Why become a member? ×

Flavour of (last) Month

On 02/04/2024 at 18:09, SamPlaysBass said:

Epifani stuff comes up every now and then and for relatively little money. Super high quality and great sounding, even after a few years. Time to cash in on the bargains.

Haha, I think it's quite funny that new-school cabs are lighter than old school heads and by quite a margin. My Ampeg SVT CL weighs about the same as my Fender Neo 8x10 and that's massive!

I picked up a epifani 2 x12 a couple of days ago £200.00 seems good 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, patrikmarky said:

I picked up a epifani 2 x12 a couple of days ago £200.00 seems good 

That sounds like an amazing bargain. I'd have taken that over my Eden cab at £170.

Edited by ardi100
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2024 at 18:09, SamPlaysBass said:

Epifani stuff comes up every now and then and for relatively little money. Super high quality and great sounding, even after a few years. Time to cash in on the bargains.

Haha, I think it's quite funny that new-school cabs are lighter than old school heads and by quite a margin. My Ampeg SVT CL weighs about the same as my Fender Neo 8x10 and that's massive!

Laney weighs 77lbs and was fkn unwieldy when I picked it up as NOS in its box at laney hq in Halesowen. Pick up only. I reckon the footswitch must weigh about another 10lbs !!

Apparently laney also had a load of ex backline n810s and nx810s going cheap too. As I minicabbed back to Brum and used an excellent alloy parcel truck I passed on those. N410 ought to be a bit cheaper if someone stuck in an offer. 

Was worried that national coach driver at Digbeth coach station might refuse to load box (duct taped to said screwfix parcel truck. Cab not a problem home 1 mile from Victoria coach station luckily not p'ing down like it was in Halesowen

Edited by JottoSW1
Digression about weather in Brum

That's the one!

It went missing for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden turned up unannounced with no card or anything. Then the seller accused me of attempting to defraud him as I had been asking for a refund. He didn't believe me that it had been delivered that day and accused me of attempting fraud. I just happened to check the tracking information that had been empty and it showed as delivered that day. He has been silent since!

The cab is great. I've only had it in a rehearsal room so far. We have an outdoor gig in a couple of weeks but backline is supplied so I may not be able to use it then.

• Like 1

Laney just isn't very sexy for some reason......but whenever I've played through one in rehearsal rooms, or when supplied as backline at a gig, I've always been impressed by how much clean volume they put out. 

I'm mostly using my Markbass combo these days and still own GK heads and Barefaced cabs but would have no problem swapping them for a Laney combo if all my sexier gear got nicked at some point in the future.

15 minutes ago, la bam said:

I love Laney stuff. Some of the best tones I've ever had have been from laney gear. Great customer service too. 

As I recall you've had a few Nexus Cabs, a Nexus tube amp plus more ?

5 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

As I recall you've had a few Nexus Cabs, a Nexus tube amp plus more ?

Yes, nexus tube, nexus nx410, nexus 1x15, n410, and an old cheap 4x10 which was probably the best of the lot - but was waaaay to heavy and to wide to fot through doorways or carry. Great cab though :)

16 hours ago, la bam said:

Yes, nexus tube, nexus nx410, nexus 1x15, n410, and an old cheap 4x10 which was probably the best of the lot - but was waaaay to heavy and to wide to fot through doorways or carry. Great cab though :)

I hear you regarding weight and size. Misguidedly carted an Ashdown mag410 up my 66 steps in a hurry (only) once.

As for parcel truck adventures when I picked up the boxed nexus tube amp at laney.....

Definitely an approach I favour. 

I love a bass as much as the next person. 

Unfortunately,  I tend to view amps as a tool for a job,  and that makes it difficult to justify splashing the cash on the Emperor's New Clothes in the amplification world. 

Result- an old 4u rack containing a Korg DTR1000, an ancient Ampeg SVP-PRO and a Markbass Club Series S450.

Does a pristine clean, A warm clean and all the way to flat out dirty.

Cab is a Schroeder 21012L. It'll take 1000w @ 4 Ohms. Weighs a smidge over 40lb.

Last time anyone commented on it, they said "Looks old..."

Maybe not ultra-modern, but it blew him across the room readily enough. 

• Like 1