Why become a member? ×

The final devaluation of music ? Learn about Suno,Udio and exactly what A.I. is up to - scary stuff.........

Never mind AI how about..the spectre of "young person strumming guitar and thinking there Joni Mitchell/ Dylan etc ". If I have to listen to anymore whiney droney dirge on Clive Andersons Saturday night radio show...  All Im hearing is what I used to warble on a beat up ole Epihone acoustic when I was a kid and I know I have not an ounce of song writing talent. 

30 minutes ago, Jay2U said:

Eventually AI will be brought to justice by (AI) copyright holders. 😂

It wouldn't take long for a super computer to write every single permutation of music. 

I suspect if that happened the copyright laws would be adjusted. Maybe they won't apply to computer generated music as manufacturers and operators of lathes do not get the patents of the items designed and made with them. 

Edited by TimR

AI can't do any worse than many people  have been doing since around 1995. The big name pop and rap stars that've dominated the airwaves this century have set the bar very low. What with Autotone, backing tracks made using Pro Tools, Logic Pro etc AI is only a tiny step further down the line towards the automation of music. If AI also means news about Taylor Swift having a cold sore etc will no longer be a thing then bring it on

14 hours ago, Jonesy said:

How long do you think it'll be until you're down the dog & duck on a Friday night and your setlist includes songs written by AI that have charted and been hits? 15-20 years? Sooner?

If you listen to Rick Beato probably next week

I did see something earlier (going to kick myself for not saving it) that suggested that AI image generators are being "ruined" because there's now so much AI-generated imagery out there that AI is essentially learning from its own twelve-fingered hamfisted efforts.

Not sure if the same will happen to music but either way, even if it didn't happen for long, it's still interesting, and I imagine kind of like when you set a bunch of Furbies taking to reach other.

6 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I did see something earlier (going to kick myself for not saving it) that suggested that AI image generators are being "ruined" because there's now so much AI-generated imagery out there that AI is essentially learning from its own twelve-fingered hamfisted efforts.

Not sure if the same will happen to music but either way, even if it didn't happen for long, it's still interesting, and I imagine kind of like when you set a bunch of Furbies taking to reach other.

One might suggest that pop will eat itself.

• Haha 1

I've been saying for a while now that this all could (hopefully) have the opposite effect. 

Social media, internet, streaming etc will become so overrun and over saturated with AI so quickly that it will essentially destroy itself because it will be almost impossible to find genuine original content. 

This would force people back to the "real world" if they want to experience anything of any substance. Which could in turn lead to a massive increase in the demand for live music, live venues and analogue media. We're already starting to see this with the increased popularity of vinyl records. 

Maybe a best case scenario. But a boy can dream. 

• Like 2

Let me summon my inner grumpy old man. Subjectively I think 95% of the world has terrible, terrible musical taste. Otherwise autotuned, musically completely empty crap by some "Li'l Facetattoo" would not be popular, but it is. Or anything done by the likes of Kanye West, where I have been struggling for years to understand WHY? I simply could not feel an ounce of musicality, talent, or any positive factor at all when trying my best to understand this "music"...

So yeah, AI music will be written for these people, and it might become popular, but will this matter to the rest of us? Will it change anything that the tasteless boring crap they consume is not done by people any more? Pop overlords will realise AI is simply cheaper than a narcissistic idiot who might become a public hitler fan one day.

People who can't stand this type of dull nothingmusic will continue to look for proper, exciting music created by other people.

The same rate of people will listen to good music and crap music. And I simply don't think GOOD music will be taken over by AI... and looking at the current state of pop music, I don't even mind if AI eats it all up. Maybe those "musicians' will have to learn not to be boring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

This would force people back to the "real world" if they want to experience anything of any substance

The real world where ony people with great song writing talent would be allowed to produce anything? As in back in the day where you went to a old school producer or publisher who would tell you in no unceratin terms how crap your stuff really is. Happened to me many moons ago, it was the norm.  "Dont phone us lads we'll phone you, and thanks for coming in"   Well lets hope so, bring it on, it cant come sooner.

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

We need to lobby politicians to ensure that AI can never access the Jools Holland archives...

But surely protracted boogie-woogie piano improves any song in any genre?

• Haha 3

On 23/05/2024 at 10:37, Stub Mandrel said:

songs a little more obscure

I asked for a covers set for a funk band influenced by early 80s goth - this would be a surprisingly interesting one!

Set List

"Let's Dance" - David Bowie

Duration: 4:08

This classic track has a danceable groove and Bowie's distinctive style, making it a perfect opener.

"She Sells Sanctuary" - The Cult

Duration: 4:23

This song’s driving beat and ethereal guitar work align well with both funk and goth influences.

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

Duration: 4:26

While primarily a funk song, its dark, superstitious themes give it a subtle goth edge.

"Bela Lugosi's Dead" - Bauhaus

Duration: 9:36

An iconic goth track with a minimalist, hypnotic groove. Perfect for a darker, extended jam session.

"White Lines" - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Duration: 7:25

Funky and rhythmic, with a darker, cautionary lyrical theme that complements the goth vibe.

"Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode

Duration: 4:56

A synth-heavy track with a strong beat and dark, introspective lyrics.

"Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)" - Parliament

Duration: 5:48

Pure funk energy with a darker edge, ensuring the set maintains a strong groove.

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division

Duration: 3:27

A melancholic yet rhythmic track that bridges the gap between funk and goth influences perfectly.

38 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I asked for a covers set for a funk band influenced by early 80s goth - this would be a surprisingly interesting one!

A perfect example of why AI is not intelligent at all. It has no concept of what you actually asked for.

What it is good for is to work as a very good search engine. The results of which can then be intelligently reworked by a human being. 

I certainly don't see these AI tools as being able to produce something without a lot of very careful instruction and all it will return will be a bunch of stuff that it's copied from somewhere and rearranged. 

1 hour ago, diskwave said:

The real world where ony people with great song writing talent would be allowed to produce anything? As in back in the day where you went to a old school producer or publisher who would tell you in no unceratin terms how crap your stuff really is. Happened to me many moons ago, it was the norm.  "Dont phone us lads we'll phone you, and thanks for coming in"   Well lets hope so, bring it on, it cant come sooner.

The real world where people who write the stuff played in Tesco get produced, like now? Who is to be the arbiter of what is great?

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

But surely protracted boogie-woogie piano improves any song in any genre?

It's an eternal regret that John Denver never got to be accompanied by Jools on "Annie's Song".

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I blame Schubert :( ...

Very nice. Now if only someone could play variations of this over every song from Metallica via Pink and Stormzy the world would be a better place.

Edited by tegs07

Here's what appears to be an AI generated discussion of piano styles. Broadly accurate it claims jazz piano is the easiest style to learn and that slong with Elton John, Roger Waters is one of the foremost rock and pop pianists. (Exemplified by the inaudible piano on Julia Dreams (sic).)

https://enthu.com/blog/piano/types-of-piano-music/

Edited by Stub Mandrel

On 10/05/2024 at 14:51, NHM said:

We will need to reappraise the state of play when the consensus is that AI can make better music than humans can, which in itself might well be a wonder to behold.

That's what I'm worried about.

Will I be still be a hater of AI music and lover all things human, when the next Beatles album is all AI generated and is the best thing they ever did(didn't do).

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

Just a reminder to be wary about using 'AI' as a generic term.

There are lots of AI's for different things, and even the ones that do the same thing can give wildly different results.

1 hour ago, gjones said:

That's what I'm worried about.

Will I be still be a hater of AI music and lover all things human, when the next Beatles album is all AI generated and is the best thing they ever did(didn't do).

Isn't that potentially quite exciting though? Partly, (or perhaps mostly) music is there to entertain, people don't really care about how it was made, and why should they? If AI can entertain people better than humans then perhaps that's a good thing in some ways?

People who enjoy making music can still entertain themselves by doing that, and I expect there will always be people that value seeing good musicians playing live. But would it really matter if AI perfectly creates, say, music for me personally when I go for a run (linked to my listening habits, age, likes, blood pressure, heart rate, the weather etc). It could basically takes music theory and pre-existing music and re-interpret it and personalise it for the listener for their enjoyment.

Most pop music is made by committee anyway and follows quite specific music theory, borrows ideas, re-interprets, re-packages, it's not really a personal human to human connection - just presents itself as that.

I went clubbing a lot in the late 90s at techno nights, the whole concept seemed to be that the music was 'faceless' and sounded like something un-earthly and futuristic - while also somehow being something that somehow has punk influence and harks back to being tribal. It was all about people dancing together. and people didn't really care who made the music, or how it was made, or the technical musicianship needed. In some ways, I think that's quite a pure form of musical enjoyment, rather than massaging the ego of someone who's spent 1000's of hours learning to play notes quickly to impress people that don't have the same skill. Perhaps AI is the logical extension of that, people enjoy the music - not the effort that went into it.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1