Why become a member? ×

Who has a killer bass that they've neglected for one reason or another?

jd56hawk

45 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You mean one with two fretted strings and two fretless strings?

I don’t even need a fretless for this gig lol.. I do however want a fretless!

Took a couple of my Yamaha BBG5s to the  luthier for refining earlier so decided to pick up my Fame Baphomet 5er.

OMG!! I'd forgotten what a great tool this is...sooo playable. 

I've updated the existing thread on here with more information about the instrument. 

• Like 1

My left handed TRB1005J 

I underrate it cos I got it cheap. Glad to say the only thing I could carp about is the weight. Seem to spend a lot of time playing a Sire p5,  go figure 

20240426_220501.thumb.jpg.a60c08d1a4a9ba7780c015e4b328db96.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Took a couple of my Yamaha BBG5s to the  luthier for refining earlier so decided to pick up my Fame Baphomet 5er.

OMG!! I'd forgotten what a great tool this is...sooo playable. 

I've updated the existing thread on here with more information about the instrument. 

I saw another post of yours with Yr trbs I recalled that you rated them.

On 09/07/2024 at 09:36, TheGreek said:

I still do...possibly one of the best basses per buck on the market. 

I had an irate (on his part) "conversation" with a person famillially from the former Yugoslavia who was convinced that decent yamahas from anywhere but Japan were unacceptable. 

Still vaguely regret not buying the dude on here's lefty trb 5 that was on here (for ages too sigh). Wouldn't admit that to Mr Slivovitz.

Just now, JottoSW1 said:

I had an irate (on his part) "conversation" with a person famillially from the former Yugoslavia who was convinced that decent yamahas from anywhere but Japan were unacceptable. 

Still vaguely regret not buying the dude on here's lefty trb 5 that was on here (for ages too sigh). Wouldn't admit that to Mr Slivovitz.

Conversation On Facebook quelle surprise

I think that we, as bass players, buy into "the Emperor's clothes" with a lot of stuff.  

If I've learnt one thing from gear tests at Bass Bashes is that we really aren't as good as we think at differentiating between gear - proof: the cheap/ expensive test at the Herts Bash...expensive basses did not fair well...and I suspect would do even worse today with the new cheapies on the market. 

IMO the "proof of the pudding" isn't what's on the headstock or where the gear was made, it's the subtle stuff like set ups, strings, and nuts. Even then 99.9% of punters and (I bet) most of us can't tell the difference. 

A good bass is a good bass wherever its built. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I was wondering too. The best that I could come up with was Jean Michael Jarre. 

As I said last time this came up, on the other forum I frequent JMJ would always mean Jean-Michel Jarre.

I must admit that after 30 something basses, my '66 modded mustang is absolutely bang on for me (which was a complete surprise). As such, my trusty Vigier Passion hasn't been played for probably over a year now. I have listed it for sale, and probably will sell it if a good buyer comes along, but equally i'm not in a rush. Maybe I'm in two minds. I let go of a Celinder, Smith, Pre-EB Musicman and others because of the little 'stang... maybe because the Vigier is the last step and the one I've had the longest it's hanging about. That, and it's been modified a lot (improved, IMO - I've had 6 Vigiers) which probably hammers the resale.

2 hours ago, crazycloud said:

But the name is horrible.

Known worse, isn't baphomet the name of an incarnation of the devil. 

Other than designer names like les paul I think alpha numerics have their advantages 

My USA Stingray.

I love it, but it spends most of its time at home for practice. 

I'd love gig it more, but the band consensus is that my Ricky (modded) is number 1....so less love for my MM. 

I do, on occasion,  defy everyone and gig it. Plus any dep gigs, I have and would reach for it straight away. 

Dont know about killer but the walnut CV 70's P bass I bought two years ago and tried a couple of times only, is back in its delivery box. Superb instrument but I dont really need it and it makes sense to keep it mint.  I cant sell it tho as they are still making the darn things. Have to wait till they drop the line I guess.