Why become a member? ×

So we had a request ...

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

That has just arrived at the start of a long, slightly tedious, teams meeting.  I must resist reading it, as otherwise I will miss the one solitary relevant sentence in the next three hours, and I have no idea when it will be or what it will be!

I'll paraphrase it. They played lots of people a 30sec clip of each song from a selection of songs from the last few decades. People had to rate them as tonehetehr they liked the songs or not.

Study was done in 2010.

My guess is that since then radio has stopped playing the 'latest hits' and teenagers are consuming music from different sources.

However, the age at which you are introduced to songs and in particular the events in your life that coincide with you first hearing those songs will be reinforced as music, emotion and memory forming are all very closely related. As are smells and tastes.

Teenagers may well be listening to ABBA and other 80s songs more nowadays, possibly due to a lack of quality new music or maybe those songs are being used in films and advertising by 40 somethings because they remind them of their youth. 

Are we reaching peak music saturation, and hence music becoming more bland or having to have greater shock value to grab peoples attention?

Either way, in my experience, the pub crowd and party crowd don't want to listen to classic rock anymore. It's been done to death by various quality pub bands.