Why become a member? ×

LFSys Monza

bussonetthebass

19 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Hi Phil.It's the trend towards older people in their 40s 50s and 60s even that go to these Old school disco's which start in the late afternoon and finish early so they can get tucked up in bed by 10pm😁....https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/discos-for-grown-ups-pop-up-70s-80s-and-90s-disco-party-nottingham-tickets-873178980837

Bournemouth are doing one.😊 Whoopee do i'm in the category.

Ha, I'd be the oldest person there but it looks like a whole lot of fun. I was a DJ in the 70's and still have around 6,000 singles stacked away somewhere. I'll have to look out for Discos-for-wrinklies :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/07/2024 at 23:53, Mickyk said:

Ordered a Monza today,i am hoping it's gonna do the business with the new party disco type band we seem to be getting more call for recently.Personally i think it is down to the Discos for grown ups scene  that seems to be doing a lot of trade recently around the Nottingham,Derby, Leicester area anyway i am looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.

Great speaker. I am really pleased with mine. I have done a few gigs just using it and my Blackstar U700 head (250 watts @8ohms). More than adequate on its own and really reflects the range of tones the U700 can give.

I have also tried it sitting on top of my BF Two10S at an open air gig. Phenomenal combination, if you have an amp that can handle the combined 2.7ohm load (U700 can). I’m still toying with the idea of getting a second Monza and moving the Two10 on though. I think two would sound even better.

• Like 3

I've just acquired one through @GILLY , an all-round splendid chap. I'm mainly going to use it with double bass (Krivo through an EA Doubler), but I just gave it a quick burst of fretless through my Walkabout Scout and it sounds fantastic, really sings on the upper registers. Looking forward to giving it a first gig on Saturday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

One of the benefits of these cabs ( I have the Monaco ) is the dispersion of sound and how well you can hear the cab even though it’s a smaller cab 

Very impressive cabs 

Yes the only problem with the wide dispersion and being able to hear yourself more clearly is that you may think you are too loud. The first time I used mine I was told to turn up during soundcheck.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

You may or may not know that I had a Monaco, the 12"  version for a while and as I am getting a bit older and mor feeble and traded it for the lighter 10" Monza. The smaller size  also makes it easier to load the car when I have the full PA loaded. I knew that I would sacrifice a small amount but as I never pushed them too hard. I did not worry.

Yesterday we played The Greyhound in Blandford, Dorset. It was an open air gig and we usually play there twice each summer. However this was the first time I used the Monza there. I knew I would have to turn up the volume and I expected to have to tweak the low end a bit. I started to play and turned up and this lovely sound come out with plenty of usable low end came out. I had the feeling that it would have taken much more without breaking a sweat. I  use it with my Bugera Veyron, and amp that gets seriously loud. However I am sure that the Monza would handle everything I could through at it.

I am not on commission although I do get a nice cup of coffee when I drop in to LFSys World HQ in Casterbridge. Suffice to say that the Monza is a Hardy cabinet and it will not let you down.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Every time i play through mine they seem to sound better and better and I smile more and more…do speakers’bed in’ and loosen up?? I don’t know but these little buggers keep producing the right results for me x😊

• Like 5

I received my Monza cab the other day after a short wait of only 3 weeks ,I am very impressed with the Cab and it pairs very well with my Ashdown RM 500 Evo II.

So looking to forward to giving it a run out in our Party /Disco act which is slowly coming to fruition.

Thanks Stephen for the great communication. 

Here she is taking pride of place in my LR for now.

LFSysMonzaCab.thumb.jpg.edf765d9e308d9ad561eee8ea24b5da1.jpg

Edited by Mickyk
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well it does show that you can’t tell the difference between Monaco and Monza in a pic, unless you see them side by side. Good looking cabs IMO and in this case, you can judge the book by its cover.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Well it does show that you can’t tell the difference between Monaco and Monza in a pic, unless you see them side by side. Good looking cabs IMO and in this case, you can judge the book by its cover.

Just try taking mine away…….

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My new Monza was delivered just over a week ago. Having put it through its paces coupled with the Mesa WD800, I'm pretty sure it is a keeper. Hasn't been gigged yet but will definitely be more than loud enough for what I need.

A big shout out to Stephen for his prompt and courteous service. 👍

Ian

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I've now done 4 or 5 gigs with my Monza, and I promised @stevie i'd post my thoughts so here goes.

All gigs were with my Chicago-style blues band consisting of bass, drums, 2 electric guitars and harp/vocals. Moderately but not bonkers loud and all through backline, no PA reinforcement except for vocals, kickdrum and the harp combo is miked. On-stage volume is to loud to be comfortable, discussions about this on-going. All medium-sized pubs, no stage.

My signal chain is double bass -> Krivo mag pickup -> Headway EDB1 preamp -> thumpinator -> BeCos Stella compressor -> EA iAmp doubler -> cab.

The Monza has replaced an EBS Neo 2x12 with no apparent loss of volume. Comments from other band members along the lines of 'that box puts out a lot of sound' and 'the bass sounds fantastic' .  The bass frequencies are rich deep and warm. The Monza is much more sensitive to mids the the EBS or the EA VL110s I've also used, and I've found that some careful adjustment of high-mid and low-mid on the pre-amp has been required to remove any nasty nasal edginess whilst still sounding as much like a double bass as possible. I've also found it necessary to roll off a bit of the high frequencies.

This is an ongoing process but I think I'm getting close after 4 or 5 gigs. My guitar-playing son was in the audience last night and was full of praise for the bass sound.

The other observation is that this cab is happy to handle as much power as I have needed to throw at it, and seems to sound better the louder it gets. I've been told a couple of times to turn it down, which I'm happy about given my earlier struggles to get enough volume without massive feedback issues, in fairness mostly caused by pickups rather than cabinet choice.

I've now sold all my other cabs so I'm committed to the Monza, either with the iAmp doubler or my Walkabout Scout head for bass guitar when the opportunity for that arises. Hope that someone finds this useful, happy to answer any questions if I can.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, eude said:

That sounds amazing @pete.young.

My Monza should arrive next week, which I'm extremely excited about!

Enjoy! I’m very happy with mine.

As @pete.young said you do need to experiment a bit more with your eq than you might with other cabs that have a baked-in sound. The Monza will reproduce everything that goes into it. I found out how top biased my Warwick Gnome iPro was. @Phil Starr pointed out that the Gnome has anything but a flat response when the EQ controls are set at 12 o’clock and you certainly hear it with the Monza before adjusting the EQ.

That lesson learned, I have really grown to love it. It pairs extremely well with my Blackstar u700 that has a number of preamp and power stage voicings. Most of the time I am using the more classic valve amp voices (covers and blues) and that is exactly what I get out of the Monza. If I want a more modern “hi-fi” sound, it’s there too. This is unlike, for instance, my BF Two10 that can only really do vintage (by design). The U700 classic voices with the Two10 can be too old school and a bit ill defined. 

Volume wise, I don’t have an amp that is ever going to push the Monza anywhere near its peak but TBH, even with 250 watts @ 8 ohms, I have not yet needed to have the master much above 12 o’clock for most pub gigs. I find I can hear it even when I’m really close to it, which you can’t say about a lot of other cabs. I did try it on top of my Two10S at an open air festival gig: 700 watts @ 2.7 ohms but that volume level was completely unnecessary because of the excellent foldback provided by the organisers. It was also somewhat unbalanced with the Two10 getting 2/3 of the oomph and struggling to cope. It did make me think how good a 3 x Monza stack would be though🤟😀. I’ll have to win the lottery though, at the moment I’m aiming at another Monza when my piggy bank is full enough.

Sorry for the word vom. Enjoy your new cab day!

• Like 4

Couple of days in, but man alive this cab is incredible!
So much slam, punch, and the sound pressure this thing produces is incredible, I was actually quite shocked, it was like standing too close to a proper PA rig.

The build quality is impeccable. It's a lightweight cab, but extremely solid, reassuringly so.

I purposely left my amp set as I last used it at home with 2 x Barefaced One10s which had a combined load of 4 Ohms, the Monza on it's own, at 8 Ohms was so loud I had to turn it down.

The Monza also reproduces the low B on my 6ers much more effectively, which i was really looking for.

I don't mean to poo poo the One10s, they're great cabs, especially given the size and weight, but they're just too vintagey for me.

The Monza definitely hits everything I was looking for, and then some I imagine. I hope to get out to jam soon, so I can test it at proper volumes, but I'm extremely confident it will deliver :)

I should also add how great Stevie was to deal with, an absolute gent and clearly exceptionally talented!

Thank you @stevie!

Eude

image.thumb.png.1dc9e8a3bd32a59123a190c7952cf7b2.png

Edited by eude
  • Like 11

Glad to see you took the plunge Ewan, i didn’t think you’d be disappointed with one. When you use it first time in a band /jam situation you’ll be amazed at the dispersion and how you can hear yourself, i know i was ! Welcome to the club! 😊Enjoy mate x 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Glad to see you took the plunge Ewan, i didn’t think you’d be disappointed with one. When you use it first time in a band /jam situation you’ll be amazed at the dispersion and how you can hear yourself, i know i was ! Welcome to the club! 😊Enjoy mate x 

Thank you matey, and thank you for your advice on the subject too 😁

• Like 2