Why become a member? ×

Sushibox Finally with bass in mind v2

JPJ

Posted (edited)

So, first impressions are everything right?

Well in that case I’m in love 😍

Plugged the Finally in tonight between my bass and my EBS Stanley Clarke preamp. Instant warmth, bounce, girth whatever you call playing through a tube. This thing can be super clean, with that natural sounding valve compression thing going on, or as dirty as I think I’d ever need (in fact way dirtier than I’d ever need). Run with the gain at about 9 o’clock and the level at about 2 o’clock and it just sings. Harmonics ring out loud and clear, dig in a there is a little bit of overdrive, play normally and its just your bass but ‘more’. Being able to switch between dry and wet makes comparisons easy, and for some reason the Stanley Clarke seems to like having this in front as the eq just seems so much warmer. Now bearing in mind that I have had a Micro Thumpinator on my board for years in the last position in my chain before my amp, I’m also surprised by how much the hpf contributes (bear in mind I am testing this at bedroom levels via my TC BG250 208 combo).

Construction is rock solid, the aluminium housing is beautifully finished in a metal flake silver finish and the valve is glowing with a nice purple glow. Switches feel reassuringly solid, and it’s obvious that the unit is built with quality components as the gain and level controls have a lovely expensive feeling of stiffness about them. Also, Nathan obviously realises that we’re all going to stick Velcro on the bottom so he hasn’t bothered with the little stick-on rubber feet. 

I will have a bit more play about with this before I settle on a position on my board but given that I double on EUB and fretless with one of my bands, this is most likely going to end up at the front of my electric bass signal chain, after my wireless receiver and before the Stanley Clarke. This might mean relegating the Micro Thumpinator (always on with no adjustable controls) to the underside of my Pedaltrain Metro board (something I’ve been contemplating for sometime). 

Conclusion: After years of searching, I think I might have finally discovered my ‘secret sauce’ pedal 😎

IMG_8406.jpeg

IMG_8407.jpeg

Edited by JPJ
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Conclusion: After years of searching, I think I might have finally discovered my ‘secret sauce’ pedal 😎

that's great! 

Question, have you found it at the end of the chain, you know, and finally...  ?

53 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

that's great! 

Question, have you found it at the end of the chain, you know, and finally...  ?

Not yet, I’ll be experimenting this week. I’ll be trying it after the Stanley Clarke and seeing what the EUB sounds like through it. 

On 09/06/2024 at 11:24, JPJ said:

No updates since 3rd June, getting concerned now that it’s lost in China 😤

Maybe they were reverse engineering it for a DemonFX clone.

• Haha 1

Another happy owner of a finally v2, although I have the non bass in mind version that shipped with the 12AX7, I've tried out an AU7 and currently have a 12AT7 in it which is my favourite so far.  I also bought an underground accelerator at the same time and have a "More" on the way so definitely a convert to the Sushibox pedals.

The way this has made me enjoy my bass sound more is incredible, somehow there's more clarity and warmth at the same time, I can definitely recommend them, and seeing how Nathan interacts on talkbass and his attention to detail and desire to continually refine and improve everything really sets him apart from most manufacturers.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2024 at 22:05, LukeFRC said:

that's great! 

So, after an evening of extensive testing I’ve settled on this going at the front of my board, driving my EBS Stanley Clarke for bass guitar. The EBS already has a great DI out, and I’m happy with my EUB tone. So this is a preamp in front of a preamp and it just adds the thing I felt I was missing, particularly from my fretless tone. 
At the same time I’ve decided to simplify my board by removing the Plethora X3. It’s a great bit of kit but it doesn’t get used with either band so I’m lugging it around for nothing. Stand-by for the updated board pictures to follow 😎

• Like 1

As promised, updated board pic. Been doing a little recording work tonight, and the Fender Tony Franklin P was just singing 😍

IMG_8429.jpeg

• Like 2

So left home alone, and with a gig tomorrow night, I pulled the gig rig in tonight and fired everything up. And then I had a thought, maybe I should try the Finally at the end of my board as intended and guess what, yes I liked it. In fact, I really liked it, so out came the the wiring kit and I rewired my board for a second time this week. So this is the current state and what I hope is the final state. I’m really happy with how this is sounding across fretted, fretless, and EUB. 

IMG_8433.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JPJ said:

So left home alone, and with a gig tomorrow night, I pulled the gig rig in tonight and fired everything up. And then I had a thought, maybe I should try the Finally at the end of my board as intended and guess what, yes I liked it. In fact, I really liked it, so out came the the wiring kit and I rewired my board for a second time this week. So this is the current state and what I hope is the final state. I’m really happy with how this is sounding across fretted, fretless, and EUB. 

IMG_8433.jpeg

Finally! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2