Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

I helped do the sound (A2) at a two day Ska festival some years ago. Now my musical taste is broad although Contry and Weston and most current "urban" music are  nails on a chalkboard. Anyway back to the Ska Fest.

Eight bands over two days all but one did Monkey Man, some very badly and to this day the song drives me crazy. The only band that did not and really stick to the narrow gamut of Ska Classics was a band that did Ska versions of Pink Floyd songs and they were brilliant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Hate is a strong word for something as simple as a song. I'll happily play most things if my bands want to play them and the audience want to hear them However there are a few songs i just can't bring myself to because of irrational lyrics. If you write a song called Ironic then there should be some examples of irony rather than just misfortune in the song. Carly Simon you can't write a song about someone and then call them out for recognising that you are pointing a great big finger at them. They may well be vain but 'probably thinking the song is about them' isn't the thing that makes them vain.

Carly Simon should have called her song "Ironic", then Alanis Morissette would have had to think of a different title for hers, like "Oh bollocks".

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Carly Simon should have called her song "Ironic", then Alanis Morissette would have had to think of a different title for hers, like "Oh bollocks".

On the plus side, I did like to play bass on Ironic when I was in a band with a female singer. 

On 15/09/2024 at 11:24, tauzero said:

I'm currently at a friend's wedding reception and the happy couple were outside being photographed when the heavens opened. On the grounds that I'd not long ago said that it raining on your wedding day wasn't ironic, I think rain on their wedding day was probably ironic.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I'm currently at a friend's wedding reception and the happy couple were outside being photographed when the heavens opened. On the grounds that I'd not long ago said that it raining on your wedding day wasn't ironic, I think rain on their wedding day was probably ironic.

Excellent work.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it ,but if anything by Robbie Williams, will young or James Arthur comes on I have to switch channel, and a rather irritating song came on the radio today that I wouldn’t want to hear again called ,You Can Call Me Al 😬

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I wouldn’t want to hear again called ,You Can Call Me Al 😬

Oh god, we tried to have that one as a song, and it didn't work, managed to bin it. However, the guitarist keeps wanting to bring it back. It has to be one of the most boring songs in existence to play, and also listen to it.

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

Yeah, bass player on that, what a tosser. Amateur!

Well, yes, the bass line is two groups of 3 notes all the way through in a never ending durge, followed by a break that on the record is the same pattern on three strings going down, then the recording is played backwards to make it go up, which makes it hard to play as it was never played in the first place.

In fact if you go and look on any online tutorial on the song, you will find that they spend 90% of the tutorial showing you how to play the 6 second bass solo and about 20 seconds playing the other 10 minutes of the song.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 20:39, TheGreek said:

Relating to my thread about "Stairway to Heaven on bass" - I sent the link to a guitarist friend who replied "aren't you sick to death of that song?". 

Well TBH, yes....but there are other songs which I could quite happily never listen to again.

Firstly, "Hey Joe" - the Hendrix version, the full length version of Layla, including the 4 hour piano solo - by Eric Clapton and (for now) "A Bat out of hell" - actually anything on that whole album - by Meatloaf. 

IMO the world would be a much better place if none of these were ever played again.

Your turn...

Yep "Bat Out Of Hell" and "I Would Do Anything" have me reaching for the off switch.

Also anything by Status Quo, Bruce Springsteen, and Guns'n'Roses.

Oh, and thanks whoever mentioned "Come On Eileen" - that's now going round in my head!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, prowla said:

Yep "Bat Out Of Hell"…reaching for the off switch.

9 hours ago, prowla said:

Also anything by Status Quo

Likewise. An overblown, overlong piece of schlock opera, with the nastiest, wasp in a jam jar guitar tone ever (what was Todd Rundgren thinking?).

I’ve also fallen out of love with the Quo recently, no particular song, although Just Supposin’ grinds my gears; ‘runny nosing’ WTF?

The skip function on the Planet Rock app is a blessing.

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

anything by Springsteen especially Born in the USA

I have never understood the attraction of Springsteen. I find that kind of music quite tedious. I realise it takes all sorts of tastes, but the big thing about Springsteen is that his live shows give "great value for money" by going on for 4 hours or something like that. I couldn't think of anything worse. Bands tend to forget that people have been standing for a good few hours longer than their set. Even when I was young I hated standing for a long time. Now we never book standing tickets. I usually end up being behind some tall bugger anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2024 at 23:29, prowla said:

Yep "Bat Out Of Hell" and "I Would Do Anything" have me reaching for the off switch.

Also anything by Status Quo, Bruce Springsteen, and Guns'n'Roses.

Oh, and thanks whoever mentioned "Come On Eileen" - that's now going round in my head!

I could have written this word for word...

• Like 1