Why become a member? ×

Your modified bass !!!

nilorius

This is my Fender Crafted in Japan JB75-US. The pic is from 2009 so this isn't even its final form (:thank_you:)

I changed:

• the electronics to an Audere JZ3T preamp with 3-way impedance switching, but hated it, for several reasons (1). I had a battery box routed into the back of the body for this;
  • the electronics back to passive VVT, but with the addition of a De Gier / Vanderkley FatBoost,. It's a subtle active bass boost of up to 6 dB, accessed via a rotary switch where the jack used to be, with a regular Jazz Bass knob to camouflage it. It has an internal trim pot for setting the gain level. Works great, subtle but effective. The electronics cavity needed to be routed slightly to make room for it;
  • the stock bridge to a Leo Quan BadAss II;
  • the stock tuners to Hipshot HB2's and an Xtender;
  • the strap buttons to Schaller security locks;
  • added a pickup cover.

The previous owner had already changed the white pickguard to a black one, which I like a helluva lot better, and had holes drilled for both covers but I never mounted a bridge cover because it gets in the way of my playing and I don't like the look. 

It's a heavy beast with a fairly deep neck profile, and oddly for a '75 RI has the bridge pickup in the regular 60s position (like most CIJ JB75's in fact, but there are exceptions). But it plays and sounds great and I love it. 

FenderJB75US.jpg.78fb32f7838441efb13e9cc26b00e1d0.jpg

(1) I was always struggling to find a "neutral" tone that matched the passive sound of the bass. It just wasn't there. And the most important USP of the Audere, its impedance switch, was a totally useless feature for me because I hated the high-Z and low-Z settings and only used the normal position. Besides that, the Audere was prewired righthanded, so the pots turned in a direction that was very unnatural to me. They were PCB-mounted, so I couldn't change that. I hated it so much that I stopped playing this bass alltogether, which is a shame because it's so good! So I had it changed back to passive and it reignited my live for this bass. 

All my basses are heavily modded, put together by parts or built from scratch.

I do have two very old ibanezes that are stock that i am selling. Everything else though is heavily modded.

Here's a few.

Built from scratch with a buddy

20230118_182709.thumb.jpg.74b5b778812b55999b0ed043c1a3c0d8.jpg

Refinished in nitro, new pickuos, new bridge

20221022_121731.thumb.jpg.fea3b11c361bbc024b3a37801aa21908.jpg

built both from parts. Ledt is warmoth nody with 2tek bridge and moses graphite neck with Batolinis, right is mostly fender parts, schaller tuners, lollar pickups 

20240313_215154.thumb.jpg.9e47dc240b832d39a79dd9b06bd9e75f.jpg

Built entirely from scratch. Friend built the neck

20230412_140041.thumb.jpg.ca33d1bc9d61a56bb3868568d6b267f9.jpg

Defretted, put in bartolinis and a bart harness

20221028_115035.thumb.jpg.30ba033643fec9942f218ffbb5a60877.jpg

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I do have two very old ibanezes that are stock that i am selling. Everything else though is heavily modded.

Here's a few.

That's lovely!

• Like 1

GMR - custom preamp fitted by Dex Audio, it’s bartolini module that’s been ‘breathed on’? It works more like a two band filter over a very useable range, it’s hard to describe but nice. A little goes a long way, even though the range is limited. It’s hard to describe. 
Fender - so many mods since 1994 ish I don’t know where to start. It had a status neck at one point. 
ibanez sr1200. Just the ramp. 
SR500 stripped, burnt finish and bartolini preamp. Done by me. 

IMG_1068.jpeg

DED12211-F601-4AE8-857E-70CD0F5DA4FC.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

IMG_8803.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

This is my Fender Crafted in Japan JB75-US. The pic is from 2009 so this isn't even its final form (:thank_you:)

I changed:

• the electronics to an Audere JZ3T preamp with 3-way impedance switching, but hated it, for several reasons (1). I had a battery box routed into the back of the body for this;
  • the electronics back to passive VVT, but with the addition of a De Gier / Vanderkley FatBoost,. It's a subtle active bass boost of up to 6 dB, accessed via a rotary switch where the jack used to be, with a regular Jazz Bass knob to camouflage it. It has an internal trim pot for setting the gain level. Works great, subtle but effective. The electronics cavity needed to be routed slightly to make room for it;
  • the stock bridge to a Leo Quan BadAss II;
  • the stock tuners to Hipshot HB2's and an Xtender;
  • the strap buttons to Schaller security locks;
  • added a pickup cover.

The previous owner had already changed the white pickguard to a black one, which I like a helluva lot better, and had holes drilled for both covers but I never mounted a bridge cover because it gets in the way of my playing and I don't like the look. 

It's a heavy beast with a fairly deep neck profile, and oddly for a '75 RI has the bridge pickup in the regular 60s position (like most CIJ JB75's in fact, but there are exceptions). But it plays and sounds great and I love it. 

FenderJB75US.jpg.78fb32f7838441efb13e9cc26b00e1d0.jpg

(1) I was always struggling to find a "neutral" tone that matched the passive sound of the bass. It just wasn't there. And the most important USP of the Audere, its impedance switch, was a totally useless feature for me because I hated the high-Z and low-Z settings and only used the normal position. Besides that, the Audere was prewired righthanded, so the pots turned in a direction that was very unnatural to me. They were PCB-mounted, so I couldn't change that. I hated it so much that I stopped playing this bass alltogether, which is a shame because it's so good! So I had it changed back to passive and it reignited my live for this bass. 

That's one nice bass!  Mid 70s Fenders and their CIJ descendants are my favourite sounding of all the periods they were made.  But I've never owned one because they are so heavy!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

GMR - custom preamp fitted by Dex Audio, it’s bartolini module that’s been ‘breathed on’? It works more like a two band filter over a very useable range, it’s hard to describe but nice. A little goes a long way, even though the range is limited. It’s hard to describe. 
Fender - so many mods since 1994 ish I don’t know where to start. It had a status neck at one point. 
ibanez sr1200. Just the ramp. 
SR500 stripped, burnt finish and bartolini preamp. Done by me. 

IMG_1068.jpeg

I could drool at that GMR all day :$

Almost needs a NSFW tag, it's that beautiful! 

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2024 at 16:10, lidl e said:

Here's a few.

Refinished in nitro, new pickuos, new bridge

20221022_121731.thumb.jpg.fea3b11c361bbc024b3a37801aa21908.jpg

built both from parts. Ledt is warmoth nody with 2tek bridge and moses graphite neck with Batolinis, right is mostly fender parts, schaller tuners, lollar pickups 

20240313_215154.thumb.jpg.9e47dc240b832d39a79dd9b06bd9e75f.jpg

Built entirely from scratch. Friend built the neck

20230412_140041.thumb.jpg.ca33d1bc9d61a56bb3868568d6b267f9.jpg

Defretted, put in bartolinis and a bart harness

20221028_115035.thumb.jpg.30ba033643fec9942f218ffbb5a60877.jpg

I love the looks of the orange one.

• Thanks 1

This one was a Mexican precision but I fitted my old jazz neck on it, tonerider pickup and a kiogon loom with a 0.1 cap, it’s got a 60s threaded bridge with the bassmute , sounds and plays really nice 

IMG_1622.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's my modded Reverend Triad.  Can you spot the mod?

01_all.jpg.b17b3f526fc686d4c6cf8d0369f0cc5c.jpg

Of course you can't, because that's the point.  It's got a Freeway 10 way switch fitted.  Direct replacement for the standard 5 way blade, virtually imperceptible from the outside unless you look at the switch tip being at a slight angle.  Sneaky bugger, innit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Of course you can't, because that's the point.  It's got a Freeway 10 way switch fitted.  Direct replacement for the standard 5 way blade, virtually imperceptible from the outside unless you look at the switch tip being at a slight angle.  Sneaky bugger, innit?

10 way?  Nice!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, neepheid said:

What are the options on the switch?

As far as I can count there would "only" be 7 different possible pickup combinations, unless some of the are parallel/series options.

7 different solo/parallel options, and then respectively neck/middle - middle/bridge - neck/bridge in series?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What are the options on the switch?

As far as I can count there would "only" be 7 different pickup combinations possible, unless some of the are parallel/series options.

Bottom bank of five - standard Strat style options - N, N+M, M, M+B, B (all parallel)

Top bank of five - the weird stuff - N+M (series), N+B (parallel), N+B (series), N+M+B (parallel), M+B (series)

There is an alternative wiring scheme which replaces the last setting with N+M+B (series) should you prefer that.

• Thanks 1

Here’s my Mustang and my Vigier. Both extensively modified; bought in a pre modified state which game me licence to do the mods to my taste without having to carve up a mint instrument. 

IMG_9057.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ped said:

Here’s my Mustang and my Vigier. Both extensively modified; bought in a pre modified state which game me licence to do the mods to my taste without having to carve up a mint instrument. 

IMG_9057.jpeg

Was the Vigier modded to be invisible?

• Haha 5

For anyone who hasn't seen my Sadowsky thread. This is an update of my earlier post of the the pickups only on page one of here. My mate finished it Wednesday, and I played it tonight at rehearsal - will gig it tomorrow night. 

So it's 3 Nordstand Fat Stacks, still the Sadowsky pre, and pan pot replaced with a five way rotary - ala Strat style (rear, rear+middle, middle, middle+front, front).

IMG-20240528-WA0001.thumb.jpg.6b77d7dc3fab01aafec740cb17dd3a3e.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

My 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I named "Dud Bottomfeeder" (note though that right pot knob now is red):

image.thumb.png.694e7a9017ad0d2228af651a6ccf045e.png

Maple neck/Rosewood fretboard China December 2010 produced GSRM20 Mikro Bass, coupled with a Mahogany (due to it's unusually light weight, but really looking a lot like Mahogany, I suspect it really is Okoume) Indonesia 2017 produced GSRM20B Mikro Bass body.

The stock pickups replaced for respectively a piece of folded black cardboard as far as goes the J pickup, and an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, which has been moved to the front, replacing the barrel type stock jack socket with a proper quality regular one, using one of the redundant pot holes for this.

Other than that the two remaining pot knobs has been replaced for 2 transparent/black PRS Lampshade knobs, with respectively green and red electrical tape (also known as insulating tape) cut to size applied on the the top.

Same red electrical tape has been applied to the top of the P pickup, and a Jack Skellington (character in Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" animated puppet movie) skull has been applied on the body, over the bridge.

Small "The Scream" like stickers that was included with a Sherman Filterbank 2 synth (which I since unfortunately has been stupid enough to sell again at some point) has been applied to the headstock. 

Currently strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings, of the gauges: .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, chosen for almost perfectly balanced tension, and tuned to tenor bass tuning, A# standard tuning, as in a ½ step above the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings, to not fall through the bridge mounting holes.

I am considering replacing the bridge for black ABM mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass, and possibly in the same instance reducing the bridge string spacing 1 or 2 mm for the current standard 19mm.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

12 hours ago, lidl e said:

Ibanez SDGR1500-P

Added kahler whammy.

20240610_190637.thumb.jpg.b59832193b10c09fe0fa74271fbd5b2a.jpg20240610_190702.thumb.jpg.7786093b2c98d9e80a9571d1bfec0bb6.jpg

I wish I could afford having a tremolo fitted on my bass.

Or well, I suppose it would be a question of priority, but just so much other musical equipment that is higher on my wish list/more important to me.

But really cool.

And I've always wanted a bass with a tremolo system.

Especially useful as how I mainly play my bass, that is tuned to tenor bass tuning (A1 standard tuning, or thereabout), and played accordingly. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2024 at 16:30, neepheid said:

Bottom bank of five - standard Strat style options - N, N+M, M, M+B, B (all parallel)

Top bank of five - the weird stuff - N+M (series), N+B (parallel), N+B (series), N+M+B (parallel), M+B (series)

There is an alternative wiring scheme which replaces the last setting with N+M+B (series) should you prefer that.

How many of the 10 options do you use?  

After doing lots of experimenting when I got my Triad, I mainly keep to either the neck soloed or the middle pup soloed; normally its just the middle pup on.  The option to have the bridge and neck together, like a jazz bass with both pups full on would be useful perhaps, but I have 2 other 4 string basses with that option, so I don't have the incentive to mod mine yet.