Why become a member? ×

The Big, Fat South-West Bass Bash 2024

scrumpymike

Well I'm obviously going to be there. I'll bring along a collection of the Basschat home built speakers and I'll provide a PA for the main hall.

I'll try and run something entertaining after lunch as I've done for a few years now. As Mike has already said that could be:

• Another bass cab shoot out.
  • A quick comparative look at PA systems
  • A live cab build of the new Basschat design

Bass cab shoot out. I have four identical PA channels so can run a fair blind test with four cabs hidden behind a screen. Can you tell the difference? In the past we've run this with 12" speakers but I could do it with any combination of cabs, It might be interesting to throw an Ampeg into the mix and run it against a modern FRFR cab.

PA Systems We've had a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of using smaller PA speakers with Subs v's bigger PA speakers without subs v's modern stick systems like the RCF Evox. A group of us in the West Country have discussed getting them all together in a room and trying them out. We could share that with everyone.

Live Cab Build Six years ago I built a cab at the bass bash in 47 minutes. There's a video up on You Tube  I've just put up a new design on Basschat for an 8" speaker and I'd be happy to have another go, probably in the side room. It would be nice to re shoot the video and put in some close ups to make it all clearer.

I'm happy to run any of these but it does take a bit of time to prepare and I can only really run one. We did bass amps at the last Bash so I'm keen to do something different this time.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 4

Thanks for that Phil. I - and no doubt others - will have a think and post our thoughts on here. My initial one is to go for the 8" cab build as the video will make it useful beyond Bash day. Although I'm strangely intrigued by the PA option. For me, that's always been the 'elephant' on stage 😐

• Like 2

We've swaped thoughts on PA before Mike and you were one of the West Country people  I was thinking of.  Maybe we could play with PA speakers in the side room during the day and perhaps do something more organised next year.

Let's see what people want once we have a few more comments :)

Sign me up! I will bring:

• A very nice double bass (well, I think so anyway)
  • An Ashbory Bass
  • GSS 06B400MKD combo

• Anyone who lives between Oxford and the venue who needs a lift and is willing to pay a little towards petrol.

I went to last year's SE Bass Bash and brought the following, but they didn't seem to garner much interest. If you want me to bring them, let me know:

• Warwick Streamer fretless
  • Sandberg Custom 5 with Delano XTender
  • Sandberg TT Marcus Miller rip-off
  • BC 110T cabinet
  • BC 112mk3 cabinet
  • Acoustic Image Coda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Happy to take a look.

Well, I could take some time and work it out - I mean there is nothing in it I didn't bolt there in the first place, so it is either the speaker (which it doesn't seem to be) or the electronic board.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chyc said:

Sign me up! I will bring:

• A very nice double bass (well, I think so anyway)
  • An Ashbory Bass
  • GSS 06B400MKD combo

• Anyone who lives between Oxford and the venue who needs a lift and is willing to pay a little towards petrol.

I went to last year's SE Bass Bash and brought the following, but they didn't seem to garner much interest. If you want me to bring them, let me know:

• Warwick Streamer fretless
  • Sandberg Custom 5 with Delano XTender
  • Sandberg TT Marcus Miller rip-off
  • BC 110T cabinet
  • BC 112mk3 cabinet
  • Acoustic Image Coda

Interesting bass selection there 👍

• Like 2

Hey folks, still hoping I can get to this but will have to confirm 100% nearer the time. If I do, I will bring: 

•Frost Custom Basses PJ5 (my first build from scratch) 

•Sandberg California TT5 Passive

•Possibly my customised Yamaha BBN5 

•Markbass Stu Amp 1000w

•GR Bass GR 410+ (1200w, 4 ohm) 

•A fairly unexciting pedal board 😅

May also bring my converted Trace 1x15" cab, if it's in a satisfactory state by then 

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2024 at 08:02, Phil Starr said:
  • Another bass cab shoot out.
  • A quick comparative look at PA systems
  • A live cab build of the new Basschat design

My 1st choice would be PA. It's a real black art and something I'd like to know more about.

UPDATED LIST:

@scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then

@Rich - Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab. 

@Kateplaysbass - Ashdown CTM-100 and LB212, Pawn Shop Mustang, medium scale ACG Finn, and maybe also ACG Recurve and Bass Collection 5 string fretless, since I'm thinking about offloading both of those

@Woodinblack -  Bongo, just to wind people up

@Frank Blank  - Short scale  Jabba_the_gut fretted and fretless basses, QSC K12.2, Grace Design Alix.

@Richard R - Brawley 5 string, as usual, HB 5 String thing with Roland hex pickup and V-bass COSM synth.

@BreadBin - something interesting

@chyc - a very nice double bass, an Ashbory Bass, GSS 06B400MKD combo, and possibly Warwick Streamer fretless, Sandberg Custom 5 with Delano XTender, Sandberg TT Marcus Miller rip-off, BC 110T cabinet, BC 112mk3 cabinet, Acoustic Image Coda

@TRBboy - Frost Custom Basses PJ5 (my first build from scratch), Sandberg California TT5 Passive, possibly my customised Yamaha BBN5, Markbass Stu Amp 1000w, GR Bass GR 410+ (1200w, 4 ohm), a fairly unexciting pedal board 😅, & converted Trace 1x15" cab, if it's in a satisfactory state by then

UPDATED LIST:

Just removing myself from the list. I have just given up playing and, a matter of days later, the QSC packed up! I'll be selling up soon, apart from the QSC obviously.

@scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then

@Rich- Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab. 

@Kateplaysbass - Ashdown CTM-100 and LB212, Pawn Shop Mustang, medium scale ACG Finn, and maybe also ACG Recurve and Bass Collection 5 string fretless, since I'm thinking about offloading both of those

@Woodinblack -  Bongo, just to wind people up

@Richard R - Brawley 5 string, as usual, HB 5 String thing with Roland hex pickup and V-bass COSM synth.

@BreadBin - something interesting

@chyc - a very nice double bass, an Ashbory Bass, GSS 06B400MKD combo, and possibly Warwick Streamer fretless, Sandberg Custom 5 with Delano XTender, Sandberg TT Marcus Miller rip-off, BC 110T cabinet, BC 112mk3 cabinet, Acoustic Image Coda

@TRBboy - Frost Custom Basses PJ5 (my first build from scratch), Sandberg California TT5 Passive, possibly my customised Yamaha BBN5, Markbass Stu Amp 1000w, GR Bass GR 410+ (1200w, 4 ohm), a fairly unexciting pedal board 😅, & converted Trace 1x15" cab, if it's in a satisfactory state by then

• Sad 5

Not sure what I will be bringing.

My Fender Aerodyne is not in use at the moment. I might bring it so that one of our real luthier can tell me what is wrong with it, assuming I  cannot work it out for myself.

So from:

• Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass (P/J)
  • Sire Marcus Miller M2
  • Bugera Veyron the MOSFET one.
  • Ashdown Retroglide 800
  • LFSys Monza
  • A.N.Other bass TBC
  • After 8  Combo on steroids.
  • Allen and Heath CQ20B Digital Mixer.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

How do people cut and paste the list without losing the username links?

Are the links needed?

You can't. 

I don't suppose they are really, although is does alert folk when a change to the list has been made.

@scrumpymike - everything he owns unless he sells it between now and then

@Rich - Shuker 5-string, OLP/Jaydee fretless 'Ray, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super 12T cab. 

@Kateplaysbass - Ashdown CTM-100 and LB212, Pawn Shop Mustang, medium scale ACG Finn, and maybe also ACG Recurve and Bass Collection 5 string fretless, since I'm thinking about offloading both of those

@Woodinblack -  Bongo, just to wind people up

@Frank Blank  - Short scale  Jabba_the_gut fretted and fretless basses, QSC K12.2, Grace Design Alix.

@Richard R - Brawley 5 string, as usual, HB 5 String thing with Roland hex pickup and V-bass COSM synth.

@BreadBin - something interesting

@chyc - a very nice double bass, an Ashbory Bass, GSS 06B400MKD combo, and possibly Warwick Streamer fretless, Sandberg Custom 5 with Delano XTender, Sandberg TT Marcus Miller rip-off, BC 110T cabinet, BC 112mk3 cabinet, Acoustic Image Coda

@TRBboy - Frost Custom Basses PJ5 (my first build from scratch), Sandberg California TT5 Passive, possibly my customised Yamaha BBN5, Markbass Stu Amp 1000w, GR Bass GR 410+ (1200w, 4 ohm), a fairly unexciting pedal board 😅, & converted Trace 1x15" cab, if it's in a satisfactory state by then

@Stub Mandrel - Joyo BadASS & PJB C2, three or four hopefully 'interesting' basses.