Why become a member? ×

You're a punk and you'll amount to nothing!!! Tell that to three of the most educated musicians out there...

17 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Dunno about this stuff, and I'll just revert you to my daughter's in-depth analysis:
Martine (4) :
"Dad, these rockers ... their heads are so filled with rock that there's no space left for intelligence. Now, I like rock too, but at least I have space left for intelligence."

Famous quotes thread!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think we're going to have many more PhD qualified musicians in future as UK unis churn-out many thousands each year (around 24k in 2022).  It's a big money-spinner for UK HE and PhDs don't really feel that 'special' any more.  Music does though.  

I'm not suggesting that a doctoral qualification doesn't require some immensely hard-work - it does.  A lot of people want them and are prepared to pay the price in terms of effort and hard cash.  Maybe some candidates get involved in the hope/expectation of improved lifetime earnings - a way of subsidising an expensive musical hobby and one that seems to pay very little these days (venue closures, cash-strapped pubs etc.)   

Edited by three

On 25/05/2024 at 18:37, SteveXFR said:

Just tell people you have a BSc. They won't know it means bronze swimming certificate rather than bachelor of science. 

The fans of Red Dwarf will!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2024 at 08:50, Barking Spiders said:

PhDs are not about passing exams but involve extensive original thinking and research. GCSEs may all be about box ticking and A levels don't really require much critical thought but higher degrees, especially in STEM subjects, are special and do indicate advanced intelligence. 

Having supervised doctoral candidates - quite a lot - across the arts and humanities, social sciences and STEM (I've had a bit of an unusual academic career), I've concluded that there's no real difference in required 'intelligence' across the disciplines.  Doctoral study isn't easy and vivas are tough!  Music can be very helpful therapy throughout the process  

• Like 1

Talking of rock'n'roll doctors, John Cooper Clarke (though he's a well deserved honorary doc)

I'll tell you now and I'll tell you firmly
I don't never want to go to Burnley
What they do there don't concern me
Why would anybody make the journey?

I'll tell you know and I'll tell you flatly
I don't never want to go to Gatley
I don't even want to go to Batley
Where is that place exactly

Do I wanna to go to Redditch?
I wouldn't visit in a souped-up sheddish
what am I some kind of Nebbish?
No I don't want to go to Reddish

I'll tell you now and I'll tell you briefley
I don't never want to go to Keighley
I'll tell you now, just like I told Elsa Lanchester...
I don't ever want to go to... Cumbernauld

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Puzzling thread, this. It's almost as if some are surprised that musicians have achieved higher academic qualifications. When you consider what understanding music requires of you, it's more surprising that musicians wouldn't be capable of doing so. I don't mean that in a formal sense - plenty may have chosen not to pursue academic qualifications, but that's a far cry from their not being able to. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Puzzling thread, this. It's almost as if some are surprised that musicians have achieved higher academic qualifications. When you consider what understanding music requires of you, it's more surprising that musicians wouldn't be capable of doing so. I don't mean that in a formal sense - plenty may have chosen not to pursue academic qualifications, but that's a far cry from their not being able to. 

Which is why it is infuriating that the subject has been relegated within education for the past 20+ years. Not only is music important in its own right but there is strong evidence that it also helps in the study of other subjects.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I work with two doctors of engineering. They make me feel thick.

If you want an East Devonian Mesozoic core sample analysed then I'm your man.

If you want someone to quickly calculate a restaurant bill five ways then you're best looking elsewhere.

Sadly my training presents precious few opportunities to make me look remotely clever.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think that @binky_bass's point was more that there is probably an assumption that blokes playing punk are a bit thick, plus the word punk being derived from a term for loser anyway, but there are plenty of counter examples.

Which I think has been admirably demonstrated. 🤘🎶

Edited by Richard R
Typo, as usual :-(
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, three said:

I think we're going to have many more PhD qualified musicians in future as UK unis churn-out many thousands each year (around 24k in 2022).  It's a big money-spinner for UK HE and PhDs don't really feel that 'special' any more.  Music does though.  

I'm not suggesting that a doctoral qualification doesn't require some immensely hard-work - it does.  A lot of people want them and are prepared to pay the price in terms of effort and hard cash.  Maybe some candidates get involved in the hope/expectation of improved lifetime earnings - a way of subsidising an expensive musical hobby and one that seems to pay very little these days (venue closures, cash-strapped pubs etc.)   

That's about 3% of people given there's around 740k people for each year group. 

They're probably now the equivalent of the old degrees. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

If you want someone to quickly calculate a restaurant bill five ways then you're best looking elsewhere.

move the decimal point 1 place to the left then double it  😁.

these guys are all bachelors , it’s not because they never married (my uncle John was a priest and did the wedding of one of them) so they must be well educated !

IMG_7731.thumb.jpeg.5533f504bf43b1a8d513224a506fbbe4.jpeg

• Haha 3

Another to add to the list... Sam Vallen of Caligula's Horse has a PhD in Music from Queensland University. Saw the last night in Islington, epic show. If you've not heard of them, definitely give them a listen, fantastically impressive guitar work...

20240601_223510.thumb.jpg.3db5eb3330809f54db4628e6e588cd70.jpg

I have a PhD (though we insist on calling it a DPhil here) in virology.

The pianist I usually play with is a professor of atmospheric physics. I used to play with a different pianist who was in laser physics.