Why become a member? ×

Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added - *WITHDRAWN*
£1100
South Essex nr M25

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Up for sale is a beautiful handmade Everson Caiman T4. This very bass was reviewed by Bass magazine, I'll include the magazine in the sale

It's handbuild in the UK by Paul Everson,
The body is Honduran mahogany with macassar ebony top,
3 piece walnut/maple neck, ebony fretboard, 24 frets (plus zero fret),
Tesla single coil & humbucker with custom ebony covers,
EMG 3EQ, Hipshot USA bridge and tuners.

The condition is like new 9.5 /10, set is low action, it sounds and plays fantastic

This is the lightest bass I've ever played at only 3.0kg / 6.6lbs !

I bought this bass some years ago when I was looking for a light bass after regular gigging left me with a painful left shoulder. Bandmates were often surprised to find my bass was lighter than their guitars...

It comes with a padded case, as pictured

I'm asking £1100.00, which is what I paid for it

Thanks for reading

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Edited by essexbasscat
  • Like 15

• essexbasscat changed the title to Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb !

I've owned two everson basses and they are utterly sublime instruments. The craftsmanship and woods are incredible. The only reason I didn't keep the two I owned is because I'm a lanky twit with long monkey arms and they didn't sit right on me. 

glwts!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Exactly, it's a quality hand built instrument, if it had Smith etc on the headstock you could quadruple the price. Also comes with the Bass magazine with the article where this very instrument was reviewed, pictures of the magazine below

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

• Like 1

• essexbasscat changed the title to Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the conclusion from the review by Bass magazine verbatim

"The Caiman T4 has two distinct sides to it's character. The first is that of an instrument built by an artisan luthier. This is obvious when you look at details like the perfectly oiled finish, the exquisitely made ebony pickup covers and the tiny walnut plate that covers the truss rod end. 

The other aspect of this bass is it's functionality. It's obviously been planned and engineered by someone with fastidious attention to detail, and with a vision from the outset about how they want this bass to function and sound when completed. Perhaps the slightly unorthodox shape (ergonomic as it is) may put a few conservative bass players off, but it shouldn't. It's refreshing to play a bass where form so gracefully follows function - and anyway, for many bass players a unique shape is a definite plus

With this level of craftsmanship and near obsessive attention to detail, the Caiman T4 is by any measure a real bargain, and at this price it's hard to find anything to criticise. It would have been a nice touch to have the back battery and control cavity plates made from the same coloured mahogany as the body - but that's really the best I can come up with"

I'm talking myself into keeping this bass, it's quality really is first class, if other things sell this will be coming off the market 

• essexbasscat changed the title to Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added. Update - £1000.00 for this weekend only
  • essexbasscat changed the title to Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added. Update - £990.00 for today only
  • essexbasscat changed the title to Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added

Each marque has certain instruments that are notable for one reason or another, instruments that will recognisable from the rest when people research the marque in years to come. They could be the first of a production run, or a particular instrument that someone famous once played 

This is one of those basses, reviewed by Bass magazine it will be noticable from the rest in years to come, a piece of history that can only increase in value over time. There isn't another one with this background, with the instantly recognisable coffee table face it's as individual as they come, there isn't another one !    

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Calling @Raslee!

Cheers mate, yes I keep coming back and looking at this, it’s the wild card in my current Spector, Sandberg conundrum.

@essexbasscat , could you tell us more about the sounds - I know this is subjective but any comparisons, vintage modern , what the controls do? Is it a 34” scale - looks a long neck…any neck dive etc? 

Posted (edited)

I'm away from the instrument at the moment, but I do have the the Bass magazine to hand that reviewed it, here's what they say;

"The distinctive headstock design adds balance both visually and in terms of weight distribution and the bass sits perfectly on the strap. The shape of the lower horn has also been carefully designed: playing the T4 when sitting feels completely effortless, the balance and low weight meaning that the bass doesn't move an inch, even if you momentarily let go of the slim, comfortable neck. Unusually, the pickups are sized for five string, the extra width meaning that the top edge of each is perfectly placed for use as a thumb rest.

The T4 may not weigh much but there's nothing lightweight about the way it sounds. This is a versatile bass in terms of tone, the the choice of woods dictate a distinctive and classy sound however the controls are set. The use of the Tesla five string pickups rather than the more commonly seen EMG's or Bartolinis is an inspired choice. With the EQ flat and the pan control midway, the natural voice of the T4 is dark and powerful, perhaps slightly biased to harmonically -rich low mids but with a clear bite to the front of the note. 

No matter where you are on the smooth ebony fretboard, the sounds remains clear and full with an amazing sustain. This extraordinary evenness could be due in part to the extra width of the pickup coils, but as it's something that's noticeable even before the bass is plugged in, the overall quality of both timbers and construction - not to mention the perfectly polished frets - are no doubt the main reasons for this. 

The shallow body, lean neck and deep lower cutaway means that access to the top of the two octave fretboard is completely unhindered - and it's tempting to say straight off the bat that this would make a perfect instrument for a soloist. It would, but that's only half the story. Panning towards the front pickup and playing around with the powerful EQ soon scores you a hefty rock tone, with the pickups pumping out more than enough oomph to send the front end valves of an amp into overdrive. Even with the mini toggle switch set to passive, the sound is full and powerful, with all those traditional blues flavours available"

It's 34" scale with a zero fret, nut width 40mm, 24 frets, ebony fretboard. The body is Honduran mahogony with macassar ebony top, the neck is three piece walnut / maple.  

I'm having to remind myself why I'm selling this bass, typing this quote from Bass magazine reminds me why I bought it in the first place, if it doesn't sell soon I'm going to keep this one... for sure 

Edited by essexbasscat

• essexbasscat changed the title to Hand made Everson Caiman T4 6.6 lb ! photos of Bass magazine review of this instrument added *withdrawn*