Why become a member? ×

Has anybody ever tried these?

TheGreek

So-called rust erasers are fine grit grinding stones/pads (I have one - not this model - for kitchen knives, etc). Personally, I wouldn't bother. Pole pieces are quite soft metal and I wouldn't be keen to use this on them unless the corrosion was particularly severe. A little surface rust doesn't affect the ability of the pole pieces to do their job and if you remove it, you just expose fresh metal, which will promptly start to rust.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

So-called rust erasers are fine grit grinding stones/pads (I have one - not this model - for kitchen knives, etc). Personally, I wouldn't bother. Pole pieces are quite soft metal and I wouldn't be keen to use this on them unless the corrosion was particularly severe. A little surface rust doesn't affect the ability of the pole pieces to do their job and if you remove it, you just expose fresh metal, which will promptly start to rust.

Indeed; any kitchen 'Scotchbrite' pad will do the same job, or an india-rubber (eraser...). Once rust-free, it used to be custom to apply varnish (clear nail varnish..?) to the poles to prevent further tarnishing. Is it worth the bother..? Not to me, but... :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1