Why become a member? ×

3 bassists in a band

Oomo

14 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It's easy to write off everything that explores new territory and push progress forward, hence falling out of the norm, and that you therefor refuse or even right out fail to understand, as wan k or nonsense, but in the end that is your loss really.

I really don't think that a group of (admittedly highly accomplished) bass players taking turns to show off their astonishing techniques (yes, I did watch the video you linked above) could be described as "exploring new territory", "pushing progress forward" or "out of the norm".

Yes, the playing by each individual is remarkable, but pushing progress forward? Musically, they are working over pretty conventional forms, which are intended more as vehicles for them to showcase their abilities than to explore new musical territory.

I'm happy to see great musicians making a good living and people enjoying it. Nowt wrong with that. If you enjoy it, great. But why not just state that you like it, rather than justifying your preference by claiming that your liking it demonstrates your superior taste and/or how original you are?

My initial comment that you highlight above was intended to be light hearted. Life is generally more enjoyable when you don't take it, or yourself, too seriously.

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I really don't think that a group of (admittedly highly accomplished) bass players taking turns to show off their astonishing techniques (yes, I did watch the video you linked above) could be described as "exploring new territory", "pushing progress forward" or "out of the norm".

Yes, the playing by each individual is remarkable, but pushing progress forward? Musically, they are working over pretty conventional forms, which are intended more as vehicles for them to showcase their abilities than to explore new musical territory.

I'm happy to see great musicians making a good living and people enjoying it. Nowt wrong with that. If you enjoy it, great. But why not just state that you like it, rather than justifying your preference by claiming that your liking it demonstrates your superior taste and/or how original you are?

My initial comment that you highlight above was intended to be light hearted. Life is generally more enjoyable when you don't take it, or yourself, too seriously.

16 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, it wasn't just a one off show, they toured like that and made an album together as well.

Victor Wooten also have a project together with Steve Bailey called Bass Extremes with several shows and a couple albums behind them, where they invite and cooperate with other bass players making bass centered music as well, their latest album for instance features a track that they composed and recorded together with Tool bassist Justin Chancellor.

And yes, composing based on several basses is something relatively innovating, and certainly not the norm.

Lighthearted insults?

It was clear you were trying tp be funny, but very much so by insulting stuff you didn't like, and at the expense of it.

I doubt anyone who actually enjoy this kind of wankfest by bad bassist, as you call it, would find you comments funny or particularly lighthearted. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And yes, composing based on several basses is something relatively innovating, and certainly not the norm.

Lighthearted insults?

It was clear you were trying tp be funny, but very much so by insulting stuff you didn't like, and at the expense of it.

I doubt anyone who actually enjoy this kind of wankfest by bad bassist, as you call it, would find you comments funny or particularly lighthearted. 

You really need to lighten up. I appreciate that Scandinavian winters are long and dark, which tends to engender a gloomy disposition among those who live there, but it's summer at the moment, so why the long face?

Yes, insults can be light hearted, although rarely, sadly, to those whose default position is taking offence. Still, I guess it shows how up to date you are.

Accomplished players are just as capable of indulgence as bad ones. You like something. I don't care for it. Why not accept the fact and stop digging a deeper hole for yourself?