Why become a member? ×

Well, who saw a Stylophone Theremin coming?

On 09/08/2024 at 13:34, Happy Jack said:

Many years ago, when my sister still lived in New York, she and her husband invited @Silvia Bluejay and me to go out for a gig. I asked to go to Joe's Pub to see Bill Kirchen, and when I noticed that the earlier act (they do two 'houses' each night) was The Theremin Society Of New York I said we just had to see that too.

In truth, I completely misinterpreted the listing, thinking this would be like a theremin orchestra. It wasn't.

It really was the Society, a bunch of club members who all played theremins in the security of their own homes, and once a year they took over a prestigious music venue oon Manhattan to showcase what they'd been up to since last year.

I'll say this for that evening ... it was memorable. Not in a good way, but By God! was it memorable.

Reminds me of some of the overly serious theremin enthusiast crowd that I've run into online when researching instruments. Did they disdain any pop music and sci-fi soundtrack use of the theremin, and use it to play classical and operatic excerpts, badly?

I suspect they wouldn't like the Stylophone theremin as it has only a single antenna and the "real" instrument has one for volume too.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I suspect they wouldn't like the Stylophone theremin as it has only a single antenna and the "real" instrument has one for volume too.

To be fair, having owned a two antenna theremin, to get anything other than spooky/sci-fi noises out of it you really need the volume one. 

• Like 1

On 15/08/2024 at 18:44, meterman said:

Got my confirmation email this afternoon as well. 

I'll believe it actually exists when the theremin is in my studio and I'm actually making freaky noises with it. Then I'll put batteries in it and make it go "wheee-ooo-waouh-eee-ooh" etc...

Thought that was the Bangles..??

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...