Why become a member? ×

Monitors for moulded earplugs

I'm sure there's a topic out there somewhere, but I couldnt find it when I searched.
At some point I would like a set of ER custom mould earplugs. I would then (at another point a bit further down the line) like to be able to remove the filters and replace them with a set of monitors. Which brand of monitor/earphone do I need to use? It would be nice if these had a straight plug as well, so I could use them with my iPod and the ridiculously naff cable management system in two of my coats :) which won't accomodate a right angled plug.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='488501' date='May 15 2009, 08:57 AM']I'm sure there's a topic out there somewhere, but I couldnt find it when I searched.
At some point I would like a set of ER custom mould earplugs. I would then (at another point a bit further down the line) like to be able to remove the filters and replace them with a set of monitors. Which brand of monitor/earphone do I need to use? It would be nice if these had a straight plug as well, so I could use them with my iPod and the ridiculously naff cable management system in two of my coats :) which won't accomodate a right angled plug.[/quote]

Hullloo!

You'll be happy to hear that if you get in touch with Etymotic Research directly, you can buy a set of adaptors for their standard moulded plugs that allows their very own 'off the peg' in ear monitors to fit in your moulds.

However, in my experience, you may be better off getting a set that are properly attatched (encased) to the moulds, so they dont pop out whilst you are in mid performance.

There are also companies (like adcom services if they still exist) that can create moulds for your ears to fit monitors of your choice. (I have also seen they do ones that fit standard ear bud ear phones too.)

In the meantime.. try these.. the sound improvement on a set of standard Sony EarBuds was just brilliant!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slic-Sound-Earphone-Enhancements/dp/B000ELL2MU"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slic-Sound-Earphon...s/dp/B000ELL2MU[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='488558' date='May 15 2009, 09:47 AM']Hullloo!

You'll be happy to hear that if you get in touch with Etymotic Research directly, you can buy a set of adaptors for their standard moulded plugs that allows their very own 'off the peg' in ear monitors to fit in your moulds.

However, in my experience, you may be better off getting a set that are properly attatched (encased) to the moulds, so they dont pop out whilst you are in mid performance.

There are also companies (like adcom services if they still exist) that can create moulds for your ears to fit monitors of your choice. (I have also seen they do ones that fit standard ear bud ear phones too.)

In the meantime.. try these.. the sound improvement on a set of standard Sony EarBuds was just brilliant!

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slic-Sound-Earphone-Enhancements/dp/B000ELL2MU"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slic-Sound-Earphon...s/dp/B000ELL2MU[/url][/quote]

Cheers Dood.
I ordered the custom moulded ER-15s today so will looking into getting the adaptor.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='489612' date='May 16 2009, 10:29 AM']I use the ER15s with the matching Sennheiser phones.

BLOODY expensive but very, very good.

Never had a problem with them coming out, I have to say.[/quote]

Ok, cool! Thats good news What Sennheiser 'phones do you use? I'm interested!

I thought I'd just clarify that I meant the earphone falling out the mould, not the mould out of the ear lol!

Oh.. your signature pic.. can't help thinking it's a bit innappropriate for a forum. Fancy changing it mate?

I've been using the Etymotic ER4p's without the in-ear moulds, they sound great and provide 70-80db of attenuation.

The moulds are supposed to provide a better seal. The ER's push right into the ear canal, there's no way they are going to fall out.

Pricey, but very good.