Why become a member? ×

GLASTONBURY 24

taunton-hobbit

17 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Unexpected highlight:

It's just a shame that they can't turn off the pile-driver banging away over the music. Can't the works be done at another time, when the festival is over..? :(

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It's just a shame that they can't turn off the pile-driver banging away over the music. Can't the works be done at another time, when the festival is over..? :(

'Dad' by name and nature eh?!

I'm pretty sure a variation on that joke has been wheeled out by almost every conservative (small c) parent regarding dance music for the last 40 years, and for disco, punk, dub, rock n roll, jazz etc before that. 'It's just noise!' 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

What pile-driver banging? The kick drum on that mix was pretty restrained compared with a lot of dance music.

12 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Would you like to go and sit with Disco Wave?

In Dad's defence, one of the privelliges of aging is getting to say the kind of things that grown ups used to say when you were young.

Just an observation, a lot of so-called dance music is extraordinarily boring and self-indulgent. Some of it makes prog rock sound like the Ramones. And yet the creators get away with it because of the cachet that the genre enjoys. As is so often the case in popular music nowadays, people are listening to a narrative rather than the actual music.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 02/07/2024 at 13:48, Lozz196 said:

Indeed, from what I`ve read apparently one of the guys who sadly lost their lives could only be identified by his tattoos. 

I was there. It was a job just to stay on your feet when a band came on and the weight of several thousand people pushes you forward.

The mud didn't help.

I don't think anyone thinks about it seriously until you're actually being crushed and can't breathe. Up to then it's all a bit of a laugh. 

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

In Dad's defence, one of the privelliges of aging is getting to say the kind of things that grown ups used to say when you were young.

Just an observation, a lot of so-called dance music is extraordinarily boring and self-indulgent. Some of it makes prog rock sound like the Ramones. And yet the creators get away with it because of the cachet that the genre enjoys. As is so often the case in popular music nowadays, people are listening to a narrative rather than the actual music.

For instance?

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

... people are listening to a narrative rather than the actual music.

It's bloody heard to listen to anything at all, let alone a 'narrative', when there's a forty-ton steam and diesel pile-driver banging away at 140db each side of the stage. ^_^

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's bloody heard to listen to anything at all, let alone a 'narrative', when there's a forty-ton steam and diesel pile-driver banging away at 140db each side of the stage. ^_^

I didn't hear anything like that from that video. I have heard ludicrously loud bass drum, generally from cars - when I worked at Tarmac, right by Birmingham airport, there was a car that would pull up to the car park exit barriers with booming bass easily audible in the office through triple glazing which totally silenced the aeroplanes.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

there was a car that would pull up to the car park exit barriers with booming bass easily audible in the office through triple glazing which totally silenced the aeroplanes.

Very cool :)

I really enjoyed watching/listening to a band called Justice - a French electropop/techno duo who headlined on the Sunday evening at West Holts stage. Immediately got online and bought some. Our house has been ringing with the sounds of it ever since. Excellent work. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I really enjoyed watching/listening to a band called Justice - a French electropop/techno duo who headlined on the Sunday evening at West Holts stage. Immediately got online and bought some. Our house has been ringing with the sounds of it ever since. Excellent work. 

Justice are heavyweights, really good stuff. The current Channel 4 Formula One show theme is one of theirs 👍

• Thanks 1

I saw Justice at Summer Sundae about a decade back. They had a brilliant stage setup with a central console of synths and sequencers that they both walked around with the glowing Cross logo hanging above it all - looked like some Star Trek/horror crossover. Very enjoyable and perfect evening festival closers. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Their debut Cross is the widely regarded by fans as the best of their 4 studio albums though I actually prefer their latest. Hyperdrama. Still, all of their stuff is great IMO

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2024 at 10:36, tauzero said:

Would you like to go and sit with Disco Wave?

Absolutely no idea whats going here but Im thoroughly enjoying seeing username randomly popping up across this illustrious site. Cheers.👍

17 hours ago, borntohang said:

I saw Justice at Summer Sundae about a decade back. They had a brilliant stage setup with a central console of synths and sequencers that they both walked around with the glowing Cross logo hanging above it all - looked like some Star Trek/horror crossover. Very enjoyable and perfect evening festival closers. 

Summer Sundae? As in Leicester Summer Sundae?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Summer Sundae? As in Leicester Summer Sundae?

I was about to say yes, the very same but looking at the lineup to find the year they clearly never played... I DID however see Simian Mobile Disco who famously had a hit collab with Justice, which must be where I got all this from?? 

My brain actually made a little comedy brakes-screeching car crash noise reading through the lineups and realising I had created an entirely false memory. I distinctly remember the cross hanging over the stage and everything. Bizarre moment! 

SMD were very good. They had this brilliant stage setup with a central console of synths, right... 

Edited by borntohang
  • Haha 1

I just saw an article from GB News about Idles set. They're not fans, who'd have thought it? Absolute fury about the anti monarchy chant (even though GB News hate Charles) and the dinghy and ceasefire displeased them greatly. I get the impression Idles my not be upset about this review.

The writer seems to think politics in music is a new phenomenon (it goes back at least 100 years) and exclusively liberals (Ted Nuget, Kid Rock & Jason Aldean are liberals?)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I just saw an article from GB News about Idles set. They're not fans, who'd have thought it? Absolute fury about the anti monarchy chant (even though GB News hate Charles) and the dinghy and ceasefire displeased them greatly. I get the impression Idles my not be upset about this review.

The writer seems to think politics in music is a new phenomenon (it goes back at least 100 years) and exclusively liberals (Ted Nuget, Kid Rock & Jason Aldean are liberals?)

I would imagine they would count that review from GoeBells news would be a badge of honour.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I just saw an article from GB News about Idles set. They're not fans, who'd have thought it? Absolute fury about the anti monarchy chant (even though GB News hate Charles) and the dinghy and ceasefire displeased them greatly.

Just about the perfect set then 😆

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, borntohang said:

I was about to say yes, the very same but looking at the lineup to find the year they clearly never played... I DID however see Simian Mobile Disco who famously had a hit collab with Justice, which must be where I got all this from?? 

That was 2008 - the same year I played there with my band at the time (alas I was horribly hungover and must admit I can’t remember much else about it.)

Happy memories eh!