Why become a member? ×

What Sire did next

neepheid

Just now, BassApprentice said:

I do understand that from a consumer point of view - but from the business POV, the more 100% paid up pre-orders for the next batch they can encourage, the better for them.

I know, capitalism be... capitalising?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

They said in the video that what they had in the room was all of the stock they had so far. The 22nd is probably correct still for the rest of the shipment. 

I wasn't blown away by the sound of them personally. Don't know if it's just the way that the Anderton's team recorded them though. 

But have you ever been blown away by the sound of a bass on a YouTube clip?  

I have been experiencing quite a bit of Stingray GAS and this offers me a way in which is affordable and hopefully under 9ib in weight.  As @neepheid pointed out, the pre amp coupled with the humbucker is impressive.  I'm looking for the Stingray sound but also other tones that I, as a covers/function band player might find useful.  From what I saw/heard on the video, I reckon these might offer that.

• Like 1

Just now, BillyBass said:

But have you ever been blown away by the sound of a bass on a YouTube clip?  

I have been experiencing quite a bit of Stingray GAS and this offers me a way in which is affordable and hopefully under 9ib in weight.  As @neepheid pointed out, the pre amp coupled with the humbucker is impressive.  I'm looking for the Stingray sound but also other tones that I, as a covers/function band player might find useful.  From what I saw/heard on the video, I reckon these might offer that.

I've been GAS-ing for a Laney Digbeth head at the moment and yes, I've been pretty impressed from the YouTube videos, which is why I wondered if their recording/processing may be at fault. 

A stingray ought to do well in a function band. I used my SBMM SUB Ray 5 with a swapped out preamp (Retrovibe Stinger) in a hip hop covers band and a function band. Fitted in perfectly. I hope the Z series lives up to your GAS! 😀

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering a Z7-5.

I like the MM/J configuration, the semiparametric mids and a passive tone control. The Z3-5 looks like it has a narrow string spacing at the bridge (likely 16mm by the look of it), while the Z7-5 looks wider, much like a Stingray, so 17.5mm or maybe even 18mm, which rules out the Z3-5 for me anyway.

Natural, or Burgundy Mist? Hmmm...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, looks like the video did its job - stock ETA has slipped to 30th August for preorders now...

I don't want to pre order one, I'm going to drive down to Andertons on the weekend after they arrive and try them out, check the colours etc.  I'm away that weekend though!  Bugger.  I'll have to wait another week.

Natural 4 string Z7 I think, maybe mint...

On 08/08/2024 at 15:44, Velarian said:

This just dropped on Anderton's YouTube channel.

They sound excellent and that black fretless looks gorgeous.

I used to love the Anderton videos back when it was Lee and Nathan King; there was genuine chemistry and banter from a pair of exceptional players and I really miss that.  Now it's all a bit meh.

By observation, CiCi (well, if You Tube videos are anything to go by), appears to have decentish chops, but there's really very little evidence of this in any of the current bass-centric Anderton output.  

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I used to love the Anderton videos back when it was Lee and Nathan King; there was genuine chemistry and banter from a pair of exceptional players and I really miss that.  Now it's all a bit meh.

By observation, CiCi (well, if You Tube videos are anything to go by), appears to have decentish chops, but there's really very little evidence of this in any of the current bass-centric Anderton output.  

Go easy man, she's new, probably finding her feet in these videos.  I'd be the same - let the established guy take the lion's share of things and gradually ease my way into the conversation.

• Like 2

The last thing I want to see in a demo video is chops or fancy soloing, just demonstrating the range of tones available is fine. I want to know how good the bass is, not the person playing it. Although Andertons videos are just adverts so I guess they can do what they want really.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The last thing I want to see in a demo video is chops or fancy soloing, just demonstrating the range of tones available is fine. I want to know how good the bass is, not the person playing it. Although Andertons videos are just adverts so I guess they can do what they want really.

Agree. Sometimes I quite like the silliness, but I'm really hoping we get some bass stuff on Andertons 2 before long.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I think Lee Voss does this in spades - he's incredibly fluid in what he does.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think Lee Voss does this in spades - he's incredibly fluid in what he does.

I agree... I always find his playing genuinely inspiring and always tasteful. Admittedly though I much preferred Nathan to Cici.

14 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I agree... I always find his playing genuinely inspiring and always tasteful. Admittedly though I much preferred Nathan to Cici.

I must admit Lee really annoys me. He can really play but  i do not want someone who over talks and he is so jolly. No one is that jolly all the time. Nathan is calmer and more measured.

• Like 1

Can't remember which one but I'm sure I watched an Andertons bass video where they hadn't even bothered to learn what the preamp controls do and were sat there guessing on camera. Just seemed really weird!

There's much better resources out there if you want to get a brief understanding of a product and aren't able to try it out in person, realistically expecting reliable information from a source which is also trying to sell you the thing isn't a great idea anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Can't remember which one but I'm sure I watched an Andertons bass video where they hadn't even bothered to learn what the preamp controls do and were sat there guessing on camera. Just seemed really weird!

There's much better resources out there if you want to get a brief understanding of a product and aren't able to try it out in person, realistically expecting reliable information from a source which is also trying to sell you the thing isn't a great idea anyway.

I dunno, I don't mind it so much - it's natural when you first get a bass to FAAFO when it comes to the controls, so it comes across as reassuringly human to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I dunno, I don't mind it so much - it's natural when you first get a bass to FAAFO when it comes to the controls, so it comes across as reassuringly human to me.

Can't be that hard to read the manual or website before the camera starts recording though, most other reviewers manage it and even an idiot like me can get a vague idea if a preamp will work for me based on the spec sheet. Like I said they're adverts first and foremost and will be focusing on telling you how great the product is, even from that perspective it seems like a missed opportunity as some of the things they don't mention or demonstrate might be a selling point for a lot of people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Can't be that hard to read the manual or website before the camera starts recording though, most other reviewers manage it and even an idiot like me can get a vague idea if a preamp will work for me based on the spec sheet. Like I said they're adverts first and foremost and will be focusing on telling you how great the product is, even from that perspective it seems like a missed opportunity as some of the things they don't mention or demonstrate might be a selling point for a lot of people.

Now the missing stuff does annoy me - if you're going to take the FAAFO approach, at least F around with everything.  I see in the Sire Z video they had to pin a comment saying that both basses were switchable active/passive.  Come on guys - that's a seriously interesting angle and a thing that SBMM basses don't have (correct me if I'm wrong)

• Like 2

Not reading manuals is fine, it takes no time at all to work what does what, if you are a bass player.  One of them should have remembered to check the active/passive thing though.

I'm guessing they were rushing the video out to be the first.  

On 16/08/2024 at 17:35, BillyBass said:

Not reading manuals is fine, it takes no time at all to work what does what, if you are a bass player.  One of them should have remembered to check the active/passive thing though.

I'm guessing they were rushing the video out to be the first.  

Making a decent YouTube video is hard work and takes a lot of prep and writing a script (yes the most popular changes have script writers) and editing and shooting b roll etc. I like the Andertons videos as they look good but as they are done kinda off the cuff you get more of a natural reaction. YouTube isn’t there business, it’s just an add on. 
So they might miss details a bit but so what? They added it on the end anyway. 

I like Lee ane Cici, both great players with a lot of experience who get excited about playing and trying new stuff and most importantly (to me) have a variety of styles they can play which will appeal to a lot of people. 
As soon as I see a bass video and it’s all just noodling at the top end of a fretboard or ridiculous non musical slap I just turn it off. 

I really want a MM but as others have said they are crazy expensive, even the sterling stuff. These look good, are good quality and sound great, the x7 is the one I’m gonna go for, just looks perfect to me in the white colour. 

• Like 2

On 16/08/2024 at 09:45, Chienmortbb said:

I must admit Lee really annoys me. He can really play but  i do not want someone who over talks and he is so jolly. No one is that jolly all the time. Nathan is calmer and more measured.

Whereas I like someone who gets excited about things, we don’t need another dull bass player on YouTube thanks very much. 😂

• Like 2