Why become a member? ×

Pickup upgrade suggestions? [5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass content]

I got this 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, tuned in F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps higher than regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, that sounds nice acoustically and plays amazing, but that I haven't played much due to my dislike of the stock pickups.

It did help a lot to wire the 2 stock J pickups in series and wire them directly to the jack output socket, and it actually sound just fine now, however still not like I'd ideally want it sound, like a bit too polite, and even if in series a typical J Bass burby and growly quality to it, where I'd want no burb, less growl, and rather want snap and bite instead, if that makes sense.

The issue however is that the stock pickups and the respective cavities are both the length of regular 4 string neck J pickups, but then the mounting screw "ears" are located like those of a regular 4 string J bridge pickup.

So what are my options beyond simply re-routing the pickup cavities to whatever pickup I desire?

I figure I could rehouse a regular 5 string J pickup in the stock pickup housings, if the replacement pickups are not sealed and not too long, eventually get a non sealed 4 string rail/blade bridge pickup, if 5 string pickups won't fit the housing, but that does limit my options quite a lot.

What other options would I have, and which pickups would you suggest?

I should maybe add that ideally I want something a bit more edgy and aggressive sounding than your typical J pickup, but not at the expense of definition and articulation, not too bassy either, but preferably with a relative strong mids presence, and , as said, more snap and bite, less growl, and no burb, as well as they ideally should be hum cancelling (I have nothing against wiring two regular single coil J pickups in series though, if that is what it takes to get my desired hum free tone.

Oh, and the string spacing is 16.5mm.

Here's a bit more info about the bass in question, as well as a photo:

On 07/06/2023 at 19:30, Baloney Balderdash said:

Don't think I've posted this before here, my just 28.5" scale 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, with a Poplar body, Maple neck and Jatoba fretboard, tuned to F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning.

16.5mm string spacing, and as good as perfect fretwork from stock, allowing for nice low action without any fret buzz whatsoever, which makes it really nice to play.

However I really didn't like how the stock pickups sounded, though it did help to wire them in series, but still not really satisfied with the tone they deliver, even if the bass sound nice acoustically, and are really quiet, even before I wired them in series, as Ibanez apparently started using shielded wiring, even in these budget basses.

The problem however is that both pickups are standard 4 string J pickup neck length, but while he mounting "ears" got standard 4 string J neck spacing, so finding replacement pickups is somewhat problematic.

So haven't played it much, but just gave it new strings and tried play it again, and as said, it plays really nice, and with the stock pickups in series it doesn't sound bad either, just kind of bland and not my taste, despite as said actually sounding nice acoustically.

So yeah, need to find some replacement pickups to my liking that fits the unusual pickup cavities, or having them re-routed to give me more options.

Anyway here it is :

image.thumb.png.7b30b4d3f28dc538319418c56dc2ceb4.png

Replacement/Upgrade pickup suggestions are very welcome.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash