Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Got contacted today and offered first dibs on a 1971 EB0, the first of the 'slot head years'.

Offers approaching £2k which seems usual for UK but high for the USA.

Wisely, I declined as beyond my bass budget for 2024 (£0.00).

Question- am I allowed to buy a ticket for a bass bash raffle? After all it's for charidee. Don't say 'as long as you don't win anything' as 90% of bashers win....

As long as you pay tax on your stake then it's probably OK.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Got contacted today and offered first dibs on a 1971 EB0, the first of the 'slot head years'.

Offers approaching £2k which seems usual for UK but high for the USA.

Wisely, I declined as beyond my bass budget for 2024 (£0.00).

Question- am I allowed to buy a ticket for a bass bash raffle? After all it's for charidee. Don't say 'as long as you don't win anything' as 90% of bashers win....

I don't think a bit of paper is gear, s'all good.  If that piece of paper magically becomes gear, oh well, it was for a good cause.  I reckon this is reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never counted BB raffle tickets as gear.

What with a lot of business travel, staying away, and needing to be on tech rather than in the band at church I have played once this year and may only manage twice more. This means the gear I have isn't getting used, I don't get to practice at home, and I can't justify more stuff.

Unless a 35" 5 string travel bass for well under £200 exists....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, neepheid said:

I don't think a bit of paper is gear, s'all good.  If that piece of paper magically becomes gear, oh well, it was for a good cause.  I reckon this is reasonable.

I think it will come under the same ruling as unexpected gifting, even though the suspect fancies their chances are high.

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I think it will come under the same ruling as unexpected gifting, even though the suspect fancies his chances are high.

his/her chances. Unlike the Carrick, women have always been welcome at BassChat. 😊

Edited by Richard R
should be Garrick, as @Tauzero has subsequently pointed out.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Agree entirely. Very nice indeed. Sorry if I've missed earlier posts, but what year is this one then?

'71. It's a bloody beaut. Alignment of several stars 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I did 6-months but.......

image.png.f2250460c71795af4b5ddfd0caa3c1c6.png

I thought you were done with electrics? Looks like a great reason to rejoin the fold.

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

his/her chances. Unlike the Carrick, women have always been welcome at BassChat. 😊

thank you for correcting me

8 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I thought you were done with electrics? Looks like a great reason to rejoin the fold.

I've always seen music as much about the social as the artistic, so when a few local guys who I both really like and who can really play got some momentum around a series of projects, I felt very happy to be picking up an electric again (in fact two, more to come.....) 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Given that I was out a few weeks with the pedalboard power supply thing, I decided to go all the way and have just put a deposit down on a new ACG. So that’s me out for 2025 as well 😀🤓

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Merton said:

Given that I was out a few weeks with the pedalboard power supply thing, I decided to go all the way and have just put a deposit down on a new ACG. So that’s me out for 2025 as well 😀🤓

Not so!  You can finalise a transaction begun the previous year.  It's when the deposit goes down that counts.

"If you have put down a deposit on something before committing to this, which then requires a final payment within <year of abstinence thread>, that single payment permitted."

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another month and I’m still here! My 2nd tier Gretsch GAS was abated by reasoning that I really barely play my 6 stringers anyway and it would be just frivolous (still not out of the question mind). However, I’m inching closer to pulling the trigger on a Cali76, so might not make it until September, but this is surely the longest I’ve gone without new gear for absolutely ages.

• Like 2

23 is very good - Kudos.  I think we were down to “fingers on one hand of a bloke who’d had an accident with an angle grinder” at this stage last year.

Edited by Simon C
  • Haha 2