Why become a member? ×

Cut down combo for a cab?

ardi100

I've done exactly as the OP has mentioned with a combo. It's an easy job to recover the top once the amp section is removed with a bit of black carpet from an autoshop, and you can buy pre-made cases to take the amp head. The big benefit is you can keep your amp indoors and warm and stick your cab in the garage without worrying too much, plus it's all easier to carry.

From the eBay listing it looks like the previous owner has lopped the entire top off the cab to serve as an enclosure for the combo head though, would need a bit more work than your usual combo to cab adaption.

7 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

From the eBay listing it looks like the previous owner has lopped the entire top off the cab to serve as an enclosure for the combo head though, would need a bit more work than your usual combo to cab adaption.

Not a great picture of it but I don't think they have. The internals of the head section is just HDF/MDF if memory serves me correctly with an alminium type barrier tape over it in the top and the cover material (Tolex in this case) wrapped over. It would be a real pain to do it any other way as you have fixings and the speaker cable getting in the way.