Why become a member? ×

N(Budget)(Backup)BD

Posted (edited)

I previously asked for people’s options on an another thread about Squier Broncos as I was looking for a cheap backup bass to my Vintera Mustang. 

I was all but ready to order a Bronco and then this little beauty popped up on Bass Bros… for £55 more than a Bronco less shipping.

I did something unlike myself and just pulled the trigger almost immediately on the basis that even if it’s not amazing, it’s a backup and will almost always live in its case in the van. 

I ordered the bass on Tuesday and it was delivered in an incredibly padded box on Friday morning. 

I gigged it straight away on Friday and Saturday night and I’ve got to say, I’m blown away by this little thing. The finish in particular is beautiful and it’s so easy to play. 

Possibly the best set up I’ve ever had on a bass, not a single clank or fret buzz, but with a lovely low action. It’s a wider neck than my mustang which took a minute to get used to but otherwise, It was so easy to play out of the box.

I think it will likely continue to be my backup as I still think I prefer the Mustang. Strangely, although the Gretsch is a smaller overall length because of the smaller body, It feels bigger than the Mustang and Im finding the Mustang sits more comfortably when playing standing. 

Again, I find the tone is so nice but, for whatever reason (likely because I’ve been dialling in the Mustang for so long) I find the Mustang just cuts through ever so slightly better with our Amp-less setup. But, I’ll definitely get it out of the van more than I had initially planned!

oh, and bonus, my 4 year old had an absolute blast playing with the mountain of bubble wrap whilst I inspected and noodled for 10 mins! 

Anyway, one happy chappy. These are well worth a punt if a 2nd hand one comes up!

Alex IMG_2532.thumb.jpeg.1986d096471ecd3845333fba479f9b04.jpegIMG_2539.thumb.jpeg.cbcc328d6d2e4fb0c677e3f5e72e1d6a.jpegIMG_3840.thumb.jpeg.1b91020c3f4be237c4fbde6cfefb046f.jpeg

Edited by AlexDelores
  • Like 17

• AlexDelores changed the title to N(Budget)(Backup)BD
3 hours ago, rushbo said:

I do really like the look of these basses - and great to see an old school B3 in use!

Thanks!

I sometimes look at getting a standalone preamp but I keep coming back to the fact that the B3 gets the job done. Considering I’ve never updated it or spent more than 15 mins tweaking a patch, the B3 does a lovely job. 

But, it’s only really used as a preamp and a little chorus. My foot is too busy hitting a bass drum pedal for the entire set to be changing through lots of effects 😅