Why become a member? ×

40th Anniversary Precision £259 at Thomann!

Frank n funker

1 hour ago, sPiKi said:

Thanks ezbass. Can you remember what type of Hipshots they were and if they were a simple replacement.

USA, 1/2" Ultralights IIRC. Needed to pack the ferrules with tape a bit, but not masses.

2 hours ago, sPiKi said:

Has anyone done any upgrades to their 40th anniversary vintage P?

I really like this bass - the looks, the weight, the neck, the fun in playing it generally, but I have two issues.

First of all, while the tone is good the pickups lack a bit of oomph. Having watched lots of comparison videos of P pickups, I was thinking of replacing them with SD quarter pounders but do I need a new wiring harness? The pots it came with are OK but there's not much range on the volume or tone. The knobs are also a bit scratchy. I believe I would have to widen the holes in the scratchplate if I replaced those as I think Squier pots are slightly thinner than standard size.

Secondly, the tuners are really stiff and don't turn smoothly. I like the Gotoh GB 640s or FB30 lollipop tuners, but I haven't a clue if they would be an easy replacement and will fit, with the possibility of just drilling a couple of new holes.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

They very much have a vintage p sound., quarter pounders will be much more in your face.

40 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They very much have a vintage p sound., quarter pounders will be much more in your face.

Might be a good fit for me in a classic rock covers band I've joined.

2 hours ago, sPiKi said:

The other pickup I have in my basket is a Fender Pure Vintage 63. Sounds good too.

The Squier Anniversary PUPs and the Pure Vintage '60  and '63 PUPs all sound very similar; they have alnico pole pieces and winding specs. The Squier ones are not USA made and don't have p[aper bobbins and cloth covered wire but the bits that make the sound are very close.

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

The Squier Anniversary PUPs and the Pure Vintage '60  and '63 PUPs all sound very similar; they have alnico pole pieces and winding specs. The Squier ones are not USA made and don't have p[aper bobbins and cloth covered wire but the bits that make the sound are very close.

Thanks Stub. I'll have to consider my research...you may have saved me a few quid! 

Pure vintage '60 12.4k

Pure Vintage '63 12k

Custom Shop '62 10.5k

Squier 40th Anniv. 10.8k

They are all AlNiCo 5

So, oh dear, on basic specs the Squier should sound more like the Custom Shop - less punch but more 'detail'.

The Seymour Duncan are 14k with AlNiCo V (5), which is why they sound even more powerful but darker.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

3 minutes ago, Jasper said:

I have updated my 40th precision with a EMG Geezer pickup. Nice improvement in sound and potmeters are included 🙂

That complete wiring upgrade is not to be overlooked.

• Like 1