Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass - carved top

honza992

19 minutes ago, honza992 said:

It feels like cheating. I feel as though I should be doing it freestyle, with only my keen luthier's eye and maybe a beret.....

Just had to add this to the Basschat Great Quotes thread! 

• Like 1

Although it's not finished, I've strung this one up to see whether the top was going to implode.  It's been a couple of days, so I'm definitely pretty relieved.  There's still quite a bit to do - the bridge is a temporary one, the nut is just a piece of scrap, the heel cap needs to be glued on, everything needs to be sanded properly, and of course it needs some finish applied.  There's still set up and fret leveling and installing the pickup etc etc.  However, I know you lot haven't been sleeping with the anticipation of it all, so here's a sneak low-res preview.  

20240615_222857-COLLAGE-1.thumb.jpg.84682944a2499f749f6084de4d89538f.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, honza992 said:

However, I know you lot haven't been sleeping with the anticipation of it all, so here's a sneak low-res preview.  

20240615_222857-COLLAGE-1.thumb.jpg.84682944a2499f749f6084de4d89538f.jpg

Once I've come down from the joyous expectation I had for this update, I'll finally get some sleep tonight. 😂

Mark

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all.  Things have slowed a bit because my daughter is off school for the summer holidays - all three (yes 3!!!) months of them.  

But, we're pretty much reaching the finish line.  Literally.  I started finishing the body yesterday with a seal coat of epoxy.  Today I started the Tru-oil.  The neck still needs a bit of tweaking before starting on the tru oil.  I'll do a full finish write-up once it's done.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'll do a proper write-up once it really is finished, but some initial thoughts are:

-  it looks amazing!  At some point I'll get some proper photos done.  My phone and workshop lighting do not make for a David Bailey experience....

- the geometry has mostly come out well.  The metal bridge looks nice, but is sh_te.  I may replace the string retainer with a handmade ebony thing. 

- The acoustic sound is very nice.  It's slightly louder and much more complex than the last prototype I built.  More overtones, more focussed, less 'flabby' sounding.  

-  the traditionalists will crucify me, but I used Tru-oil for the spruce top and the walnut back.  On the spruce top it looks completely amazing.  Better than the french-polished shellac I used on the previous guitar. 

- The piezo pickup isn't installed yet.  I'll do fret levelling, set-up and finish everything else before installing.  I'll need to drill a hole in the top for the wire, so I want to make sure the bridge is in the right place first....

• Like 6

13 hours ago, honza992 said:

I'll do a proper write-up once it really is finished, but some initial thoughts are:

The metal bridge looks nice, but is sh_te.  I may replace the string retainer with a handmade ebony thing. 

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

With an ebony tailpiece, it will look even more stunning!

Ebony will be stunning, and suit the overall aesthetic. Fantastic work @honza992

• 3 weeks later...

OK, last few bits and bobs with this one. 

Setup first.  I like to be able to get the action pretty low.  1.75mm for the E string at the 12th and 1.5mm for G string.  That's with only a touch of relief on the truss rod.  I've stopped using nuts and instead have a zero fret.  The fretwire is the same for the zero fret but I don't level it when I'm doing the other frets.  All this means that the action is incredibly light.  Particularly the first 5 frets.  My daughter's guitar teacher (who's a far better bass player than me) came round the other day and said it felt like playing a fretless!  That's definitely my goal.  Most people probably will want to raise the action a bit, particularly since this is an acoustic, but it's nice to know it can go low if necessary. 

My setup routine is probably similar to everyone.  The only thing slightly unusual is that I level the frets under string tension.  First step is getting it to tension (or actually a semitone below), then using a straight edge on top of the frets to get the neck as straight and flat as possible:

IMG_20240808_100623_HDR.thumb.jpg.6c385f9e82a3a9b08dc75aa5723d4d93.jpg

I then use an aluminium C-shaped beam with 400 grit sandpaper on the bottom to level all the frets (as mentioned above, apart from the zero fret). 

IMG_20240808_103114.jpg.2b9f852734ff0b545ef6969f77acdf3c.jpg

More or less the final job is the pickup. I'm using a fishman matrix Infinity piezo which is under the saddle.  This means I need to drill a hole in the top for the cable.  After countless hours of work this was definitely a job not to do with a hangover.  Or given I've got an eight year old, high on gummy-bears.  Mark up the bridge location with tape, then a 2.5mm through the top, praying that my plans are accurate and I'm not about to drill through the X brace.....

IMG_20240809_104434.thumb.jpg.df94c2863edf90a763540180976e898a.jpg

IMG_20240809_104801_HDR.thumb.jpg.2d4f8686982bfd6fbb5d97d49da39a1c.jpg

Phew.  Done.  

Tomorrow I'll string it up again and plug it in for the first time....

One thing that has turned out beautifully on this build is the finish on the top.  It was an epoxy seal coat then 5 or 6 wipe on/wipe off coats of tru oil.  As a finish it look stunning.  The last one had a french polished top which was nice, but dare I say it this one is better.  It's hard to see in my rubbish photos, but the wood glows.... 

IMG_20240810_201118.jpg

• Like 13

Nice way to do the fret dressing under tension, way faster than using the Stewmac bench and all the gauges.

Very very very few luthiers do that fret dressing under tension and the only one I know is Leduc who is also doing a differential dressing (the treble side is straighter than the bass side) aka B-Bow when done by the Dobbratz brothers (Le Fay basses).

Again congratulations for your excellent work @honza992!