Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: the MS-60B+

Rich

On 21/06/2024 at 18:09, Al Krow said:

Looks like these are now in stock with Bax. Just ordered mine - should arrive mid next week.

im still interested in getting this. I sent the 2 B2-fours back as I felt they were overkill, and I really wanted something that runs off batteries. Got a Paradriver and sent that back, and at the moment ive gone back to a BDDI, but can help feel it's over priced for what it is. 

On 21/06/2024 at 18:09, Al Krow said:

Looks like these are now in stock with Bax. Just ordered mine - should arrive mid next week.

Have you received it yet?

I’ve just returned my BDDI and also ordered the MS60B+ from Bax. 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Have you received it yet?

I’ve just returned my BDDI and also ordered the MS60B+ from Bax. 

Might have been delivered to the post office today, but I've been rehearsing with my crew this afternoon.

You liked the BDDI sim on the MS60B, right? Can't imagine this will sound any worse so should pay for the cost of the pedal on that sim alone!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Might have been delivered to the post office today, but I've been rehearsing with my crew this afternoon.

You liked the BDDI sim on the MS60B, right? Can't imagine this will sound any worse so should pay for the cost of the pedal on that sim alone!

The BDDI sims ive tried have been more noisy than the real thing. The best was the one in the B2-four.  More than passable, it had a bit more body to it over the B1-Four (not used my old MS60 for years so cant comment), but a pain to tweak live (not that i intend to do a lot of that, just harder to get to the knobs). 

The BDDI cost just over £100 more so yeah, quids in. 

If the B2-four had been a bit more compact and ran off batteries id have kept it (them). All my practice is with headphones at home, so i guess i can hear things that i wouldn’t necessarily hear with a band. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Mine arrived this morning. it came in huge box, people at work thought I had ordered another pair of trainers. 

I was surprised to find that BAX has a warehouse over here. Good service so far and faster than Thomanns. 

I spent about 30mins tonight playing with the Zoom. I must admit it’s been the most instantly  enjoyable pedal ive had recently. This could also be down to me getting my Jazz bass out for the first time in about 10 years, but as i was going through the presets i didn’t find any (well, maybe a couple of synth ones) that i thought could never be used. 

I like that the editing screen doesn't have a time limit (as far as i could tell), and it’s as easy to set up as the B2-Four is. Both (for me) easier than my B1-four.

It also seemd to have less hiss compared to the B2-four, BUT, this was using the mono jack out in to an interface and in to my ipad. When i had the B2-four(s) i only ever used the USB out, so i wonder if its a bit brighter than the jack out. There was still tonnes of noise when going through the OD’s etc, so it’s nowhere near dead quiet. Thats not something id want to do at a gig or rehearsal.

Choruses also sounded more usable, but again, different outputs and different basses. 

I like the fact that the amps have a cab blend, which the B2-four doesnt, but i felt all the amps sounded at their best with the cabs on 100%, so i cant seem using the blend knob much. Im not really interested in using the amps anyway, but they do seem pretty solid.

I tried the foot control and it was surprisingly accurate and easy to do.

All in all, really pleased with it, but im thinking of sending it back as i need the money for something else this month, and don’t have a gig for about 6 weeks. Id rather get it again in a few weeks so i can use it at a rehearsal though an amp, with the option of sending it back if i don’t get on with it. 

• Like 1

That's all very encouraging to hear Dave. I picked mine up today and hope to spend some time getting to grips with it this week.

My key test is going to whether it's less noisy than the B1-4. I have a couple of preamp patches set up for my Spector with it's high output electronics and for which I've got a couple of ZNR (noise reduction) sims included. I'll set the same patch up with no ZNR on both and see how noisy both are.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's all very encouraging to hear Dave. I picked mine up today and hope to spend some time getting to grips with it this week.

My key test is going to whether it's less noisy than the B1-4. I have a couple of preamp patches set up for my Spector with it's high output electronics and for which I've got a couple of ZNR (noise reduction) sims included. I'll set the same patch up with no ZNR on both and see how noisy both are.

I must admit to being so taken with this, especially after not using my original one or B1-four in a band context. 

I do feel its missing a bit of top end sparkle, and that might explain why to my ears it had less hiss, but I know through a rig that wouldn't be an issue. it definitely sounded warmer than the B2-four.

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I must admit to being so taken with this, especially after not using my original one or B1-four in a band context. 

I do feel its missing a bit of top end sparkle, and that might explain why to my ears it had less hiss, but I know through a rig that wouldn't be an issue. it definitely sounded warmer than the B2-four.

I'd recommend adding in an EQ sim with with added "presence" e.g. at around 1.6KHz and 3.6kHz to give you some added top end zing - I find that's worked well on my B1-4 and I'll be making use of that on the 60B+

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'd recommend adding in an EQ sim with with added "presence" e.g. at around 1.6KHz and 3.6kHz to give you some added top end zing - I find that's worked well on my B1-4 and I'll be making use of that on the 60B+

Yeah, i was really just going by the stock presets, and the BDDI on its own (which has a presence knob).  I’m pretty sure it can be improved.  Cheers. 

Been reading this with interest as a long time Zoom user. Particularly interested in the midi implementation and if I can control it with my HX Stomp via the Source Audio midi adapter. Would need a USB C to 3.5 stereo cable. Might order one and see, and send it back if not happening 🤔

35 minutes ago, roceci said:

Been reading this with interest as a long time Zoom user. Particularly interested in the midi implementation and if I can control it with my HX Stomp via the Source Audio midi adapter. Would need a USB C to 3.5 stereo cable. Might order one and see, and send it back if not happening 🤔

You can download the manual, that has the midi implementation in it i believe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

You can download the manual, that has the midi implementation in it i believe. 

Just found that but the implementation makes no sense to me. I'm not a midi expert by any means and was looking for #CC and #PC values, I can understand those! Just have to give it a whirl I reckon.

7 hours ago, roceci said:

Just found that but the implementation makes no sense to me. I'm not a midi expert by any means and was looking for #CC and #PC values, I can understand those! Just have to give it a whirl I reckon.

The only MIDI signals that Zoom document are PC, values 0-100. 

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

The only MIDI signals that Zoom document are PC, values 0-100. 

Thanks. So I should be able to send PC changes 1-100 to change presets, is that right?

I can't find a manual for the + online. Has there been a change in the parameters that can be adjusted for the effects? 

I remember it being a bit frustrating with the MS 60 that things like the Compressors can potentially do everything you'd want  (knee, threshold, ratio, crossover, attack, release, tone etc.) but no one compressor does more than a couple of those things. You want crossover and threshold control, or attack and knee, or tone and ratio? ...not happening! At least, not happening with one single compressor effect.  Another example is the Chorus, 'Ba Chorus' is the only one with cutoff adjust,  the other three chorus 'flavours' do not, what if I want stereo chorus or chorus ensemble with a low cutoff?  Ideally I'd like a  'Zoom special' of effects that has all the parameters available rather them each having limited control. Perhaps that's a processing power issue, or because they stick to emulating analogue pedals, but seems to miss out on what can make digital multi-fx really good - all that extra parameter control that you can't get from analogue pedals.   

Is it just me, or is the on screen menu a lot more intuitive and easy to navigate compared to the MS-60B?!

Having 100 rather than 50 patch memories and 6 fx per patch (one more than my B1-4) instead of 4 fx on the 60B is going to be a treat.

• Like 1

Anyone had any real world experience with this yet?  Wondering how the sound quality compares and whether there are new effects that weren't previously there.., I remember loving the idea of the first one but didn't like the bypassed tone suck I perceived... this new iteration has piqued my interest again though 🤔

46 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Anyone had any real world experience with this yet?  Wondering how the sound quality compares and whether there are new effects that weren't previously there.., I remember loving the idea of the first one but didn't like the bypassed tone suck I perceived... this new iteration has piqued my interest again though 🤔

Real world being 'used it'? I posted my thoughts above. 

5 hours ago, roceci said:

Thanks. So I should be able to send PC changes 1-100 to change presets, is that right?

Yes. The older MS-60B is the same.

• Like 1