Why become a member? ×

GLASTONBURY 24

taunton-hobbit

29 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The lyrics are great but now Idles need some better tunes to back them up and an image that isn't homeless heroin addicts from the 70s.

But surely that’s part of their appeal for many people? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The lyrics are great but now Idles need some better tunes to back them up and an image that isn't homeless heroin addicts from the 70s.

They look like what they are. They've not had easy lives, they have had addictions and personal problems. Music was their recovery and it's transformed their lives. They're now living their dream, touring the world, selling out big venues, headlining festivals, selling number 1 records

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They look like what they are. They've not had easy lives, they have had addictions and personal problems. Music was their recovery and it's transformed their lives. They're now living their dream, touring the world, selling out big venues, headlining festivals, selling number 1 records

I'll look up their touring schedule for France, to give me time to close all the doors and windows. :|

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll look up their touring schedule for France, to give me time to close all the doors and windows. :|

I’m not quite what it is, but some small thing is hinting to me you aren’t much of a fan……… 😁

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I’m not quite what it is, but some small thing is hinting to me you aren’t much of a fan……… 😁

Your acumen does you proud. B|

• Haha 2

On 01/07/2024 at 18:56, borntohang said:

My old man has been going as a steward for the last 15 years or so - albeit staying in a camper rather than a tent now he's the wrong side of 70. He just wanders around to catch random stages if not given guidance so I usually send him a few things to check out. Sent him off to Heilung this year and got a "what the hell was all that?" message back. I thought they were a weird lineup pick at first, but actually I've realised they're perfect - you want to wander round a stage you've never seen before, slightly wobbly on cider, and find a tribe of Scandinavians leathering drums with human bones over a drone backing. Glasto moment.

He set off at 10PM last night and got back to Yorkshire at 5AM this morning, which isn't bad. Last time I went with him the flooding meant we spent 5 hours queuing to even get out of the car park.

It was a very different kind of festival and audience for us, and odd to perform in daylight. Only the second time we ever did that, and so the atmosphere and energy was strange (but good). From this perspective the experience was fantastic, and the organisation top notch. Wildly impressed by that festival, to be sure.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2024 at 10:26, SteveXFR said:

And , possibly, more drugs than they know what to do with!

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

On reflection I don't really think that Idles are my kind of band. I like my performers to look a bit more fabulous and I want my angry aggression to be accompanied by a memorable tune.

Village People?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Rasputin was trenchant social commentary* with a great pop tune underneath...and some rather striking dance moves, too...

*Although I remain to be convinced that Grigori was ever referred to by any of his contemporaries, even Moscow chicks, as A Lovely Dear...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2024 at 09:55, BigRedX said:

Sorry Idles fans but to my ears they sounded like a messy version of Wire, Pink Flag period. Ha ha 100% agree with the 70s heroin addicts comment 

Edited by Barking Spiders

On 06/07/2024 at 10:55, BigRedX said:

They definitely need to up their image game. Maybe go for the tried and tested Joy Division look? I reckon a quick trip to C&A for some nice shirts and slacks, oh and some slip-on shoes, that should do the trick. Sorted.

Or just do what The Libertines and all the other 2000's indie landfill bands did and look like late 90's Shoreditch trust fund heroin addicts. 

Or combine both and the future could be theirs, Rodders! Bonnet de douche!!! Etc...

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

Try BHS. The one between Woolworths and Blockbuster video is the best one.

That made me larf out loud, that did. 

(then I googled Woolworths - where are UK folks getting their pick'n'mix from now?)

On 06/07/2024 at 09:55, BigRedX said:

There really is no excuse for this lot not to have a good wash and smarten themselves up a bit. Maybe they call themselves Idles because they can't be bothered.