Why become a member? ×

ESP Ltd B-254

Lew-Bass

Wow. Was round at a friends and his band's bassist left his B-254 there, so even though it was RH I picked it up and straight away I loved it.

It has that lovely gurgly, almost clanky yet not actually clanky (which is a tone I hate) tone, and the best action I've ever played (compared to basses triple its price). The U-shaped neck was also brilliant as the narrow, gloss neck was very fast. The p'ups were extremely comfortable to play and I think I went the fastest I've ever played on the bottom string, even though it was essentially the top string as I was playing it upside-down. For the first time I've felt more comfortable playing on the neck than I have on the bridge p'up, because the action is perfectly low whereas on others it's been awkward and very clanky.

Apparently it's the factory set-up aswell which is impressive. I didn't have a fiddle with the 5-band eq(?) as I didn't want to mess up the bassist's sound, nor did it need any tweaking in all honesty, the slap tone was immense. The price is also impressive at nigh on £300, but I fear that they don't do a LH version :'(, badly badly GASsing now, does anyone know if they do? Also, what are peoples opinion on this bass, has the guy just got lucky with this brilliant one?

Thanks