Why become a member? ×

The Big, Fat South-West Bass Bash 2024

scrumpymike

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2024 at 18:18, Nos said:

I'll apologise first for the dumb question, but.... What is this exactly?

I'm in North Devon so it's not far to come and sounds interesting but I just don't have a clue (this goes for most things by the way😆).

Don't faff about, just come, bring basses, amps  cabs and be prepared for an ace day with great food and top company.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!! Our drummer was involved in a road accident over the weekend - running across a busy road with hands full, tripped over, nutted the tarmac and buggered his hands!!! It's very doubtful that he'll be able to play our pub gig in Taunton this coming Saturday, so can anybody put me in touch with a drummer who could dep for him? We're a classic rock covers band doing the usual suspects - set list (hopefully) attached.

Silverback set-list WW.docx

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having just realised that we're two-thirds of the way through the S-W Bass Bash Year (October to October 😊), Mrs. Scrumpy and I decided to indulge in a bout of nostalgia by re-visiting last year's event. So glad we did, as it's reminded us what an awesome event our Bash is - and why we bother going to all the trouble every year. For those who haven't yet been (or have kinda forgotten, as even WE sometimes do), Rich's post-'23-event message sums it up as follows:

"If there are a handful of things I've taken away from yesterday, it's these:

1. Oh god, the food. And oh GOD, that crumble. ❤

2. What a lovely, lovely bunch of people you all are. It was like spending the day with people I've known all my life. I could almost get emotional about this. 

3. Between us, we don't half have some nice gear. Oh my word yes. Playing @Buddster's lovely '76 Jazz through my own rig was a personal highlight, and possibly a big mistake... 🤤

4. A renewed deep sense of satisfaction with my own gear. Having drooled over everyone else's gear (especially @Kateplaysbass's immensely cool little green number), I was playing my Shuker and realised that I was really listening to it in a way that I don't normally, almost never have in fact, and I've fallen in love with it all over again. I'm a lucky so-&-so. I think we all are, actually.

Thank you all again for a wonderful day. I only wish Norm and yorks could have been there with us."

Couldn't have put it better myself!

We're already looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

PS: Stewie, how are you liking that 'love-child of a bass guitar and a white Cadillac' you acquired last year? Must confess I was a teeny bit jealous.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

3. Between us, we don't half have some nice gear. Oh my word yes. Playing @Buddster's lovely '76 Jazz through my own rig was a personal highlight, and possibly a big mistake... 🤤

Thanks Mr Scrumpy. It's a lovely thing for sure. Very lucky to have it, and the way I got was special. 

There was definitely some lovely gear there

5 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Is it too early to start the gear list..?

Maybe not. I'll bring whatever is of interest to anyone from the gear listed in my signature below. I think they're all keepers (famous last words!!) so should still be available come October.

On 13/06/2024 at 13:42, scrumpymike said:

PS: Stewie, how are you liking that 'love-child of a bass guitar and a white Cadillac' you acquired last year? Must confess I was a teeny bit jealous.

Hey Mike - I love it, everyone else loves it too 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know a dep drummer for our Silverback gig at the Quantock Brewery, Taunton this Saturday June 29th and possibly more? Great venue!! We play classic rock covers from the usual suspects. Set list available and possibility of a mid-week rehearsal.  Call me on 07770 946135.

• 5 weeks later...

Im aiming at attending this year as ive missed a couple due to work commitments .

As far as kit goes,   no change but i will bring it anyway as ive missed seeing all the usual suspects.

See you there. 

Jim.

• Like 3

For a change I'll bring my home practice rig, and some unusual basses. Current thinking:

Joyo Badass 50W hybrid head.

PJB C2 cab.

Hohner Jack V professional.

Kay (Teisco) Tulip.

+ whichever bass feels right as no. 3.

• Like 1

1. @scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then

2. Rich - Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab.

Keep it going folks

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 1

1. @scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then
  2. @Rich - Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab.
  3. @Frank Blank - Short scale @Jabba_the_gut fretted and fretless basses, QSC K12.2, Grace Design Alix.

Keep it going folks

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

Only just realised there's a thread going for this year's bash! 

I'll be there - gearwise I'll bring my Ashdown CTM-100 and LB212.

As far as basses go, I'll bring my Pawn Shop Mustang, medium scale ACG Finn, and maybe also my ACG Recurve and Bass Collection 5 string fretless, since I'm thinking about offloading both of those, and last year was quite successful on that front! 

Really looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Oddly, and somewhat uncharacteristically I haven't bought any basses this year. I have bought a Lava Me Play guitar, but apart from that not much new. 

Maybe I will bring the Bongo, they are always good for people to like or hate and you don't see many of those in the wild.

• Like 2

I plan to head up from Falmouth again.  This time I'll bring my Fender oldies, a 1971 Jazz and a 1973 Precision along with my workhorse, the Sadowsky PJ, plus the BF One10s and a Genzler Magellan 350 which I acquired earlier this year.

• Like 2

My job for this evening is sorting out a couple of church rotas. Which means I get to make sure I am free that Sunday. 🥳

Brawley 5 string, as usual,

HB 5 String thing with Roland hex pickup and V-bass COSM synth:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/479008-help-advice-rolandboss-cosm-midi-synth-experience/?do=findComment&comment=5014148

• Like 2

@scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then

@Rich - Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab. 

@Kateplaysbass - Ashdown CTM-100 and LB212, Pawn Shop Mustang, medium scale ACG Finn, and maybe also ACG Recurve and Bass Collection 5 string fretless, since I'm thinking about offloading both of those

@Woodinblack -  Bongo, just to wind people up

@Frank Blank  - Short scale  Jabba_the_gut fretted and fretless basses, QSC K12.2, Grace Design Alix.

@Richard R - Brawley 5 string, as usual, HB 5 String thing with Roland hex pickup and V-bass COSM synth.

@BreadBin - something interesting

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

SHOOT-OUT OR CAB BUILD?

Our friend Phil is asking whether we want another cab/amp-based shoot-out this year or a self-build session featuring the new 8" cab. He is also able to do a session on the 'dark art' of the PA system but feels that may just be a step too far away from bass stuff.

What's the verdict?

• Like 1