Why become a member? ×

Spector Dimension and Fluence Pickup combo

Pinball

Hi, just thought I would share my thoughts on my latest purchase.

I have been happy playing a Manton Titan 5 string live for some time and plan to continue doing so. I never use the B string as I use fat flats and "down tune". To maintain some string tension I tune G, C, G, C, F, which makes there music playable haha! so my requirements are unusual and very tailored to the band. 

My ideal bass would be Lightweight, Multiscale and longer than my current 35" scale on the E. It must also have a killer/"even" sounding pickup system, with a solid bottom end, that works well with pedals. In "dreamland" it would be headless too but getting something so niche is outside my budget.

I looked around and amazingly have found that the current Spector Dimension 4 seemed close to my requirements so I headed off to Bass Direct with a handful of cash and some trades. It didn't disappoint. The strings have a nice tension, bass is nice and lightweight. The neck is thin and fast but what I really love is the control system.

The Fishman Fluence pickups sound great as are very usable. By that I mean that they seem to sound great on all the settings and have plenty of low end on tap.

I have been playing with it and recording at every opportunity. I'm inspired!

Here is a review of the same bass: 

Spector NS Dimension 4SFB review | Guitar World

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved the dimension when I played it, and was all set to buy one from bass direct, as they were just about the cheapest, even though at the limit I was going to play. Unfortunately the didn't have the green one so I contacted them to ask about it, and they said the green one was going to be another £100 when it came in, so that was a bit too much.

There was a s/h green one in BD recently, I was tempted but need to clear some things out first. I will get one at some point, the only thing that concerns me is the whole '5th string doesn't go over the pickup' situation as argued about a lot in 'the other place'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I loved the dimension when I played it, and was all set to buy one from bass direct, as they were just about the cheapest, even though at the limit I was going to play. Unfortunately the didn't have the green one so I contacted them to ask about it, and they said the green one was going to be another £100 when it came in, so that was a bit too much.

There was a s/h green one in BD recently, I was tempted but need to clear some things out first. I will get one at some point, the only thing that concerns me is the whole '5th string doesn't go over the pickup' situation as argued about a lot in 'the other place'.

The green would have been my preference but I wasn't prepared to pay the extra or wait, as I liked the faded black too.

I did my usual bit of research and only found two negatives, that didn't seem to be clear cut and both referred to the 5's.

1. A reported issue with a weak string with the first batches but read that it had been fixed

2. A bit of neck dive as they are lightweight. There were also plenty of people who said theirs were fine and well balanced.

You are right to be cautious as I had a weak string an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro 5 that made the B string useless.

Hopefully that is all sorted and neither

Not a problem with the 4 obviously. I guess the secret is to try before you buy.  

Edited by Pinball

1 hour ago, Pinball said:

The green would have been my preference but I wasn't prepared to pay the extra or wait, as I liked the faded black too.

I did my usual bit of research and only found two negatives, that didn't seem to be clear cut and both referred to the 5's.

1. A reported issue with a weak string with the first batches but read that it had been fixed

2. A bit of neck dive as they are lightweight. There were also plenty of people who said theirs were fine and well balanced.

You are right to be cautious as I had a weak string an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro 5 that made the B string useless.

I played one in PMT, and loved its playability, didn't have any neck dive that I noticed, also didn't seem to have a weak B string, but you don't really get to test it that much in a shop. I didn't know if the issue had been fixed or not as there was never an indication from spector it was an issue, but it clearly was for some people. 

I would still pick up a green one (or better, the red one) if one popped up while I had the money!

Have fun with it, I really enjoyed the pickup options and basic sound (although I found it had a fundamentally good sound when off, which is always important)

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

RE: I really enjoyed the pickup options and basic sound (although I found it had a fundamentally good sound when off, which is always important)

Yes it is the first bass that I have had where I can flick though the 3 settings and get a great usable tone in each, without having to change the volume.