Why become a member? ×

NBD Mini Squier P

TheGreek

I acquired one of these to see what their like. Amazing little basses!! 

Previous owner had raised the action for no apparent reason - once lowered and reset it plays really nice. Very light strings make it really easy to play - "plays itself" - limited tonal range but anybody wanting to mess with the tone can always get effects pedals. 

This would make an excellent child's first bass or just for noodling in front of the telly. Easily worth the asking price.

• Like 1

I bought a red one of these a few weeks ago when I saw it hanging up in the secondhand section of Guitarguitar in Epsom. I've put an old set of short scale status hotwire flatwounds on it, a Fender hi mass bridge from my spare bits box, and a red pearloid pickguard from Brian Pillans. It looks incredibly cute & cool especially with the ridiculously chunky bridge. After setting it up it plays really nicely. I rather fancy putting in an EMG Geezer pickup but I don't know if it would be worth doing as I'm unlikely to record or gig with it in preference to my JMJ mustangs. I told the missus it'd come in handy for getting the grandkids into bass, but the eldest in only three so it'll still be a while before she grows into it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TheGreek said:

My thinking is leave it alone - not a bad little bass but not something I'd get a return on if I did upgrade the parts. It is what it is...a good little bass.

Surely you've upgraded something else which you can use the pickups from in this?

On 03/08/2023 at 15:25, TheGreek said:

My thinking is leave it alone - not a bad little bass but not something I'd get a return on if I did upgrade the parts. It is what it is...a good little bass.

If profit is your main concern I'd advise you to never ever buy another bass.

Basses are a bad investment, no matter how you look at it, way more profitable things to invest money in.

Or said in another way money spend on basses is profit lost by not investing those money in stuff with a bigger profit margin instead.

Also I'd advice you to stop playing all together and sell all your musical equipment, being a musician is not where the money is.

That and no one cares about music, and even less about bass in specific, or about you for that matter.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

If profit is your main concern I'd advise you to never ever buy another bass.

Basses are a bad investment, no matter how you look at it, way more profitable things to invest money in.

Or said in another way money spend on basses is profit lost by not investing those money in stuff with a bigger profit margin instead.

Also I'd advice you to stop playing all together and sell all your musical equipment, being a musician is not where the money is.

That and no one cares about music, and even less about bass in specific, or about you for that matter.

Before he actually started playing I was expecting some mad abstract free jazz improv thing.. Quite disappointed really... 

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Before he actually started playing I was expecting some mad abstract free jazz improv thing.. Quite disappointed really... 

I suppose that means you don't know who LOW are.

I can warmly recommend them.

Especially their debut album "I Could Live in Hope", released in 1994, their hat trick of 3 master pieces of albums, "Secret Name", "Things We Lots in The Fire" and "Trust", released respectively in 1999, 2001, 2002, and then their latest 2 albums "Double Negative" and "HEY WHAT", released respectively in 2018 and 2021, the latter two more electronically oriented, and especially "Double Negative" quite experimental.

In my opinion all 6 albums listed above are true masterpieces, and LOW is a criminally underrated band.

"Death of a Salesman" is from their 2005 album "The Great Destroyer" though.

One of my absolute favorite bands, if not my absolute number one favorite band, at very least among my 2 absolute favorite bands, together with Coil.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1