Why become a member? ×

Your modified bass !!!

nilorius

12 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

How many of the 10 options do you use?  

After doing lots of experimenting when I got my Triad, I mainly keep to either the neck soloed or the middle pup soloed; normally its just the middle pup on.  The option to have the bridge and neck together, like a jazz bass with both pups full on would be useful perhaps, but I have 2 other 4 string basses with that option, so I don't have the incentive to mod mine yet.

I flit between three favourites - neck only, neck and middle (series), middle and bridge (series)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I wish I could afford having a tremolo fitted on my bass.

Or well, I suppose it would be a question of priority, but just so much other musical equipment that is higher on my wish list/more important to me.

But really cool.

And I've always wanted a bass with a tremolo system.

Especially useful as how I mainly play my bass, that is tuned to tenor bass tuning (A1 standard tuning, or thereabout), and played accordingly. 

I modified this over 20 years ago!

This was actually a bass i got for "free". I've told this story here before, but i had a bass that was stolen, got insurance money for it and bought this ibanez with that. Then, a few years later my bass was recovered and returned to me. I had moved onto my MIA Jazz Bass as my main by then, so i figured the Ibanez would be perfect for the whammy. I was big into the noise/improv scene. 

Now that I'm getting back into it, i pulled this old fella out.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 18:32, Baloney Balderdash said:

My 4 string Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I named "Dud Bottomfeeder" (note though that right pot knob now is red):

image.png.63f8d9ca1fab75a9bb02e345449385

Maple neck/Rosewood fretboard China December 2010 produced GSRM20 Mikro Bass, coupled with a Mahogany (due to it's unusually light weight, but really looking a lot like Mahogany, I suspect it really is Okoume) Indonesia 2017 produced GSRM20B Mikro Bass body.

The stock pickups replaced for respectively a piece of folded black cardboard as far as goes the J pickup, and an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, which has been moved to the front, replacing the barrel type stock jack socket with a proper quality regular one, using one of the redundant pot holes for this.

Other than that the two remaining pot knobs has been replaced for 2 transparent/black PRS Lampshade knobs, with respectively green and red electrical tape (also known as insulating tape) cut to size applied on the the top.

Same red electrical tape has been applied to the top of the P pickup, and a Jack Skellington (character in Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" animated puppet movie) skull has been applied on the body, over the bridge.

Small "The Scream" like stickers that was included with a Sherman Filterbank 2 synth (which I since unfortunately has been stupid enough to sell again at some point) has been applied to the headstock. 

Currently strung with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings, of the gauges: .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, chosen for almost perfectly balanced tension, and tuned to tenor bass tuning, A# standard tuning, as in a ½ step above the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings, to not fall through the bridge mounting holes.

I am considering replacing the bridge for black ABM mono rail bridge pieces, milled from solid brass, and possibly in the same instance reducing the bridge string spacing 1 or 2 mm for the current standard 19mm.

This how it looks currently (changed the pot knobs and chrome tuners for some black ones):

A-A-Old-GSRM20-B-Mikro-Bass-260624-New-t

Edited by Baloney Balderdash