Why become a member? ×

Well, who saw a Stylophone Theremin coming?

Paid last night, finally, after getting the '504: page crashed' message over and over. Really looking forward to adding this to some recordings when it finally arrives. This will be the first Dubreq instrument I've ever owned. Unlike seemingly every other kid of my age, I never got a Rolf-endorsed Stylopedophone at Christmas in the 1970's.

The inspiration for getting one was Via Mardot. I am not - and never will be - in her league, but I do love her compositions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ped said:

I ordered one but after the payment page I got a session expired error. The money has left my account but there’s no confirmation email. Hm. 

I didn't get the error, I got 'thank you for your order' or some such after the payment page but I haven't had a confirmation email yet either.

Money has left my account too.

Hopefully it's just an administrative IT oversight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

I ordered one but after the payment page I got a session expired error. The money has left my account but there’s no confirmation email. Hm. 

Odd - I would imagine that several people are in that boat too, so they will be able to sort it out easily enough.

I got a "Thankyou for your order" email, order #16354 (I am sure I refreshed more times than that), which says it will be 8 weeks, which is what they said in the original email, although they also said that they were sitting in factories around the world ready to go, which seems a contridiction as aliexpress seem to be able to ship something to me from china in a week for £1.20.

Edit - I also got an email just before that thanking me for setting up a stylophone account, which now I check has 1 order for a theremin saying 'processing' so probably good. I will expect it to turn up in the second week of october

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Odd - I would imagine that several people are in that boat too, so they will be able to sort it out easily enough.

I got a "Thankyou for your order" email, order #16354 (I am sure I refreshed more times than that), which says it will be 8 weeks, which is what they said in the original email, although they also said that they were sitting in factories around the world ready to go, which seems a contridiction as aliexpress seem to be able to ship something to me from china in a week for £1.20.

Edit - I also got an email just before that thanking me for setting up a stylophone account, which now I check has 1 order for a theremin saying 'processing' so probably good. I will expect it to turn up in the second week of october

I've emailed them but don't expect a reply for a while, no doubt that 8 week window is partly for them to work out who's actually bought one!

I didn't see this when it was posted in January.  There is something about that trigger button in the demo video that sets my warranty repair alerts pinging - it doesn't fill me with confidence that it will last very long, especially the way she was (and I assume most users will be) hammering it.....

Many years ago, when my sister still lived in New York, she and her husband invited @Silvia Bluejay and me to go out for a gig. I asked to go to Joe's Pub to see Bill Kirchen, and when I noticed that the earlier act (they do two 'houses' each night) was The Theremin Society Of New York I said we just had to see that too.

In truth, I completely misinterpreted the listing, thinking this would be like a theremin orchestra. It wasn't.

It really was the Society, a bunch of club members who all played theremins in the security of their own homes, and once a year they took over a prestigious music venue oon Manhattan to showcase what they'd been up to since last year.

I'll say this for that evening ... it was memorable. Not in a good way, but By God! was it memorable.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Many years ago, when my sister still lived in New York, she and her husband invited @Silvia Bluejay and me to go out for a gig. I asked to go to Joe's Pub to see Bill Kirchen, and when I noticed that the earlier act (they do two 'houses' each night) was The Theremin Society Of New York I said we just had to see that too.

In truth, I completely misinterpreted the listing, thinking this would be like a theremin orchestra. It wasn't.

It really was the Society, a bunch of club members who all played theremins in the security of their own homes, and once a year they took over a prestigious music venue oon Manhattan to showcase what they'd been up to since last year.

I'll say this for that evening ... it was memorable. Not in a good way, but By God! was it memorable.

However they have released the Theremin 100 album which has got people who can really play including Bruce Wooley's Radio Science Orchestra and Charlie Draper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cato said:

I didn't get the error, I got 'thank you for your order' or some such after the payment page but I haven't had a confirmation email yet either.

Money has left my account too.

Hopefully it's just an administrative IT oversight.

Stylophone IT - from the people that brought you Horizon.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Need? What is this word, what does it mean in this context - need one?

Yesterday evening it would have been a cool impulse buy.

This morning when I was finally able to get past the product page, I realised that I wasn't that bothered about having one. I'll put the £100 I've saved toward my next Mac which will actually be useful. 

Got my confirmation email this afternoon as well. 

I'll believe it actually exists when the theremin is in my studio and I'm actually making freaky noises with it. Then I'll put batteries in it and make it go "wheee-ooo-waouh-eee-ooh" etc...

• Haha 1

I got the ‘congratulations for buying one’ email but no actual order receipt. But at least they have no order I suppose. I’ll message them in a few weeks if I don’t hear back. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Can I put my name forwards to buy a second hand one, once one of you gets bored of it? 😁

Yes, you can have mine when the band kick me out!

I got my order email finally

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Maude said:

Can I put my name forwards to buy a second hand one, once one of you gets bored of it? 😁

Have a good think. Would you really want to buy from the type of person who can get bored of "wheee-ooo-waouh-eee-ooh"?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Have a good think. Would you really want to buy from the type of person who can get bored of "wheee-ooo-waouh-eee-ooh"?

I really think with this and my Orba 2 I will have the ultimate portable synth setup for pissing off colleagues and family. I take the Orba to work quite a bit and last time I forgot my headphones. After 5 mins of people being genuinely fascinated with it they started getting annoyed 😂

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, ped said:

After 5 mins of people being genuinely fascinated with it they started getting annoyed 😂

... the science derived from these observations then being that your Orba is just like my Kaossilator.

Totally unrelated in other aspects, but during train travels I've had far greater success with my Lights Out game - people nearly not wanting to hand it back.
Er ...
IOW I don't have problems until I start making sounds. 😄

Edited by BassTractor