Why become a member? ×

LFSys Monaco.....a review

ebenezer

After following with interest the Basschat 112 Bass cab build thread, watching Stephen's journey to production, and reading many positive reviews I decided to pull the trigger and order the LFS Monaco cab.  After a few gigs I have to say I am certainly not disappointed!  The cab has a nice shape/form factor ie not too small and not too big,  I am also very impressed with the build quality, and knowing the cab is fully braced and built of quality plywood and quality components fills me with confidence regarding the roadworthiness.  

Describing the cabinet, tone-wise:

• muscular, full-bodied tone (unlike some other cabinets where the bottom end has little definition and impact and the tweeters are artificial and spitty)
  • good transition from 12 to the compression driver
  • loud for the size of box
  • handles power well
  • as mentioned by others, the mid range is great, even with the cabinet on the floor

Size, form factor:

• the quality top handle along with taller, shallower dimensions makes accessing/exiting venues a breeze
  • smaller stages no longer a problem
  • amps sit on top of the cabinet without issue
  • fits perfectly in a small car (bonus!!)
  • weight/size to output ratio is awesome

Stephen is a true gentleman to deal with, who goes above and beyond with his customer service and I would not hesitate to recommend him to other bassists!!  

In all, this is a fantastic, well-designed cab which performs better than any other cab I have owned.

Edited by ebenezer
  • Like 9

• ebenezer changed the title to LFSys Monaco.....a review
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone tried one with a double bass?  They are fussy instruments to amplify.  Any peaks or resonances from reflex tubes and ports, tend to case feedback issues.

Barefaced Big Baby 3 seems to work well.  Was wondering if the Monaco might actually beat it?

7 hours ago, Paddy Morris said:

Has anyone tried one with a double bass?  They are fussy instruments to amplify.  Any peaks or resonances from reflex tubes and ports, tend to case feedback issues.

Barefaced Big Baby 3 seems to work well.  Was wondering if the Monaco might actually beat it?

We tried one with db at the SW bass bash about two years ago. I'd persuaded @Rich to try a couple of my designs to help me out with developing the concept I was working on for db. We had one of the first Monacos produced there and I'm afraid it rather blew mine away. We've also run it and the Silverstone against the Barefaced cabs at the Bass Bash and they've always come out on top. The quality of the mid range and top end is exceptional, everything is so clean with no nasty peaks to set off resonances in a db and the bottom end is extended but controlled. You need to try one.

Stevie is a friend but he has seriously underpriced these cabs given the quality of the components and design IMO

• Like 1

As with @Phil Starr, I hope to be considered a friend of @stevie and although that might seem to suggest a bias, it also means that both Phil and I have a lot of insight into the cabinets that @steviedesigns. 

The controlled low end on his cabinets come from careful design and the use of expensive, high quality drivers. Many bass cabinets are designed to be “voiced”, that is have a dialed in response, often with a peak were a DB is itself resonant. 

You only have to pay some music through the cabs to hear that there are no nasty peaks or troughs and I would gladly use two Monza or Monaco cabs for HiFi. Of course, being a perfectionist,  @steviewould say they are not designed for that…

It is a shame that you are so far away as you could have borrowed mine. I am not gigging for a while as my guitarist had a heart attack last week. 

I should also add that I had a Monaco before but as I am having years and loosing muscle quit rapidly, I traded my Monaco with another basschatter for the Monza. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

As with @Phil Starr, I hope to be considered a friend of @stevie and although that might seem to suggest a bias, it also means that both Phil and I have a lot of insight into the cabinets that @steviedesigns. 

The controlled low end on his cabinets come from careful design and the use of expensive, high quality drivers. Many bass cabinets are designed to be “voiced”, that is have a dialed in response, often with a peak were a DB is itself resonant. 

You only have to pay some music through the cabs to hear that there are no nasty peaks or troughs and I would gladly use two Monza or Monaco cabs for HiFi. Of course, being a perfectionist,  @steviewould say they are not designed for that…

It is a shame that you are so far away as you could have borrowed mine. I am not gigging for a while as my guitarist had a heart attack last week. 

I should also add that I had a Monaco before but as I am having years and loosing muscle quit rapidly, I traded my Monaco with another basschatter for the Monza. 

Thanks for the response.  Very sorry to hear about your guitarist.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

I'm teetering .........  
How's the Monza vs the Monaco in the live setting?  
Any noticeable differences in terms of Bass frequencies, overall volume?  
Or anything else?  

Shame I didn't know you were looking, I was up in Cumbria a week ago. Could have brought my Monaco up or borrowed a Monza if Stevie has a demonstrator at the moment.

Edited by Phil Starr

5 hours ago, Pirellithecat said:

I'm teetering .........  
How's the Monza vs the Monaco in the live setting?  
Any noticeable differences in terms of Bass frequencies, overall volume?  
Or anything else?  

Not much if at all. It is a bit quieter on spec but it is plenty loud enough and will take whatever you through at it. I have played venues that needed less bass and others that needed more. I set my amp up fairly flat at the start and just tweak a little after sound check. I have never felt the need for another cabinet although I do sometimes think I would like a stack, I know one BCer has two but in pubs and clubs, it is more than enough.

The difference in bass response is hardly noticeable and as I have said before, some venues I have to trim the bass. It is all I need maybe I will change my mind when the IMOLA is released. That is a joke, as far as I know there is nothing called the IMOLA on the Horizon. Sorry to cause you trouble @stevie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I have been meaning to put my thoughts on a Monza in to words on these very pages, alas I have been weathering some persistent health obstacles.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

In response to @Paddy Morris's question, there are a surprising number of upright bass players using LFSys cabs. Some of them are on Basschat, although none is a prolific poster, and might chime in if they catch this thread. You'll find some comments from a couple of DB players in the Events section of Basschat (South East Bass Bash and Big Fat South-West Bass Bash).

Although LFSys cabs were designed specifically for bass guitar, I've discovered that they work very well with double bass, and DB players who have tried them have been enthusiastic. I agree that DB isn't easy to amplify. It's more critical than bass guitar, in my opinion, because not only is the frequency range wider (DB generates frequencies up to 9kHz) but the harmonic content is more complex. The amplification system also needs to be accurate because you have a ready reference for the original sound.

There are several reasons why LFSys cabs work with DB. First, they all use a high-end compression driver and horn to reproduce the mid and high frequencies that are critical to reproducing the double bass accurately. This arrangement also means that the sound from the cab remains consistent no matter where you are listening - there is no off-axis midrange suckout to colour your sound. The cabs have been designed to be transparent, with a frequency response tailored to be flat - so there are no response peaks to induce feedback and the sound remains even as you  move up and down the neck.

The other factor that helps with DB is that the low end response is shaped to prevent boominess or 'bloom'. It extends low but doesn't try to impress by fattening up your sound. It stays tight, controlled and natural - even at loud volumes.

All the upright bass players I have sold cabs to have chosen the Monza, which goes louder than your average DB player will ever need and has the benefit of being lightweight.

To @Pirellithecat's question, the Monaco and Monza sound the same in terms of tonality, bass extension and overall performance. The difference between the two is in sensitivity and maximum SPL, which is what you'd expect from the difference in size. @Chienmortbb has already mentioned this. Despite its size, the Monza will handle bass duties for most bands playing pubs and clubs. If you're not concerned about the extra weight and want a one-cab solution, the Monaco offers extra headroom.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 4

Looking forward to get mine soon, Stevie has been very helpful.

Im hoping just the one Monaco will be enough for my rock band playing pubs and clubs. 

The reviews sound very promising and exactly the tone I’m seeking 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Looking forward to get mine soon, Stevie has been very helpful.

Im hoping just the one Monaco will be enough for my rock band playing pubs and clubs. 

The reviews sound very promising and exactly the tone I’m seeking 

I had two Silverstones and never needed to use them both together, one would easily keep pace with a drummer and after a year of never using the second one I sold it on. If anything the Monaco is even more capable. It will handle any pub I've ever played in.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I had two Silverstones and never needed to use them both together, one would easily keep pace with a drummer and after a year of never using the second one I sold it on. If anything the Monaco is even more capable. It will handle any pub I've ever played in.

Need???

I use 2 112 cabs because I can.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Need???

I use 2 112 cabs because I can.

Like so many bassists I do the PA, I carry enough speakers  :)

Seriously though at the time at the technical level a single 12 was just about enough and two would do anything and that was the advice I was giving beginners on BC. I took my own advice and bought  2x112's but these speakers are special and it turned out that for my needs one speaker was all I ever needed. It was a real shame to have a great speaker doing nothing, after a year of not using it I realised it was a backup I'd never use and sold it on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Like so many bassists I do the PA, I carry enough speakers  :)

Seriously though at the time at the technical level a single 12 was just about enough and two would do anything and that was the advice I was giving beginners on BC. I took my own advice and bought  2x112's but these speakers are special and it turned out that for my needs one speaker was all I ever needed. It was a real shame to have a great speaker doing nothing, after a year of not using it I realised it was a backup I'd never use and sold it on.

Would you say the Monaco would outperform 2 x Ampeg SVT112AV cabs ?

Im hoping it gets me there as a single cab in a 5 piece rock band playing large to small pubs without going through the PA 

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Would you say the Monaco would outperform 2 x Ampeg SVT112AV cabs ?

It depends upon what you mean by outperform? It will sound different FOH unless you use an emulator or re-eq. IMO it will sound better but that is down to taste. On stage it will sound louder because of the way the horn is designed to give you a much clearer sound and more like the sound the audience gets. As loud?  That's more difficult to answer particularly as I've never used the Ampeg cabs. I can look them up later and give you an opinion based upon the technical information. To an extent it also depends upon your amp. It's a 600W continuous 8ohm cab but if your amp is 300W into 8 as so many are you won't be able to drive it flat out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

It depends upon what you mean by outperform? It will sound different FOH unless you use an emulator or re-eq. IMO it will sound better but that is down to taste. On stage it will sound louder because of the way the horn is designed to give you a much clearer sound and more like the sound the audience gets. As loud?  That's more difficult to answer particularly as I've never used the Ampeg cabs. I can look them up later and give you an opinion based upon the technical information. To an extent it also depends upon your amp. It's a 600W continuous 8ohm cab but if your amp is 300W into 8 as so many are you won't be able to drive it flat out.

It’s the EICH T900 amp I plan to use 

Posted (edited)

Ok full marks to Ampeg for giving good and accurate information on their cabs. I love that they say that sensitivity of 96db/W and 300W gives you 121db of SPL because that is exactly right. Barefaced for example claim 127db for their Big Baby with 95.5db/W sensitivity (according to Eminence who make the drive unit) and 450W handling which works out at 122db give or take a decimal point. So I know exactly how loud in practice 121db is because the two Bass Chat 12" designs @stevie and I designed were 121db speakers, again given a decimal point. I gigged the MK1 for at least two years and only needed the extra cab for outdoor gigs. 121db is about the same level as a drummer. With your amp and the Monaco you will have 98db/W and 600W and that adds up to 125db. To give you another comparison wit the same Eich amp you'll get 127db if you use both your Ampegs.

Figures in db are sometimes hard to understand. 1db is the smallest change that you'll notice. You'd bareley notice the difference between the Barefaced and one of your Ampegs or between the LFSys and the pair of your Ampegs. It's there but not very significant. 3 decibels are really the equivalent of turning up a notch, not a huge difference but noticeable by an audience member. A bit like going from 10 to 11 if you like. There's one proviso; the smoother a cabs frequency response the less 'shouty' it will be. The Monaco is the smoothest cab of the lot and maybe the smoothest bass cab available at the moment, some people like shouty and it is a good way of getting heard. Mark Bass make a lot of shouty cabs but I've no idea if the Ampeg is shouty.

Hope that helps. the short answer is that I do think one Monaco= 2x112 Ampegs unless you are thrashing the hell out of a pair already :)

image.png.f80b3ddcab12012f68733b0a369ff2b6.png

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3