Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters

Thump

7 minutes ago, charlietuna said:

And if you want to play with frequencies, it seems the Intensity and Hi/Lo knob work in conjunction with one another. Meaning as you go from Lo to Hi the Intensity knob Maxed on a lower frequency click equals the Intensity at Minimum on the next higher click. This comes in handy when trying to dial in an optimal Static filter frequency and helped me realize a continuous frequency range rather than 4 separate ones. I didn’t graph this out but that’s what my ear hears. 

And compared to some other filters, my Meatball clone can take a lot stronger incoming signal. Don’t be afraid to feed it more volume, you may get more range out of the Sensitivity knob. I rarely have mine maxed. 

Interesting, thanks. Yes my bass signal is quite hot actually but this particular sound is great with super high sensitivity because you get a lively bubbly sound with the resonance right up. Here is my normal setting which matches the mutron:

IMG_9224.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlietuna said:

If you use static mode and can dial down far enough then a high pass filter can be used to take out the mud. They have dedicated pedals for that so I’m not suggesting to use a Mutron 3 for that BUT it may be able to serve a secondary use in that function. Adding resonance at the cutoff point gets you into part of cab sim territory. I figured this out with the Meatball clone I have. I could use that thing on ANY board even if an envelope filter sound wasn’t required. 

Is that next on my build list?! :D or a 00funk 

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I have a 00Funk clone as well and like it a lot. It gets a little juicier than the Meatball and can get wackier. It is also capable of a slower sweep that sounds really good. The PastFX 101, 00Funk and Meatball are the three filters I’m keeping in my arsenal; they seem to cover a lot of ground. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ped said:

Interesting, thanks. Yes my bass signal is quite hot actually but this particular sound is great with super high sensitivity because you get a lively bubbly sound with the resonance right up. Here is my normal setting which matches the mutron:

IMG_9224.jpeg

Whoa! You need to put those fuzzes in FRONT of the Meatball! Those Valcos look cool. Do any of them do gated fuzz? That’s when things get really fun. 

4 minutes ago, charlietuna said:

Whoa! You need to put those fuzzes in FRONT of the Meatball! Those Valcos look cool. Do any of them do gated fuzz? That’s when things get really fun. 

I don’t really use fuzz with the filter. Sometimes octave but mostly on its own. Yeah the grey one does gated, good fun but again not a sound I use. For more synthy sounds I use the Bassballs, palm muted and low sensitivity it sounds amazing for that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, charlietuna said:

I have a 00Funk clone as well and like it a lot. It gets a little juicier than the Meatball and can get wackier. It is also capable of a slower sweep that sounds really good. The PastFX 101, 00Funk and Meatball are the three filters I’m keeping in my arsenal; they seem to cover a lot of ground. 

Sounds lovely. The mutron build was mainly as I’ve got a C4 and that can do everything fine… but then an analogue octaver blew it out the water, would a analoge filter? 

I was so tempted by the pf101 but at 4x the price I figured I could test it on a diy build

Edited by LukeFRC

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Sounds lovely. The mutron build was mainly as I’ve got a C4 and that can do everything fine… but then an analogue octaver blew it out the water, would a analoge filter? 

I was so tempted by the pf101 but at 4x the price I figured I could test it on a diy build

While the C4 filters are great, they don’t quite capture the resonance of an analogue filter (Artifakt does though). They also cap at 6kHz (Artifakt is full range).

On 17/08/2024 at 15:27, LukeFRC said:

I'd be interested in a 00 funk! I bought one once, I was so pleased and the dann thing was knackered out the box, I was gutted and I've not seen one since 😭

• Like 1

On 17/08/2024 at 20:22, Quatschmacher said:

While the C4 filters are great, they don’t quite capture the resonance of an analogue filter (Artifakt does though). They also cap at 6kHz (Artifakt is full range).

I cannot get any filter on the C4 to sound good for me, that's why I ended up buying a spacial Delivery which is fantastic, EBS IQ still my fave though (2nd gen, not the first or the latest)

3 hours ago, lee650 said:

I cannot get any filter on the C4 to sound good for me, that's why I ended up buying a spacial Delivery which is fantastic, EBS IQ still my fave though (2nd gen, not the first or the latest)

This one? 

• Like 1

Having had most of the main protagonists over the years I'm very happy to have recently acquired an Aguilar Filter Twin off of this forum. Had one a few years ago and should never have sold it but something shiny must have caught my eye.

19 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

This one? 

That's the puppy! Easy to dial in and very resonant. The 1st version (sans true bypass) doesn't trigger well, and has a tiny volume jump, the latest blue label model just doesn't sound the same, and resonance on full still doesn't give the HI Q sound, although the filter modes are handy.

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1