Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

Yes, I agree @Paul S - my Dano could do with a forearm contour, but it's not a really sharp edge, at least. 

Glad you're enjoying your new Dano. As you say, they really do seem to cut through the mix. Perhaps a different sound to my P bass, or my P/J Mustang - but the Dano sits nicely in the mix, and the tone is lovely.

I'm gigging mine tonight, for the first time since fitting the LaBella flats - so I'll see if the tone is as good as it is with the round wound strings.

• Like 2

The flats need a little playing time to settle down , but they sit nicely in a mix. 

If you like an old school thump they are the ticket.

• Like 1

Should anyone be tempted to try one of these beauties out, GAK in Brighton

currently have 3 s/h Longhorns in stock. All Korean reissues, they are in

copperburst, black or yellow (gold), and all priced at £419 each on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 31/05/2024 at 15:56, casapete said:

Should anyone be tempted to try one of these beauties out, GAK in Brighton

currently have 3 s/h Longhorns in stock. All Korean reissues, they are in

copperburst, black or yellow (gold), and all priced at £419 each on eBay.

They might be the ones that belonged to the chap earlier in this thread who was selling 4 of them at once. I'd love to try a Longhorn but I'm 6'3" and can't help but think it'd look a bit silly on me. 

I'm fortunate to already own 2 late 90's Danos. A "Commie Red" DC59 and a Hodad in blue sparkle. Both have flats and sound superb. 

IMG_20220320_141332_689.thumb.jpg.075e58558e830fd07f1f11038a226495.jpg

IMG_20220320_141332_735.thumb.jpg.d6aa1d301cc96ce8e17d9e535a86e251.jpg

Edited by umcoo
  • Like 4

On 30/05/2024 at 07:30, Paul S said:

I finally played this with the band - had a rehearsal yesterday with a gig booked this coming weekend.  Out of sheer laziness I kept the settings on my drive/eq pedal (Trace Elliot Transit B > pa) the same as for my Gibson SG.  What a tone!  Both pickups on full, tone up on both.  It sounded really punchy - loads of bite and grit but not distorted.  Sat in the mix differently to the SG, if anything it had more presence which really surprised me.  Last time I had a longhorn (ooh matron etc :D) I had a different philosophy/approach to my sound/eq settings and the difference is huge.  I do believe the SG will be on the bench for a while and the Dano will be first choice.  The only negative I see at the moment is the lack of a forearm contour but I am sure I can live with that.

I've used banjo armrests for instruments with little or no contour on the top. A chrome one looks pretty cool on a Dano. 

image.png.19a985c43169990536a973c9febd3745.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Very fond of mine.
I should gig it more often than I do.

445215195_8216989421648692_4454608044981

@12stringbassist - I see you have a few instruments around you. Must be spoilt for choice.
I take my Dano to every gig now. Had a really long double-set gig last Saturday... and they kept wanting more. 
The result was, that we ended up doing over 2 and a half hours (second set well over 90 mins). Boy was I glad I chose my Dano... for the sake of my left shoulder.

As an aside. I fitted the LaBella Low Tension flats a few weeks back, and I really like them. They feel great on the fingers of the right hand.
However, I have a feeling I preferred the sound of the rounds this bass came fitted with. So after the gig, I put the rounds back on, and I have to say, this is the one bass I think I prefer it that way.
I will reserve my final judgement until I have gigged with the rounds again though - but I honestly think there's a bit more "bite" to the sound

If you see long horn selling at any internet shop, you can't say no, you must buy it. No matter what condition, road worn or very good, no matter what color - you must buy it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, msb said:

It takes a little time for flats to really break in.  

Yes, I realise that @msb

I use flats on my other basses. The flats I had on the Dano were in fact used - so they should be at least partly 'broken in". Having gigged it a few times (plus several loud rehearsals) I just felt it sounded better with the rounds - so I'm just going to gig it a couple of times with the rounds again.... just to be sure.

Of course, I have already considered getting another Dano - so I can have both string types! Lol 😀 😆

EDIT: I definitely preferred the feel of flats on the bass - but also think it's good to keep playing both flats and rounds. 

Edited by Marc S

My Longhorn has the original factory strings , it’s from the early Korean run when they were introduced. So since sometime around 98. The Shinkos do not have serial numbers anywhere. 
The strings are dead. 
But do have a wonderful woody old school thump. I remember how zingy they were when I was first playing it , but that’s long gone. I have a LaBella Dano set ready in case I lose a string. Until then , the factory rounds are staying on.
I have two other short scale Dano basses , a Chinese 56 Dolphin Nose , and a recent Korean short scale DC. They both have LaBella Deep Talking flats. 
The Longhorn is still my favourite.

• Like 1

They’re up to $949 Cdn at L&M today , when they first were reissued in 98  they were $399.

I just advise people to pick one up if you see it for a good price. If you don’t like it you can easily sell for what you paid. But most I know that have picked them up hang on to them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clarky said:

BassDirect has a '90s Korean one in stock for £299. Sounds like a bargain

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/danelectro-dl58bk-58-longhorn-short-scale-bass-black-pre-owned/

Does indeed sound like a bargain.

It's a good job I'm not closer to Bass Direct - or I'd be tempted to pop in, and get it - so I could have one with rounds and one with flats.

At £299, I think someone should buy this. You won't look back 😀

• 1 month later...

Just picked this up secondhand for £350. 

So excited about it I didn't even wait to get home before I took the photos. Not sure about it's age or origin but it's a whole lot of fun and I've been itching for one for ages.    Looking forward to rehearsal on Wednesday to see how it sits with the band.

PXL_20240901_154246586.jpg

PXL_20240901_154305010.jpg

• Like 8

That looks like the first batch of reissues from the late 90’s. Made in the Shinko factory in Korea.

Some feel those are the best.

Commie Red! Congratulations.

• Like 3

Yes, from what little I know about these beauties, the non-pointy volume controls seem to be on those early Korean models.

I must admit, I really like that red colour. I think it's my fave colour for a Dano. I must also admit that I occasionally take a sneaky peek at those new red ones, with the f-holes. They do look rather lovely 😀

Back in December, my first play on a Dano, was a red one which was apparently a Korean made one. It belonged to the guy playing bass for Merry Hell. That was the fateful day that convinced me I needed one of these great basses. 

The Merry Hell bass player (I forgot his name!) Had a great sound, and it sat well in the mix, which was quite something, with lots of instruments, and lots of vocals on stage.

PS. Having swapped back to the original rounds the bass came with... I'm now wanting to put those flats back on it! Doh 😉

• Like 1