Why become a member? ×

GLASTONBURY 24

taunton-hobbit

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Enjoyed Squid... But not Dua Lipa's pop-dance-fest. I always find it a bit worrying when there's more (choreographed) dancers on stage than musicians - it's no longer about the music, if it ever was!

Idles always great too. Shall peruse more when relaxing with a nice Penderyn after my gig tonight.

I like Dua Lipa and thought her Glasto performance was good but I do get what you are saying and I was hoping more for something a bit like this which is more like a band performance.

53 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I like Dua Lipa and thought her Glasto performance was good but I do get what you are saying and I was hoping more for something a bit like this which is more like a band performance.

At least she used a band. Ann-Marie just used backing tracks which shouldn’t be allowed at Glastonbury IMO.

Dua Lipa is in the genre that expects a show, and I think she holy delivered for a long period of time. A bit like a more polished Madonna/ Kylie show.

• Like 2

Watched about 20 minutes of coverage at around 7.00pm last night on BBC2 (I may wander onto iPlayer at some point today). 

It's like a three-day version of Later... with Jools Holland supplanted by hip young things (or as my mum would say, 'Boys in shorts'), making gravy by standing on a hill reading an autocue and waxing lyrical about how great past festivals were - it would be like me saying how great the Steve Hillage set was in 1979 -  then telling us they're going cut back to Mwombi N'Dunga, a folk/apala crossover artist from Mali doing an acoustic set.

Ack.

21 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Dua Lipa is in the genre that expects a show,

Many of the bands I like deliver a show - in funk The Show is a big part of it!

But I'd much rather watch a PFunk Show as it's the music that's at the forefront, not backing dancers and backing tracks...

10 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Many of the bands I like deliver a show - in funk The Show is a big part of it!

But I'd much rather watch a PFunk Show as it's the music that's at the forefront, not backing dancers and backing tracks...

She is not a funk artist though…..

While some of her arrangements have funk influences she is very much a female solo pop artist. You would expect the same from any of her contemporaries.

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

She is not a funk artist though…..

While some of her arrangements have funk influences she is very much a female solo pop artist. You would expect the same from any of her contemporaries.

To me, she's a bit like a pop version of Shania Twain. On her own, she is a great singer and can get up with a band and carry it off with great vocals, melodies and a captivating performance. She can also put on the big show, with backing singers, dancers, lights, theatrics, backing tracks and and go large with the performance and still pull it off. I'd love to see her do a stripped back MTV unplugged type set.

Edited by Linus27

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That was great but I was thinking more like this, just an acoustic guitar or maybe acoustic guitar and piano sort of thing. Really stripped back so the emphasis is on her voice.

Watched the Idles set on iPlayer this morning, nothing else piqued my interest (though may watch the PJ Harvey set later).

Think the Idles bass player used a Jazz, a Serek, a Mustang and a P. Assume that they were using multiple tunings, as the instrument changes were mirrored by the guitarists.

10 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Like always I enjoy Michael kiwanuka

Enjoyed that mostly although I have heard more spirited before, maybe needed a smaller area.

But now there is Cindy Lauper, who has a great band and.. well.. I think I will turn it off for a bit!

I tried to listen to Corinne Bailey Rae but just like when I listened to her new album I was left agog at the complete left turn she has taken. Awful imo. I feel like Olivia Dean has picked up where she left off. 

Coldplay 

insane production quality. If you said I was listening to a CS I would believe you, I kinda don’t know if I believe much of it is actually being played live!

Shame about Cyndi Lauper, and her band were so good too. 
Tried watching Idles, just not my kind of thing. - I can’t do stuff that’s 

so shouty / angry and with vocals like that, however impassioned.

Not bothering with Coldplay, but Jessie Ware on now and very groovy.

Olivia Dean was okay too, new to me and quite enjoyed her set.

Edited by casapete