Why become a member? ×

New Zoom Multi FX: the MS-60B+

Rich

On 07/09/2024 at 13:33, Osiris said:

A question for those that own, or have owned, one of these...

What is the case made from? From what I can gather online it suggests the new + series pedals have metal cases but the recently dropped bass the world video for the pedal says it's a plastic case. So which is it? 

Ignore my previous post... they are right, mostly. The black sides and bottom is metal, the red top is indeed some kind of tough plastic. I have had one for a couple of weeks and I hadn't realised! It doesn't feel plastic, apart from it being slightly warmer to the touch than the metal parts. Seems very well built. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Ignore my previous post... they are right, mostly. The black sides and bottom is metal, the red top is indeed some kind of tough plastic. I have had one for a couple of weeks and I hadn't realised! It doesn't feel plastic, apart from it being slightly warmer to the touch than the metal parts. Seems very well built. 

Thanks for the update. Do you think it feels sturdy enough to survive regular gigging on a pedal board? Not that I stamp hard on my pedals but things occasionally get knocked over and just wondered if it's likely to be tough enough to survive such an encounter? I'd guess it would be considering the other features, switches, screen huge make up a lot of the top face of the unit. 

9 hours ago, Osiris said:

Thanks for the update. Do you think it feels sturdy enough to survive regular gigging on a pedal board? Not that I stamp hard on my pedals but things occasionally get knocked over and just wondered if it's likely to be tough enough to survive such an encounter? I'd guess it would be considering the other features, switches, screen huge make up a lot of the top face of the unit. 

I think so. I think it could get scuffed but it doesn't seem fragile at all. I imagine the screen is the weakest point, although the screen itself is quite a bit under the protective window so you probably could crack the window but not damage the screen itself. The 4 rotary knobs are installed at an angle within a recess so they also seem reasonably protected. 

Nothing is damage proof, of course, but this thing seems sturdier than the B6 (which I also have) and especially the previous generation B1Four by some margin.

Installed on a pedal board? I would not worry about it. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mcnach said:

I think so. I think it could get scuffed but it doesn't seem fragile at all. I imagine the screen is the weakest point, although the screen itself is quite a bit under the protective window so you probably could crack the window but not damage the screen itself. The 4 rotary knobs are installed at an angle within a recess so they also seem reasonably protected. 

Nothing is damage proof, of course, but this thing seems sturdier than the B6 (which I also have) and especially the previous generation B1Four by some margin.

Installed on a pedal board? I would not worry about it. 

That's great, I appreciate it 👍

• Thanks 1

On 10/09/2024 at 13:26, Osiris said:

Hi mate.

Having just finished a run of functions and wedding gigs using nothing but a bass, Multistomp and di, I think it feels really sturdy.

It has already survived being knocked off an 18" sub onto a hard stage (thanks sound engineer) and picked up and dropped onto a tiled floor (thanks toddler).

I've never gigged with a multi-fx, and was a little worried about reliability and sturdiness too, but it seems solid so far. Time will tell, though!

• Thanks 1

A few thoughts on the new multistep for live use after some gigs with it - 

It's so easy to scroll through the different fx within a patch. I never felt like it was too tricky to hit the scroll buttons on stage, or to see what effect I was scrolling to.

The tuner is great.

Very low noise.

I only really use the following effects live:

The ztron filter is great - I actually prefer it to the analog filters I've been using live.

The analog octaver is also good, especially after having low expectations reading some comments. Maybe it misses the last 5%  mid-warmth of an actual analog pedal, but I really didn't miss that, especially when playing live. I don't think I'd have really noticed a difference if I hadn't done side-by-side comparisons with a couple of octavers when I received the Multistomp.

Compressors seem OK - haven't played much with p compressors before, but on low settings these seem to add a nice bit of thump in an IEM mix. 

And as a bonus, load in now entirely fits in one hard-case, which has been weirdly satisfying.

What a fantastic bit of kit. Given the the eq, reverb and mod available, it's amazing it's so cheap. HPF and LPF alone often cost as much, let alone a versatile eq pedal.

My only nagging worry is the long-term reliability, but that's based purely on unearned cynicism towards digital fx - it seems more than rugged enough.

• Like 4