Why become a member? ×

So we had a request ...

4 minutes ago, TimR said:

Brown Sugar was written in 1960s. It's nearly 60 years old. It's a bit like expecting me to have been listening to songs recorded in the 1920s when I was a teenager. 

What's wrong with that? I listened to a lot of songs recorded in the 1920s when I was a teenager. Teenagers now are listening to songs recorded in the 1920s.

Yep. Brown Sugar is truly shocking. This more modern offering from N Minaj is so much more socially acceptable:

And I ain't hit that note but f*** you stupid hoe, just f*** you stupid hoe
I said f*** a stupid hoe, just f*** a stupid hoe

12 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Yep. Brown Sugar is truly shocking. This more modern offering from N Minaj is so much more socially acceptable:

And I ain't hit that note but f*** you stupid hoe, just f*** you stupid hoe

There have always been s*** songs with s*** lyrics. This particular one - or something similar - gets wheeled out time and time again as an example of how bad/sordid/offensive (delete as applicable) modern music is, or strangely, in defense of older songs that were once totally acceptable but now seem a bit iffy.

Regardless of your opinions of Brown Sugar, quoting a random contemporary lyric doesn't really justify or apologise for it. In years to come, will society look back at Nicki Minaj's lyrics and collectively shake it's head in a "what were we thinking?!" haze? Possibly. Maybe it'll just be seen as the meaningless rhythmic word salad that it is. There's nothing behind it. 

Brown Sugar is powerful, however you view it.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

There have always been s*** songs with s*** lyrics. This particular one - or something similar - gets wheeled out time and time again as an example of how bad/sordid/offensive (delete as applicable) modern music is, or strangely, in defense of older songs that were once totally acceptable but now seem a bit iffy.

Regardless of your opinions of Brown Sugar, quoting a random contemporary lyric doesn't really justify or apologise for it. In years to come, will society look back at Nicki Minaj's lyrics and collectively shake it's head in a "what were we thinking?!" haze? Possibly. Maybe it'll just be seen as the meaningless rhythmic word salad that it is. There's nothing behind it. 

I guess it depends whether the lyrics are viewed as a condemnation or celebration. Brown Sugar and Strange Fruit both had a major impact on me and lead to more research and learning when I was a teenager.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I doubt that they were talking to fans of Jazz, Blues, Country, Classic Rock, Classical, Opera etc 

I would expect a fan of classic rock to be in their 50s or 60s.

Jazz in their late 60s unless they're musicians.

Classic and Opera wouldn't figure on that list would it. It would be well down the left hand side. 

Just now, tegs07 said:

I guess it depends whether the lyrics are viewed as a condemnation or celebration. Brown Sugar and Strange Fruit both had a major impact on me and lead to more research and learning when I was a teenager.

QED

Just now, TimR said:

I would expect a fan of classic rock to be in their 50s or 60s.

Jazz in their late 60s unless they're musicians.

Classic and Opera wouldn't figure on that list would it. It would be well down the left hand side. 

I would hope people still get the same sense of excitement about music that I did as a teenager. I learned about the  Doors via Echo and the Bunnymen. From the Doors I listened to lots of 60s music leading to a love of the blues and country. 

18 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I would hope people still get the same sense of excitement about music that I did as a teenager. I learned about the  Doors via Echo and the Bunnymen. From the Doors I listened to lots of 60s music leading to a love of the blues and country. 

Lost Boys soundtrack perchance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Lo said:

Lost Boys soundtrack perchance?

I agree with this.  My musical taste goes backwards in time not forwards.  Brown Sugar is one of my favourite tunes to play (when we are allowed to), because of how it sounds.

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I love Brown Sugar. I couldn't care whether or not the lyrics are not to contemporary tastes. I just find it amusing that people get their panties in a knot over ephemeral things like pop songs when there are so many more important things to be concerned about in the world. You are correct that the N Minaj song is the one many quote, but it's just one among countless others. The difference between it and Brown Sugar is that it's sh1te and Brown Sugar isn't.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

The modern narrative is to change the past, so that it adheres to today's standards. So for example, books which are edited and have content changed or removed (Flemming; Dahl; Blyton etc).

Who is this author Flemming?

13 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

when we are allowed to

I have been playing in bands for over 40 years and have yet to be given a list of songs we are not allowed to play at a gig. 🤷‍♂️

What gigs are you playing where they're telling you what not to play? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TimR said:

FB_IMG_1717344700135.thumb.jpg.c5f203aa20f36c16613dc9633333e8df.jpg

It would be interesting to know when that data was compiled, and the ages of the people surveyed. All the young people (<30) I know seem to be huge fans of 1980s music.

We've just dropped American Idiot by Green Day. I told the guys I didn't want to play a song that used the word that also means meatballs but with offal. They said cool, life moved on. 

14 hours ago, TimR said:

That has just arrived at the start of a long, slightly tedious, teams meeting.  I must resist reading it, as otherwise I will miss the one solitary relevant sentence in the next three hours, and I have no idea when it will be or what it will be!

• Haha 1