Why become a member? ×

Amp or no amp...?

uk_lefty

I’d love to try IEMs out. But for my gigs, which are mostly 3 or 4 band bills with sound check only for the headliner, and line check for the rest through whatever provided back line is there I can’t see it being doable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonK said:

...as long as the sound engineer knows what they are doing IEMs are great. If they don't - as is the case for 90% of the times I play - an amp is still necessary (and as I said above I always bring one just in case). I also have to admit I like the look of my stage rig... it makes me smile.

When I started, we had no engineer and I was just taking a line from the headphone out on the mixer for vocals. At that point I was still using backline and it was mainly to give me clearer vocals (we rarely had any monitors, relying on the main PA spill). I agree that the IEM sound is only as good as your monitor mix, which relies on the competence of the person doing the sound.

And if we accept that what we do is performance, then the look of the rig plays a part in that. 😃

• Like 2