Why become a member? ×

What am I doing wrong?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='479189' date='May 4 2009, 06:15 PM']Shielding your bass and ensuring a good earth contact. The soldering to the casing is usually the hardest part with a dinky electric soldering iron.[/quote]

Agreed, I crank out the 40W iron for pot casings. I really ought to get an adjustable temperature one to save me swapping between the 25 and the 40 during a wiring job.

[quote name='neepheid' post='479206' date='May 4 2009, 06:40 PM']Agreed, I crank out the 40W iron for pot casings. I really ought to get an adjustable temperature one to save me swapping between the 25 and the 40 during a wiring job.[/quote]

I can stick it to the casing fine but usually use a lot of solder, do I need to make sure the contac is with the casing rather than with the solder?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='479225' date='May 4 2009, 06:55 PM']I can stick it to the casing fine but usually use a lot of solder, do I need to make sure the contac is with the casing rather than with the solder?[/quote]

It should be fine. On brand new pots, I rough up the area where I'm going to solder first, I think I read somewhere that helps. As long as the solder has taken to the casing and the wire's in the solder then it should be fine.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='479547' date='May 4 2009, 11:31 PM']Am I suppose to use special wire for earthing to the bridge as I usually use any old wire.[/quote]

Just use a spare bit of hook-up wire same as the rest of the electrics are connected with.

Does it buzz all the time or just when you touch the strings or a metal part? If you have a bridge earth wire, the other thing to check is that you have the wires on the jack socket connected the right way round. If they're the wrong way, all the metal parts of the bass will be "hot" and touching them will produce a buzzing sound.

[quote name='neepheid' post='479206' date='May 4 2009, 06:40 PM']Agreed, I crank out the 40W iron for pot casings. I really ought to get an adjustable temperature one to save me swapping between the 25 and the 40 during a wiring job.[/quote]
file the back of the pot where your going to solder it gets rid of the layer of oxide and makes the solder take really easily, and reduces the time and thus risk of ruining the pot

[quote name='bassman2790' post='479629' date='May 5 2009, 06:49 AM']Do you have dimmer switches in the room you're testing the bass in?[/quote]smart cookie, also fluorescent tube lights are buggers for earth hum. Before you go mad resoldering, check your lighting. I also had problems once whenever the fridge thermostat clicked in. By plugging the amp into a socket in the room furthest from our fridge (that happened to be the pub down the road) the earth hum ceaased and the service was bettter.

Although I have not done mega amounts of soldering electrics i have done heaps of craft soldering and found that bakers soldering fluid to clean the area to
be soldered, and then 'tinning' the point of contact with solder and the end of the wire, makes life so much easier.
Then place wire at soldering point, add heat for a couple of seconds, and it's done. not holding solder reel with third hand then so you don't spill any beer... :)
(you experts proably know this stuff ha!)
Andy