Why become a member? ×

Help setting up a rig with Ashdown CTM 100

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hope it's ok to jump on this thread for similar advice. I have just purchased an 'Ashdown stack'. CTM 300 valve head, sat on a 4ohm 600w 2x10 top cab which is sat on a 8ohm 800w 2x15 bottom cab. 

I am assuming I connect these in series from the 2 or possibly the 4 ohm speakon output.

From what I'm reading on these threads this seems an odd set up to have been purposely purchased as a 'stack' option. Any comments wecome.

If you daisy chain/parallel  or those cabs, you get approx 2.7 ohms, in between the 2 and 4 ohm outputs. Ashdown will probably be best to ask but I would say either the 2 of 4 ohm outputs. The real issue is that the 2x10 will get more of the output and you will not be ablet to get a good balance between the two, any sensitivity differences might improve or degrade the output disparity.

On 13/04/2024 at 21:38, BassmanPaul said:

For a 100W amp 1/4" Phone jacks will work fine.

Not true. Many are rated at 500mA or below and that equates to 2 watts. You have to assume that most reputable manufacturers like Ashdown choose their sockets carefully but many speaker cables will have shite plugs and whatever you do, do not  use a guitar/bass lead.

The standard Neutrik NP2X is rated thus:

Rated current per contact - depends on mating connector A

Rated voltage < 50 V

So because of the variation in sockets, Neutrik will not specify the current on the NP2X. The locking jacks are rated at 10 Amps but when I asked someone at Neutrik they said that the NP2X is rated at 5 amps max. That is 200 watts at 8 ohms or 100 watts at 4 ohms.

• Like 1