Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Or a new** rat skin loincloth 

** freshly clubbed to death 

I gave up the Stig alter-ego a while back. Turns out the client CEO prefers consultants to present to the board wearing the more conventional jacket and trousers rather than a loincloth. I would have played the diversity card, but I don't have one.

Edited by Richard R
typo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Presumably the lack of pockets in said loincloth.

He could clench, though the card might get a little soggy over time 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm feeling the urge to upgrade the tuners on my 2002 Squier Jazz. 😧

That's nice.  Unless the tuners being replaced broken, you'd be out.  Can't it wait until next year?  That's kinda the point of this whole exercise.  They work for now?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

That's nice.  Unless the tuners being replaced broken, you'd be out.  Can't it wait until next year?  That's kinda the point of this whole exercise.  They work for now?

I know, but I have an itch...

…alternatively.

Last year I had numerous itches.  Various strategies were employed:

Feed the itch by looking on the marketplace and note that stuff you want keeps coming up.

Go onto the builder sites and build different basses.  You could get a SSO and put different tuners on it. (This is another feed the itch strategy).

Take it a month at a time.

i never got as far as saying the addicts prayer, but I guess that could work too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm feeling the urge to upgrade the tuners on my 2002 Squier Jazz. 😧

A lad I knew at uni had a broken tuner on his Squier jazz and replaced it with a 50p coin! That’s technically not buying gear, as the coin is a credit 😜

On 18/06/2024 at 14:16, Stub Mandrel said:

Is there a pass for spending the money one has saved on not going to see the 'Eras Tour' on gear?

No

However if you do buy tickets for the tour then they don't count. Unless you are also using her PA in which case it's in the signal chain so it's a Tier 2 fail.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Oh, oh! I feel a tier 2 failure in the offing…

IMG_0860.jpeg.27bab159c416abf58b692ce0995de767.jpeg

A tier 2 fail.   With the GE on Thursday that could well be viewed as a Tactical fail. 😀

51 minutes ago, Simon C said:

A tier 2 fail.   With the GE on Thursday that could well be viewed as a Tactical fail. 😀

I’m away at the moment and there’s every chance that this will be sold by the time I can get to Dundee to snag it, so I might still be in.

Time for the June roundup...

What a well behaved bunch you have been - only two folk dropped out last month, leaving 24 still on the righteous path of abstinence.

Now that this has bumped the thread to the top, let's get the start of month confessionals out of the way...

As for me, well, I know it doesn't work that way and I'm out because pedals and wirelessness but I'm currently -1 basses for the year - sold 2, bought 1.  There's some sort of moral, "well, that's better than being a Nazi" thing going on there...

• Haha 1

I haven't bought a bass this year.
I have far too many and a couple of years playing left at most.

I have got the hots for a couple of things but then I just think 'oh why bother, I have enough good basses anyway?'
There's nothing like going out with a newly acquired bass, but I do like what I use anyway.

• Like 2

I’m still in. As of last month it’s been two years since I last bought anything. I should really sell some stuff as I’ve got far more than I need. 

• Like 1

I have two basses for sale in my mate's shop and usually that would be the justification (ok, excuse) for looking around for something new/different. But so far nothing is calling. At best, I see something, think 'that would be nice to have and play' and then move on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I thought I’d be a slam dunk for bass abstinence this year. But there’s a slim chance that at the end of the year I might have some funding for something nice…..

Hang on till New Year's Eve, then you've got a clear run at 2025 and you'll have done 99.7% of 2024.

• Like 1

Got contacted today and offered first dibs on a 1971 EB0, the first of the 'slot head years'.

Offers approaching £2k which seems usual for UK but high for the USA.

Wisely, I declined as beyond my bass budget for 2024 (£0.00).

Question- am I allowed to buy a ticket for a bass bash raffle? After all it's for charidee. Don't say 'as long as you don't win anything' as 90% of bashers win....