Why become a member? ×

Getting a pickguard made from a picture

allighatt0r

I'm after a pick guard for my BB614. Yamaha have recently released a BB414 with a pickguard, which is cunningly called a BB414x. To cut a long story short, i want a BB414x pickguard for my BB614.

One of the guitards in my band owns a music shop and stocks yamaha, and has been trying to speak to his yamaha rep about getting one as a spare part order, however he's not getting anywhere fast.

I've managed to find a fairly large picture of the bass in question, i was just wondering if it would be possibly to seng it to a luthier, get it made and how much it might end up costing me. The picture is [url="http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/57362_l.jpg"]here[/url].

What are people's thoughts? the only thing i'm worried about is getting it blown up to scale properly. I guess i could scale it up using the neck scale as reference or something, but i've never done something like this before. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I've made loads of non-standard pickguards and would say that the picture you have provided is fine but an accurate job could only be done with the bass itself being made available to the maker of the guard - forget trying to scale it up. You could of course make your own template from card which could then be sent to the maker but again I would say accuracy can only be guaranteed with the instrument in front of the maker.

Why bother trying to get reps involved? The most of them are useless. I've ordered stuff direct from Yamaha. Trawling through my email gives me -

YAMAHA UK
UK Technical Support is available by telephone on 0870 4445575 -
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (4.30pm on Friday).

Phone them up, describe the part, credit card details... job done.