

MoJoMoJo ( adds more grunt and deep low end tone )

They all play nicely together and each one in turn improves the sound which was naturally my aim 

I must stop now and be content with the result !!3B5EA072-089F-44CF-A226-3860B3AA0BA7.thumb.jpeg.b58278481ed13f3e4f19fefe9288a626.jpeg

I am not much of a compression guy either, outside of post production mixing and mastering that is of course.

I do tend to use some very subtle compression, but an untrained ear probably couldn't tell the difference, more so of a feel/tone thing than it is a way to control my dynamics, I very much prefer the latter intact.

But since drive technically does compress the signal slightly, technically you would use subtle compression as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

45 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am not much of a compression guy either, outside of post production mixing and mastering that is of course.

I do tend to use some very subtle compression, but an untrained ear probably couldn't tell the difference, more so of a feel/tone thing than it is a way to control my dynamics, I very much prefer the latter intact.

But since drive technically does compress the signal slightly, technically you would use subtle compression as well.

That’s true and using a full fat valve amp I get input compression the harder I hit the input ! 
Definitely couldn’t hear or see any real advantage using a compressor live.

Perhaps in a studio maybe ? 

Yep, compression at home when learning new material is great for me but in a band mix I prefer without. 

Nice thought out selection of pedals though, do like the TC Spark for natural sounding warmth & a tad of drive.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, compression at home when learning new material is great for me but in a band mix I prefer without. 

Nice thought out selection of pedals though, do like the TC Spark for natural sounding warmth & a tad of drive.

Yes for sure .. both the TC pedals work well even with minimal drive.

The advantage of the CTM100 head is I can hit the input with extra signal and it adds to a lovely tube warmth and drive. With extra EQ points too it all seems to open up more tones. 
The MXR M81 preamp is amazing and works very well in a simple format 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1