Why become a member? ×

New BassChat 8"Cab design

Phil Starr

50 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Snap, just coming out, hopefully of a chest infection compounded by a second infection to my throat. Had a gig in the middle and it was close by so we did not cancel but I did not sing, due to both my stupidity in forgetting my mic stand and the throat. I am just waiting for the other members of the band saying the vocals were better that night.

There seems to be a lot of this around at the moment, likewise just recovering from similar, has taken about 3 weeks.

On 18/04/2024 at 10:17, Phil Starr said:

Hi all, just to say I haven't forgotten this design but I've not been well. Recovered now, but I've lost a couple of weeks and I'm behind with everything. It's going to be a few weeks catching up before I get time to re-visit this. I know a few people are revving up and ready to go but if you are patient it is still coming

Glad you're feeling better Phil!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, well the drugs are working and I'm feeling a lot better. In my case it was caused by a PE and deep vein thrombosis and I got the chest infection thing at the same time. I survived and my lungs are healing but it wasn't nice. Back at the gym now and digging the garden and starting to sing again so all is good.

Anyway yesterday I ordered a couple of Fane 8-225's so I can build the prototype and I'll try and dig out my draft plans and get them off to @Bassybert for drawing once I've made a few sketches.

We are back on track :)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

Hi all, well the drugs are working and I'm feeling a lot better. In my case it was caused by a PE and deep vein thrombosis and I got the chest infection thing at the same time. I survived and my lungs are healing but it wasn't nice. Back at the gym now and digging the garden and starting to sing again so all is good.

Anyway yesterday I ordered a couple of Fane 8-225's so I can build the prototype and I'll try and dig out my draft plans and get them off to @Bassybert for drawing once I've made a few sketches.

Good to hear you're on the mend, Phil!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

That’s great news to hear you’re ok Phil 😊

• Thanks 1

Great news you're feeling good Phil!

I'm really interested in this cab. My 14 year old daughter started playing bass a few months back and her and her friends have formed a little band (one has an electronic drum kit and another plays guitar and is interested in other instruments e.g. autoharp, uke, banjo, zither...). I've been trying to sort out a lightweight rig 
she can carry to the drummer's house, down the road. On Saturday I got a little Hotone Thunder bass, from Andertons for £50, and it's pretty impressive for such a tiny thing. 
Now I'm thinking this amp with a good 8" cab would be spot on for her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bartelby said:

I got a little Hotone Thunder bass

Have the same myself, bought in anticipation for the 8" cab build 😀

Cab build hit the skids when I grabbed a 2 x 8" cab from eBay for £40 😮

Ply is free to uplift should anyone in Central Scotland need some for their build 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Just re-read through this thread and I saw mention of kickback stands. I’ve got some ‘acoustic’ gigs coming up where I will be using my NS EUB through my Fane Sovereign equipped TC BG250 208 combo, and knowing the gigs are a bit limited for space, I bought this little stand off Thomann for the princely sum of £16.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ortega_oas_fl_amp_stand.htm

Coincidently, the angle of the stand matches the angle of the leg of my IKEA desk. This pleases my CDO (OCD but in the correct order 😉)IMG_8413.thumb.jpeg.2923bb579456b6e378ebca0b96b27491.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well Blue Aran finally delivered my speakers, if you order from them and anything is marked out of stock then cancel that item. They held on to my order until everything was in, literally for months. Anyway here now and I've sent the revised drawings to @Bassybert who will turn them into something presentable and double check everything. I'll start making sawdust once I have the drawings back.

• Like 9

On 31/05/2024 at 12:34, Matt P said:

I recently played my first proper gig with my Stagg EUB, previously i've used it many times at church either with an amp behind me or more recently with IEM's.

the gig was an acoustic session in a brewery and due to transport issues and timing we opted to take as little kit as possible, this gave us just a single monitor for the 3 of us (acoustic guitar, EUB and Cajon). we luckily had someone running the desk for us who knows what they are doing but i really struggled to hear myself enough.

I was running into the desk via a small pedalboard (tuner, compressor, HPF, EQ, chorus, Radial Di) all the reports i got were that i sounded pretty good in the room and could be heard clearly but on "stage" i was struggling.

I'm thinking that i need to sort some sort of monitor for these type of situations but whatever i decide on needs to be small and easily portable. my rig for other gigs is a Markbass F1 and a pair of gen 2 barefaced midgets but i don't want to take that as space is at a real premium. I do own a Trace acoustic Cube and was wondering if this might work with suitable eq? another option is that we have a second aux feed from the desk and a spare power amp channel so maybe a small speaker cab with just the bass? there is a PJB Earbox in the classifieds that looks like it might work, or maybe i have a go at some DIY and try to build either the 6" o 8" basschat cabs.

What are the hive mind's suggestions? Ideally i'd like to keep the cost down under £200 but if i can sort something with what i have that would be great.

Unfortunately at the moment we're not in a position where we can all go to IEM's and for the sort of stuff we're doing we rely on being able to hear the audience a fair bit so the isolation of IEM's wouldn't work.

Matt

On 20/07/2023 at 16:53, FirstBass said:

One more pic.... I has finished it.

Came out well... Apart from a router incident but I somehow managed to salvage it. 

7.2kg. 

Now off to give it a spanking 😁

IMG_20230720_164605482_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

Love this. Exactly what I need. All I need is a workshop, some more tools, and... and... TIME (that was it... where is all that time?) 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grelum said:

Love this. Exactly what I need. All I need is a workshop, some more tools, and... and... TIME (that was it... where is all that time?) 😂

Time is what you have less of when you retire.  I wonder how I fitted everything in when I worked.

Posted (edited)

Hi all, we have our drawings, many thanks to @Bassybert for drawing them up and @SamIAm for checking them, any mistakes are mine :) (hoping there aren't any of course) I've swapped out the origianl hand sketch at the top of this thread and there is a  link to download the drawings in PDF

image.png.badb977b938df50c0ad64e486d078d27.png

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Absolutely brilliant timing Phil. I only came upon this thread the other day and wondered when the drawings would be available. Thank you so much for all your time and effort

• Like 1

On 10/07/2023 at 10:25, Phil Starr said:

Many thanks to James @Bassybert for the drawings. This is the new shape design adapted to be cut out of a 1220x610 piece of plywood readily available from DIY stores.

image.thumb.png.89a5e2f8ff3aff6eaa73a385c8ece3f5.png

image.thumb.png.13c68016d781e5b6b062cbce835b6c7b.png

Basschat-8-DIY-Cabinet-Plans-3.pdf 418.75 kB · 3 downloads

Hi Phil

Although it looks like it should be , the download doesn't seem to be a pdf. It looks like the way the file is named has confused things (or the pdf name is not at the end of the file name as in .pdf

• Like 1

Nice, very helpful drawings, but.....

- the dimensions are miniscule and really difficult to read,

- changing the 274mm dimension to 276mm wouldn't alter the design but would greatly simplify cutting.

• Like 1

The post on p6 (just a few posts above) was obviously just a screenshot but I've now added a link to the PDF. I put the link to the PDF on p1 because that is where most people are likely to find it first of all unless they have been following this thread for a while.

I'm not doing the drawings but so long as you can make out the dimensions that's what I'll use for the prototypes and I think it's as well to wait until all the gremlins have been discovered before making too many changes. Poor @Bassybert will be doing this as a full time job otherwise :)

Changing that dimension crossed my mind when I drew up a cutting list, I might do it when I actually get the table saw fired up. All our other designs have been built measured and tested before publishing but I''ve made a lot of people wait too long for this so I decided to publish a 'beta' version so you could get on with a build if you want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stevie said:

- changing the 274mm dimension to 276mm wouldn't alter the design but would greatly simplify cutting.

If you look at the pdf plan on the computer you can enlarge the document and the measurements remain sharp and very readable

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stevie said:

As @grelum kindly pointed out, a simple zoom into the pdf and everything’s nice and clear 😊

IMG_5677.thumb.png.99aa33f87804e6cbf86463e4eaafa38d.png