Why become a member? ×

NGD Tele with B Bender

Owen

I have always fancied a B Bender. They are mind bendingly expensive. Then one came up on Gumtree. Those saved searches are handy. This is a UK made Shelton B Bender installed in a mid 90s Japanese Squier. Lots of fun :)

20240313_183942.jpg

20240313_183248.jpg

20240313_181620.jpg

20240313_181606.jpg

20240313_181551.jpg

20240313_181540.jpg

• Like 5

That’s a wonderfully simple take on the classic B Bender which seems to necessitate hollowing out the whole guitar. Nice score, now get those Clarence White licks practiced 😎

I will be happy to wobble about the inside of some chords. There will be no licking.

It is also going to go into my "everyday" tele and then I will flog this one.

Nope. It actually enables you to raise the B string by a whole tone. This version has a series of levers. One end is attached to a strap button mounted through the neck plate the other end of that is attached to the ball end of the B string. By pressing the neck down I can get both Country AND Western. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Johnny's a monster player. Love it.

I love watching stuff where I can clearly hear what is going on and understand what is going on, but still think "huh?".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What a clever little device, so much better than the original! Rather jealous, I’ve dabbled in pedal steel in the past but am yet to spend time with a b bender. Great find op. 

It is a joy. If I could play it effectively it would be even better!

At the moment it is being moved from the donor instrument to my "main" Tele. "Main"! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owen said:

It is a joy. If I could play it effectively it would be even better!

At the moment it is being moved from the donor instrument to my "main" Tele. "Main"! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Having a ‘main’ Tele is perfectly normal behaviour. 😂 I’ve got two Fenders and two Squiers and one of the Squiers is my ‘main’ one. Multiples of everything is key. Would love to hear how yours turns out 👍

I am also looking forward to hearing how it turns out. The tech has had it for a month so far :(

I will have a Japanese Squier pre-routed for a Shelton system for sale then. Not that anyone is ever going to find an uninstalled Shelton system anywhere. But with a normal neck plate on it you would never know it has been chambered!

• Like 1

This is very much a work in progress - but you did ask. And it is not featured in a massive way, because I am not a guitarist!

1st one in the track. 2nd one Solo'd guitar.

On 18/05/2024 at 19:18, meterman said:

Having a ‘main’ Tele is perfectly normal behaviour. 😂 I’ve got two Fenders and two Squiers and one of the Squiers is my ‘main’ one. Multiples of everything is key. Would love to hear how yours turns out 👍

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 21:25, Owen said:

Nope. It actually enables you to raise the B string by a whole tone. This version has a series of levers. One end is attached to a strap button mounted through the neck plate the other end of that is attached to the ball end of the B string. By pressing the neck down I can get both Country AND Western. 

Wow - you have both kinds 

Erm - I hate to point out to you that this isn’t “weedy toy bass with extra strings nailed on” chat 

I assume that you’re going to have some muted fun (wherein you see and co-suffer the hell that guitards inhabit) and then consign the toy to a bonfire? 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2024 at 23:32, Owen said:

This is very much a work in progress - but you did ask. And it is not featured in a massive way, because I am not a guitarist!

1st one in the track. 2nd one Solo'd guitar.

Nice understated playing, and the isolated tone in the 2nd one is good too, but if I didn’t know it was a Tele, I’d swear it was a different guitar. Neck pickup or middle position, or something else? 

• 3 weeks later...