Why become a member? ×

David Gage Czech Ease Case

I’ve got a Czech Ease bass (which is great!) and it came with a case which was in terrible shape. Apparently the bass travelled all over the world and it basically disintegrated. 

The original manufacturer doesn’t make them any more and I was looking at an alternative. 

Does anyone have any idea what might fit it?

The specs suggest a 1/2 bag would fit but be good to get some advice from people who know!

• 1 month later...

Hey sir,

I’ve had mine for a while. The hard case had been around the world more times than the internet and it’s still hanging together by a prayer. The soft bag is possibly even worse and I still use it 4-5 times per week. Last year I came across the same problem. The new incarnation of the Gage shop quoted me 500 squids for another soft bag which is bonkers, so I basically enquired in every clothes alteration and upholstery shop I could find locally and finally found a very skilled person who patched and reinforced the bag, plus fitted a new zip. It’s still going strong 🤞🤞🤞🤞.

I don’t know if there is any other soft case that would allow you to fit the bass inside its hard case apart from the original, but you could try a 1/2 size, I really don’t know though. Best of luck and any help message me. Kind regards 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbie said:

Hey sir,

I’ve had mine for a while. The hard case had been around the world more times than the internet and it’s still hanging together by a prayer. The soft bag is possibly even worse and I still use it 4-5 times per week. Last year I came across the same problem. The new incarnation of the Gage shop quoted me 500 squids for another soft bag which is bonkers, so I basically enquired in every clothes alteration and upholstery shop I could find locally and finally found a very skilled person who patched and reinforced the bag, plus fitted a new zip. It’s still going strong 🤞🤞🤞🤞.

I don’t know if there is any other soft case that would allow you to fit the bass inside its hard case apart from the original, but you could try a 1/2 size, I really don’t know though. Best of luck and any help message me. Kind regards 

Hi Rabbie, I think this is what I’ll have to do.

I’m at a gig now and it really doesn’t fit into a 3/4 case. It’s sort of swims in it.

Hi @Burns-bass
Glad to hear you finally got a Czech Ease - I know you were after one for a while.

Just wondering whether the case you have is repairable? I was thinking maybe fibreglass - to patch the "body" of the case?
Many years ago, I used some fibreglass to repair the floor of my very first car -it was bloomin' tough stuff.
Of course, it would depend on where the damage is, and the extent......

Best of luck mate. Hope you're well

41 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Hi @Burns-bass
Glad to hear you finally got a Czech Ease - I know you were after one for a while.

Just wondering whether the case you have is repairable? I was thinking maybe fibreglass - to patch the "body" of the case?
Many years ago, I used some fibreglass to repair the floor of my very first car -it was bloomin' tough stuff.
Of course, it would depend on where the damage is, and the extent......

Best of luck mate. Hope you're well

Thanks Mark. 

The inside of the case had all perished and whenever you put it on the bass it left it covered in a cost of sticky residue. It was quite disgusting and so I binned it rather than having it in my house!

Apparently the bass has been to I did and the extreme heat had done it a real damage.

And yes, I’m loving the bass actually. What strings did you have on yours? The ones on there at the moment are OK, but I’m looking to upgrade when I get the cash. Would love you TE cab as well so I need to get saving.

• Like 1

Hi Lawrie.

Shame about the case. It would no doubt be tricky, trying to find another, since the basses were discontinued. 

I tried a few different strings on mine. I had spirocore Weichs on for a good while. Lately though, I had D'addario Zyex strings on it, and I liked them a lot.

The TE cab is really nice. However, since getting the AI Doubleshot, I'm not using the TE cab at all.

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

Hi Lawrie.

Shame about the case. It would no doubt be tricky, trying to find another, since the basses were discontinued. 

I tried a few different strings on mine. I had spirocore Weichs on for a good while. Lately though, I had D'addario Zyex strings on it, and I liked them a lot.

The TE cab is really nice. However, since getting the AI Doubleshot, I'm not using the TE cab at all.

Yeah. I’ve heard from two sources now that they’re prohibitively expensive. I’m going to try a normal 1/2 case. The dimensions all check out, so let’s hope it works. 

I’ve got a Barefaced cab that does the job I need but I’m a huge fan of the matching head and cab.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Yeah. I’ve heard from two sources now that they’re prohibitively expensive. I’m going to try a normal 1/2 case. The dimensions all check out, so let’s hope it works. 

I’ve got a Barefaced cab that does the job I need but I’m a huge fan of the matching head and cab.

I recall looking at the costs when they were still in production, and I think the cases were around £1k once you'd added postage and import duty - so they weren't cheap back then.
The body size of a 1/2 case is still a fair size - so your bass may still be moving about quite a bit. Let us know how you get on - best of luck with it.

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

I recall looking at the costs when they were still in production, and I think the cases were around £1k once you'd added postage and import duty - so they weren't cheap back then.
The body size of a 1/2 case is still a fair size - so your bass may still be moving about quite a bit. Let us know how you get on - best of luck with it.

Yeah I get all that, but it’ll be better than the 3/4 case I currently use!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbie said:

Keep us up to date please. Mine might need replaced soon too. Kind regards 

Will do.

I have to say the service from Thomann was amazing for a low value item. I spoke with someone there and literally measured the bass on a video call. The chap went away and processed all the details to find me what he considered would fit. And if it doesn’t I can return it back for free.

I tried 3 UK bass shops (via email) and had no response.

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Will do.

I have to say the service from Thomann was amazing for a low value item. I spoke with someone there and literally measured the bass on a video call. The chap went away and processed all the details to find me what he considered would fit. And if it doesn’t I can return it back for free.

I tried 3 UK bass shops (via email) and had no response.

That is very impressive service! Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2024 at 21:10, NickA said:

Bass bags do custom cases. They'll get anything made up.  Give them a call and talk to David ( NB: you might be on the phone a while 🙂 ).

Another Hup for BassBags.. I spoke to them then visited when passing for a gig; I needed to try my particularly large db in the bag rather than shipping things back and forth. Found them to be really helpful and knowledgeable. 

As I walked in with my old bag (the foam had  as mentioned above, perished with age, best part of 20 years but now a grotty sticky residue) they said "Where did you get that bag? We made it!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2024 at 12:22, hubrad said:

Another Hup for BassBags.. I spoke to them then visited when passing for a gig; I needed to try my particularly large db in the bag rather than shipping things back and forth. Found them to be really helpful and knowledgeable. 

As I walked in with my old bag (the foam had  as mentioned above, perished with age, best part of 20 years but now a grotty sticky residue) they said "Where did you get that bag? We made it!"

i’m having the same problem with my Gage travel bass bag so i’m looking for a new one. I guess they could make a new one?

• 3 weeks later...

update, in case anyone needs some info…

bassbags can’t make one as they don’t have the patent or the blueprint…

Gage is not replying at all…

did a bit of measuring and then I bought a Roth@Junius 1/2 size from Thomann and as much as it’s not a perfect fit i think it will do the job just fine and certainly much better than the original which is falling apart.

E4AB4208-E28D-4801-8F0F-E7946A73B555.jpeg

Edited by triplebass

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

This was the advice I was given by Thomann. The 1/4 was just a little too small.

Yes, the 1/4 is definitely too small. I measured the bass and looked through the 1/2 options and this was the only one that seemed it could possibly maybe fit. And it just does. :)

The bag is still a bit too long but because of that the bass fits where it otherwise wouldn't - it's bottom and bridge area are much deeper than on a 1/2 bass.