Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters

Thump

Got a nano Q Tron today. Not much going control-wise  but it does have a tone that I like. I used to have the big old 24v wooden box one, and I do miss it. The nano goes some way to scratching that itch. 
Should I have gone for the Q Tron plus? 

Edited by mike f
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mike f said:

Got a nano Q Tron today. Not much going control-wise  but it does have a tone that I like. I used to have the big old 24v wooden box one, and I do miss it. The nano goes some way to scratching that itch. 
Should I have gone for the Q Tron plus? 

It does look nice and I want to try one - it’s a shame there’s no range control though. 

4 minutes ago, ped said:

It does look nice and I want to try one - it’s a shame there’s no range control though. 

I like its simplicity and it is hitting the sweet spot for me. It might do for you. I say go for it and get one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ped said:

If you want send it to me and I'll rehouse it for you in a bigger enclosure.  :ph34r:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Calling any current or former Mutron owners … ( @ped, @Quatschmacher et al) 

im building one of Aions pcb based on a mutron 3 

Im going to add a decay knob, the layout would be a lot simpler without the lp/bp/hp switch … for bass low pass is a given, but how useful is band and high pass? 

17 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Im going to add a decay knob, the layout would be a lot simpler without the lp/bp/hp switch … for bass low pass is a given, but how useful is band and high pass? 

Great! I didn’t use them on the Mutron but band pass useful on the Meatball when you have a blend knob. However if all the things to leave out, that would be top of my list. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ped said:

Great! I didn’t use them on the Mutron but band pass useful on the Meatball when you have a blend knob. However if all the things to leave out, that would be top of my list. 

Hmm 🤔. I was working out how to fit the extra pot in, and it would just about fit, but be far easier to miss it off… hmm 

48 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Ild make a meatball if I wanted a bigger box! 

I didn't really want a bigger box, but I made  meatball anyway - totally worth it; best envelope filter EVER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got some keyboard parts to put down for the new album and quite enjoying the Crowther Prunes and Custard filter. 

On Bass Guitar the SGFX Bi-Filter with a VCA type Compressor in front of it was the go. 

5 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I didn't really want a bigger box, but I made  meatball anyway - totally worth it; best envelope filter EVER.

Don’t … I’m trying not to have too many pedals built but eying up the meatball, agent00funk (+brown dog), prunes and custard as diy builds …

i mean the c4 can theoretically do all of this stuff right :facepalm:

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I concur with @ped, bandpass with a dry blend is great. The big box Qtron and I think the trutron 3x have a “mix” setting which blends in a fixed amount of dry with bandpass. High pass I never used on bass but it can be used to good effect: isn’t there part of Power Of Equality which uses that?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

i mean the c4 can theoretically do all of this stuff right :facepalm:

so as explanation - I've a C4 and it's great... but it's chalk and cheese to the analogue octave I accidentally bought on eBay (a valeton OC10) - this build is to see how close the C4 is for envelope filters.... so far it's been pretty good but a pain to set up...

11 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

so as explanation - I've a C4 and it's great... but it's chalk and cheese to the analogue octave I accidentally bought on eBay (a valeton OC10) - this build is to see how close the C4 is for envelope filters.... so far it's been pretty good but a pain to set up...

I have an OC10 as well, and think it's pretty much exactly the same as my OC2. Cool little thing.

27 minutes ago, ped said:

I have an OC10 as well, and think it's pretty much exactly the same as my OC2. Cool little thing.

I A-B’ed with @jimbobothy’s OC2 and the OC10 tracked better and had a warmer thing going on in the mids 

weighs a ton mind

Edited by LukeFRC

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

isn’t there part of Power Of Equality which uses that?

I’ve always thought he just switched to the DOD for that part, sounds like it to me but thinking about it if he had a Mutron there to record Sir Psycho Sexy then you’re probably correct.

10 hours ago, mike f said:

I’ve always thought he just switched to the DOD for that part, sounds like it to me but thinking about it if he had a Mutron there to record Sir Psycho Sexy then you’re probably correct.

From owning both in the past I’d say with almost 100% certainty that’s the DOD on Power of Equality

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Higgie said:

From owning both in the past I’d say with almost 100% certainty that’s the DOD on Power of Equality

This. If you watch the flea instructional video from the same era the tone is almost identical with the DOD.

I still have the Bass Player mag which features Flea (Feb 92) and in the interview he says he used Mu-Tron for Sir Psycho Sexy.  It was running out of battery and he did the track.  Then they changed the battery but it did not sound the same so they kept the first take.

Interestingly he says he is using Boss filter live because he cant get the Mu-Tron to work right onstage.  I always wanted a envelope follower (it was called that in the interview and not a filter) because of Flea talking about it.  It never said which one and in the signal diagram used it just says Boss Envelope Follower and I always wanted to know what that was.  Does anyone have a clue?  Anyway I bought my first pedal in 94.  Looked at all the Boss pedals but none said Envelope Follower and I had seen two or three players in BP articles using OC2 so I just got that.  I had no idea what to do with it so I barely plucked it in.  Those were the days before the internet where you had no one to ask questions and you just had to guess lol