Why become a member? ×

Prose (Paul Rose) Custom build P Bass/Stingray 5 Hybrid Final reduction £795! Sale/Trade
£975
Essex/Herts Borders

Posted (edited)

IMG_5885.thumb.JPG.f6c5b597a0a8dbdddcdc0a90a7ed2ab2.JPGHi Folks,

Final Price Drop now £795!  The 55-60 has sadly left the stable! Therefore currently I don't need to sell this and after playing it again and reading the provenance clearly this is impossible to replace at anything near this price! So I'll run it a few more weeks and if not sold I'll withdraw it.

Unusual and unique custom build. Specs: Mahogany P shaped body with Flamed maple top, USA Mk1 Bart's, Aguilar OPB 2 18v Pre, USA Hipshot bridge, Lakland JO5 rosewood board 35' neck.

Had this around 7 years or so, absolute dogs whatsits! However mounting veterinary costs dictate I should sell yet another prized Bass.

Excellent condition for the age no noticeable dings or knocks, neck is mint! Sound wise it goes from very warm and deep to a modern snappy jazzy zizz! Brilliant low B goes without saying!

Cash is king, but willing to trade with a nice, but lesser value 5 or 6 string Bass plus cash? Local delivery or meet preferred, could courier at buyers cost/arrangement?

Gaucho

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

IMG_5698.JPG

Edited by Gaucho 5
Main image as advised +Text
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

A bit of background on this bass can be found in the thread below. It really is a lovely thing. GLWTS.

Hi Dave,

I was looking for those threads! I nearly took this off you myself, however it was another owner or two later that it became mine! I believe the last work done was Martin at the Gallery again with a slight reprofile to the back of the body.

I've only given it it a little fettle here and there and a set up to my taste, probably seven years ago now so apart from strings it remains as I got it and bloody fine thing it is! Still if my 55-60 goes I'll keep it.....or vice versa lol!

Gaucho

• Like 1

• Gaucho 5 changed the title to Prose (Paul Rose) Custom build P Bass/Stingray 5 Hybrid Now £850!
On 23/05/2024 at 13:06, Gaucho 5 said:

Hi Dave,

I was looking for those threads! I nearly took this off you myself, however it was another owner or two later that it became mine! I believe the last work done was Martin at the Gallery again with a slight reprofile to the back of the body.

I've only given it it a little fettle here and there and a set up to my taste, probably seven years ago now so apart from strings it remains as I got it and bloody fine thing it is! Still if my 55-60 goes I'll keep it.....or vice versa lol!

Gaucho

Yes, Martin also reshaped the slab body with a 'belly' cut, the top forearm edge rolled off, and carving the back of the body near the neck joint, which must have knocked at least a pound off the overall weight! It's a lovely thing. GLWTS.

Edited by lowregisterhead
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Dave,

Didn't know it started life with a slab body! I knew the contour was scooped by Martin, for you I think?     

Looks almost Jazz like at the back to my eyes and balances lovely on the shoulder, so a very worthwhile improvement methinks!

Gaucho

Edited by Gaucho 5
  • Like 1

• Gaucho 5 changed the title to Prose (Paul Rose) Custom build P Bass/Stingray 5 Hybrid Final reduction £795!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gaucho 5 changed the title to Prose (Paul Rose) Custom build P Bass/Stingray 5 Hybrid Final reduction £795! Sale/Trade

Maybe not in its current form, however it did start life with a P shaped slab body.

To my eyes front ways the horns make it more P than Jazz. The later scoping of the back lends the rear to appear more Jazz than P! Either way it is what it is and it is a very fine instrument.

Funny you should say that as albeit there are a multitude of tones this can produce the one that sticks out is the Gary Tibbs WAL sound, absolutely nails it IMO! Nothing to do with the shape though😁

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2024 at 18:02, oldslapper said:

Wow, I’m pretty sure I owned this +10 years or so ago. The neck in particular is wonderful. 
GLWTS

Good Grief! I thought this bass looked familiar. It may even have been you I sold it to. :hi:

I bought it new from Paul in 2008, my first-ever 5-string. I used it in Bang To Rights, the very earliest incarnation of covers band The Junkyard Dogs who I still play with (we have six gigs in three weeks this month, which is an all-time record for us :D), did my first-ever recording session on it, all sorts of stuff.

After nearly 16 years I can't really tell whether it will have changed much, but back then it had absolutely majestic tone ... a real presence.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 19:03, Gaucho 5 said:

Maybe not in its current form, however it did start life with a P shaped slab body.

To my eyes front ways the horns make it more P than Jazz. The later scoping of the back lends the rear to appear more Jazz than P! Either way it is what it is and it is a very fine instrument.

This is what it looked like when new:

DSCF2814.thumb.JPG.54cf4fc8aa0f882f6968595547371822.JPG

DSCF2835.thumb.JPG.8f34db44f2e208658a1c1c3e53732634.JPG

• Like 1

On 23/05/2024 at 09:39, lowregisterhead said:

A bit of background on this bass can be found in the thread below. It really is a lovely thing. GLWTS.

Ha! Onbly just read this for the first time.

So what does it weigh in its current form?

• Like 1

Blimey even more history unfolds😄 As Dave mentioned the slab body/ back should have lightened it somewhat? I'll weight it later and post the result. Additionally the bridge has changed (USA Hipshot), the pre amp (Aguilar) and the neck albeit another Lakland 35'  (JO5) with rosewood fingerboard. The original neck developed an issue (unusual for a Lakland) somewhere along the way and was replaced by another brand new one shipped in from the states.

As mentioned if the 55-60 goes I'll be very happy to keep it, but needs must😪