Why become a member? ×

FretKing Esprit 4 Modified

Guest 6feet7

Guest 6feet7

As I couldn't afford a GUS bass and would love a thunderbird which wasn't neck heavy and prone to breaking I thought that this was the next best thing. Needed some moding though.

First the pickups were replaced with Seymour Duncans and some routing for a Gibson humbucker put right up next to the neck. One of the tone controls was changed for a 5 way rotary pickup selector switch. The rather crappy gibsonesque bridge was replaced with a tunomatic and thru-body stringing - bit like a flying V (had to add the chrome cover as the posts for the tunomatic had to be moved back a bit and the old holes plugged so the plugs needed covering), the plastic nut was replaced with a brass one and the rather boring black scratch plate replaced with a white one and a thunderbird decal added.

Now its got decent J and P bass pickups with a Gibson bass humbucker (and combinations of), looks sort of Thunderbird/Explorer but is balanced and less likely to have its neck break.

[quote name='6feet7' post='479125' date='May 4 2009, 05:17 PM']As I couldn't afford a GUS bass and would love a thunderbird which wasn't neck heavy and prone to breaking I thought that this was the next best thing. Needed some moding though.

First the pickups were replaced with Seymour Duncans and some routing for a Gibson humbucker put right up next to the neck. One of the tone controls was changed for a 5 way rotary pickup selector switch. The rather crappy gibsonesque bridge was replaced with a tunomatic and thru-body stringing - bit like a flying V (had to add the chrome cover as the posts for the tunomatic had to be moved back a bit and the old holes plugged so the plugs needed covering), the plastic nut was replaced with a brass one and the rather boring black scratch plate replaced with a white one and a thunderbird decal added.

Now its got decent J and P bass pickups with a Gibson bass humbucker (and combinations of), looks sort of Thunderbird/Explorer but is balanced and less likely to have its neck break.[/quote]

so how does it sound?

Simon does some very nice work indeed.

Personally I'd have gone with an EB0 large style humbucker at the neck even if it was just cosmetic to fit in looks-wise with the wider J and P pups. The plate around the bridge is an inspired move!

Now I've got GAS for a modified Europa Bass in either the new version or one of the few original models made with the Gibson-esque pups, to complement my Esprit V Custom guitar.

Good luck with you quest for a Gus G3 - what configuration are you after?